Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Chrome!

That was probably one of the best rides, and best races I have seen in a long time!!! Congrats Chromie!!
Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Hawthorne

And Beholder ran her heart out! That was a great performance by California Chrome! Excellent race and Dortmund ran his race .
Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
And Beholder ran her heart out! That was a great performance by California Chrome! Excellent race and Dortmund ran his race .
Dortmund ran his race? I think its fair to say he bounced/regressed off his career top last time.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:34 PM
The Curragh

Dortmund needs to go BC Dirt Mile.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Newmarket

If Victor rode that way in the Belmont Stakes, HE would have been the 12th Triple Crown Champion he's a MONSTER now!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 08-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Dortmund ran his race? I think its fair to say he bounced/regressed off his career top last time.
No, I think it fair to say that Chrome is just in a different league. That is no knock on Dortmund who is a very nice horse. But, he is just not as good Chrome, who is the best horse in training right now.

Paul
Old 08-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
No, I think it fair to say that Chrome is just in a different league. That is no knock on Dortmund who is a very nice horse. But, he is just not as good Chrome, who is the best horse in training right now.

Paul
Yup
Old 08-21-2016, 02:44 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
If Victor rode that way in the Belmont Stakes, HE would have been the 12th Triple Crown Champion he's a MONSTER now!
He grabbed a quarter. I'm not sure you can blame it on Victor.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Paul
I reluctantly have to concede that it's hard to argue against California Chrome at this point but I'm still going with Songbird. Just opinion though. No facts to back it.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Hawthorne

I don't see Songbird even remotely in the same class as Chrome, he would dust her.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I reluctantly have to concede that it's hard to argue against California Chrome at this point but I'm still going with Songbird. Just opinion though. No facts to back it.
I'm of the popular belief around here that Songbird, while very good, is a tad over rated.

Hell, I think Enola Gray is better.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I am a huge Songbird fan. But, to put her in the same breath as the top older horse is silly. She has only run in restricted races and has yet to face older fillies or mares let along males. Chrome horrified two of the top older horses in training. Big difference.

Paul
Old 08-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Oriental Park

Judging buy some of the pros on twitter u get the feeling that Songbird for her record is not that highly thought of. She is somewhere between very very good and great.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Judging buy some of the pros on twitter u get the feeling that Songbird for her record is not that highly thought of. She is somewhere between very very good and great.
I think that's a pretty accurate way of evaluating her, with the added comment that the rest of the crop is mostly poor.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
I think that's a pretty accurate way of evaluating her, with the added comment that the rest of the crop is mostly poor.
I actually think the 3 year old fillys are a nice group. MUCH better then the colts. Comparing anything filly to Rachel is ridiculous.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I actually think the 3 year old fillys are a nice group. MUCH better then the colts. Comparing anything filly to Rachel is ridiculous.
Huh?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Santa Anita

Two years ago, or for that matter, last year, who could have predicted that California Chrome would be The Horse as a five year old? And would have $13M in earnings? Every time we see him this year he looks impressive as can be, on the muscle and sharp. He's a great one, and a wonderful tribute to Art Sherman.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Goodwood

It makes you appreciate Shared Belief even more.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Bank View Post
That was probably one of the best rides, and best races I have seen in a long time!!! Congrats Chromie!!
I thought the same thing. (especially the horse) He eased at the end and ran 2:00.13 Could have broke Candy Rides record of 1:59.11 if he kept going.

I'm giving him the Horse of the Year award now cause I don't think there is another horse in this country who can beat him.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I am a huge Songbird fan. But, to put her in the same breath as the top older horse is silly. She has only run in restricted races and has yet to face older fillies or mares let along males. Chrome horrified two of the top older horses in training. Big difference.

Paul
As I said, there are no facts to back my feelings so I won't even try. I wouldn't use the fact that she has only faced her own sex or hasn't run outside of restricted races as the argument against her. Sometimes, the toughest competition comes from your own group. Easy Goer was destroying older horses but couldn't handle Sunday Silence. Before her last couple, many felt that Beholder was the best in the country so beating her might have been a tougher challenge than beating the boys.

Again, I'm conceding that I probably am overrating Songbird because her sorry competition has made her look better than she is and if my life depended on it, I'd take Chrome over her. But I just have a feeling that we are seeing a truly special horse and the best is yet to come from her and she's gonna surprise some people.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine