Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM
The Curragh

Default 9-11-01 where were you?

where were you when you first heard the news and how did you spend the rest of the day

i was almost home (indianapolis) from a race we had in memphis, tn. was sitting in a burger king drive thru listening to bob and tom when christy (she is on their show, handles the news, etc) said oh my god a plane just hit the wtc. was only a couple miles from the office. when i got to the office everyone was gathered in the confrence room. we all sat in horror and watched it unfold. around 1pm we went back to work but little got done.

i remember that night driving home and just looking at the faces of passer by's. going to the store, just the look on everyones faces. then trying to go to sleep that night.

rip
Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
where were you when you first heard the news and how did you spend the rest of the day

i was almost home (indianapolis) from a race we had in memphis, tn. was sitting in a burger king drive thru listening to bob and tom when christy (she is on their show, handles the news, etc) said oh my god a plane just hit the wtc. was only a couple miles from the office. when i got to the office everyone was gathered in the confrence room. we all sat in horror and watched it unfold. around 1pm we went back to work but little got done.

i remember that night driving home and just looking at the faces of passer by's. going to the store, just the look on everyones faces. then trying to go to sleep that night.

rip
Curt,
I was at school teaching 3rd graders when I heard the news. So tragic.
Then my thoughts went to my nephew who is an electrical engineer, working at the Time Warner building (near the WTC). He made it home safely but he walked the length of Manhatten to cross the GW bridge on his way home to Paramus, NJ. He didn't arrive home until 2:00 AM. Needless to say, we were all worried. It took him two months to get to the point that he could return to his job.
Some of my friends in NJ lost husbands, fathers. The NYFD and NYPD, as well as the Port Authority all did such a heroic job!
The world has changed.
My thoughts are with all of the families that lost loved ones on that tragic day. Their daily anguish is something that doesn't go away. Perhaps they find comfort in the fact that all of us also mourn with them.
May all the fallen rest in peace.
DTS
Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Hialeah Park

Here's a story...a bit long, but if you have the time, worth reading.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15476714.htm
Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
eurobounce

I was at The University of Cincinnati.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Sheepshead Bay

I was home getting ready to go to the Boat at Shreveport for a couple days of gaming. Had te TV on and watched from the onset when the first thought a large fire. With my experience as a 30+year vetern of the DFD this was horriable when I first saw, thinking it was a fire abofe the 70th floor. I had an experiencing a high rise on the 28th thru 30th floor here in dallas several years ago and that was a hair raising experience with no elevators. When the second plane hit , even with my training , I could not comprehend a plan of evacuation, Evwn with all the mistakes that were made the Evacuation of and saving of 30k ives was the major thing that happened.The loss of life was bad but the possibility of much greater devastion was my fear. Just think if you can master 1 floor a min. What a great job of evacuation of the buildings this was under the most trying conditions. What a tragady but what an accomplishment.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I was rollerblading to work at the zoo, as usual. I was on Sixth Avenue, heading uptown, somewhere in the 20s when I noticed everyone was standing around, facing downtown. I turned around and saw the smoke billowing out of the first tower. Like a lot of other NYC'ers, I assumed some drunk idiot in a twin-engine had flown into the building and my stomach dropped at the thought of the couple dozen people I imagined hurt or killed. After watching for about 5 minutes, I turned and continued skating to work. As I wheeled into the office, I said, "Hey guys, a plane hit the World Trade Center!" and one of my fellow actors said, "The other Tower's been hit, too." And that's when it fully hit me.

I got on the phone to call my family and let them know I was nowhere near the Towers and the rest of the actors trooped up to the main offices to watch on the only TV screen we have at work (no cable, so the reception was crappy). When I got up there, they told me one of the towers had collapsed and I couldn't wrap my head around it. Finally I grasped it, just in time for my friend to say, "There goes the other one" and like most of America, I saw the Tower collapse via TV screen, too.

I remember sitting under my desk and weeping, and I remember meeting my boyfriend (now husband) at the zoo after everything in the city was closed (around 12:30 we were sent home) and wandering the streets for a few hours, trying to find someplace to donate blood, but the lines were hours long everywhere and if you weren't type O, they sent you away. I remember watching the thousands of people heading over the Queensborough bridge as we crossed away from them and went to my best friend's apartment in the West 50's to huddle together and watch the TV. Later we trudged home, (keeping the windows shut because the smoke and odor was unbearable for a few days when you went outisde). The next day I hit the streets, frantic to find a few postcards with a picture of the WTC on it (little did I know, WTC images would become a veritable cottage industry. I can't bear seeing pictures of it anymore; it hurts too much).

Here's a poem someone emailed to me in the weeks afterwards-- about the buildings themselves (which were complained about and criticized from the moment they were built). I don't know the author.

They were never the favorites,
Not the Carmen Miranda Chrysler's
Nor Rockefeller's magic boxes
Not the Empire, which I think would
have killed us all if she fell.

They were the two young dumb guys,
Beer drinking
Downtown MBAs
Swaggering across the skyline,
Not too bright.

Now that they are gone
They are like young men
Lost at war,
Not having had their life yet,
Not having grown wise and softened
with air and time.

They are lost like
Cannon fodder
Like farm boys throughout time
Stunned into death
Not knowing what hit them
And beloved
By the weeping Mothers left

Even two years afterwards I would still exit the subway, look for the WTC to get my bearings, and then I'd remember and it would roll over me all over again.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Hawthorne

Unhappy

[quote=2MinsToPost]where were you when you first heard the news and how did you spend the rest of the day

I live in California and remember cleaning and feeding my horses at approximately 5:30 am, the Country station I listen to in my barn interrupted the song playing and announced that NewYork City was under a terrorist attack. I ran into my house and turned on the TV just in time to see the first Tower falling, I called my boss and told her to turn on the TV, she was shocked, than my family, friends started calling to ask if I knew. I commute an hour into L.A. by train to work, everyone was just so animated and shocked. I finally got to my office and was promptly told the Governor was closing all of L.A. down and for everyone to go home before the trains were ordered to stop running. It was a very surreal experience, I remember I was listening to Howard Stern in my car and he was telling the drama as it unfolded, even he was very freaked out by the whole thing.

I actually went to the site last 9-11 to see first hand the site and left flowers, there were NYPD there and they gave me a first hand eye-witness account of their morning that awful day, the pain and despair was still evident in their faces and memories.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

I was on the tractor sowing wheat......

It was one of the nice John Deere's with a radio and air conditioning, so I just listened to NPR all day and didn't see or talk to a single soul.

Didn't really realize the impact until I got back home that night and watched the news.

A couple of weeks later when I was cutting the stalks on the same tractor after we picked cotton, NPR had that orchestra thing from the United Kingdom that played Adagio for Strings in tribute to America.

I stopped the tractor and cried just thinking of how sad that was.

It really was one of the only times of my young life that I can remember feeling the gravitas of life as we know it as humans.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Havre de Grace

GR: thanks for sharing the poem, and your sentiment. Truly, nobody looks at the world the same way after that day.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Keeneland

I was attending FGCU in Ft. Myers and I was in my Marketing class. I remember thinking what a terrible accident it was when they showed the first plane crashing. When I saw the second one, I knew it was no accident and it brought me to tears. I never thought I'd see an attack on our own soil in my lifetime and I was dumbfounded and in shock that someone would do this. My college was in headline news that year as we had a professor openly supporting the terrorists. Made me sick...
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
Truly, nobody looks at the world the same way after that day.
Really? Apparently you're unaware that horrible **** goes on all over the world on a daily basis.

By the way...I was 150 yards from the second tower when it got hit. It didn't change how I look at the world.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Really? Apparently you're unaware that horrible **** goes on all over the world on a daily basis.

By the way...I was 150 yards from the second tower when it got hit. It didn't change how I look at the world.
Thank you. I am so sick of getting told to never forget. Especially since a lot of the people saying it have conveniently forgot hundreds of other atrocities both at home and overseas. I thought one of the great things about being an American is that I have the right to remember or forget whatever the hell I feel like.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

I have NO idea what sparked that response! I was responding to anothers' post! Of course, 9/11 is not the only atrocity or act of barbarism....it's just the most visual to Americans
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

We all react differently; that's for sure. I had a dear friend down there who suffered a heart attack on the spot, and while he didn't die then, his health never really recovered and he died less than a year later. And he'd been a drill sergeant in Vietnam, so I know he'd seen bad stuff before.

Yes, worse has happened before and worse has and will happen since. But it doesn't take away from the sorrow of that day. In any event, I'm glad you were okay, blacktw. Did you get out of the area before the buildings came down? (i.e., did you escape having to breathe in all the dirt and ash that came down?)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Who says our way is the best way of life? Americia has become a bunch of Jehovah Witness's when it comes to making people believe our way is the best. Not saying what Bin Laden was right but we invaded Iraq because Sadam has been the USA b-itch of the Middle East and he stood up against us instead of looking for Laden himself. How many people has the USA killed in our hunt for this guy? I bet more than the terriost did on 9-11 itself. Who's killing is more justified?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

how bout them bears...put a ass wippin on ol bret..again..lay down bret ..lay down..
Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
how bout them bears...put a ass wippin on ol bret..again..lay down bret ..lay down..
thats right, i did not want this to turn out the way it did. another day, another time for a political soap opera. not on the 5 year anniversary

hooves, brett is becoming a has been hey? time to step aside and let the future of the organization take shape.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964
Who says our way is the best way of life? Americia has become a bunch of Jehovah Witness's when it comes to making people believe our way is the best. Not saying what Bin Laden was right but we invaded Iraq because Sadam has been the USA b-itch of the Middle East and he stood up against us instead of looking for Laden himself. How many people has the USA killed in our hunt for this guy? I bet more than the terriost did on 9-11 itself. Who's killing is more justified?

I say our way of life is better. Dont like it? You are free to try another. Try THAT somewhere else.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

oh I like the way of life I have but I'm not going to shove it down someones throat,Or up your or anyone elses arse. Many country's are dong well without being liberated and freed by the USA.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964
oh I like the way of life I have but I'm not going to shove it down someones throat,Or up your or anyone elses arse. Many country's are dong well without being liberated and freed by the USA.

Sure there are but they arent the ones that you are speaking of. What about all the countries that are FED by the USA ? If we were to practice isolationism in those instances then we are the bad guys because all those poor people starved?

What do you think all those countries that are doing so well would do if we sent in suicide bombers to kill thier citizens? Send their version of Jimmy Carter to negotiate?