Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Keeneland

Default Mitt Romney sold a drugged horse

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/an...eys-high-horse

Ann and Mitt Romney sold a dressage horse, Super Hit ($125,000). After sale, the horse was found to have four drugs in it's system as painkillers/sedatives.

The Romney's were sued. The case settled out of court.

The expert witness against the Romney's was an FEI vet.

The horse had a foot problem (coffin bone) and a contralateral compensatory lameness. The drugs found (they are spelled incorrectly in the Buzzfeed article, see the original lab report) were:

Butorphenol - sedative and mild analgesic, opiod
Xylazine - short-term sedation and analgesic, alpha-2 receptor agonist
Detomidine - primarily sedation and some analgesia, alpha-2 agonist, lasts longer than xylazine
Romifidine - used for standing sedation and mild analgesia.

When you combine Xylazine or detomidine or romifidine with butorphenol, you get nice pain control and sedation. With no ataxia (stumbling, tripping, falling over)

Some yahoo put all four in this horse to calm and mask the lamenesses.

Romney is scum.

I don't care if he didn't know about this, and the trainer had a vet do it, or more likely, chose to do it his self, without the Romney's knowledge (very common, unfortunately) - it's cheating, it's fraud, it's deception, it's theft by deception, and worse, it's dangerous for the horse, for the rider.

Money above horse welfare. Eff you, Mitt Romney. I hope your campaign is over now.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Quote:
The case with Romney was settled last September and she is no longer involved in the lawsuit.
Quote:
Romney is scum.

I don't care if he didn't know about this, and the trainer had a vet do it, or more likely, chose to do it his self, without the Romney's knowledge (very common, unfortunately) - it's cheating, it's fraud, it's deception, it's theft by deception, and worse, it's dangerous for the horse, for the rider.

Money above horse welfare. Eff you, Mitt Romney. I hope your campaign is over now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/us...pagewanted=all
Quote:
Last September, on the eve of a jury trial, Mrs. Romney was dropped from the lawsuit before it was settled out of court.

Nine days after ending her case against Mrs. Romney and the Ebelings, Ms. Norris settled with Dr. Herthel. The veterinarian’s lawyer, Mr. Schwartz, said his client paid no money. “They did not have a viable case and they quit,” he said.
You don't care if Romney didn't know about this -- he's scum even though the vet or trainer might have done it without his knowledge. Wow.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Keeneland

The horse was sold with four drugs in it's system, that, first, must be revealed on a pre-purchase exam if the seller is simply specifically asked, "has the horse had a tranquilizer or painkiller?" and secondly, are a non-medical hodgepodge of painkiller and sedatives not used as a ridiculous cocktail.

When you purchase a horse, it's "buyer beware" 100% of the time. This buyer was smart. The seller was a cheat.

Romney was the owner. The owner is responsible for what his trainer, or his vet, put into the horse, whether he knows about it or not.

There is no way any owner paying the bills would not know this horse was being drugged sound. Before any sale was considered.

Try to explain this away and stand up for Romney. It won't go anywhere. Putting his dog on a crate on the top of the car is nothing compared to the fraud and deceit of selling a lame horse, that has been drugged to mask the lamenesses, for $125,000.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts

Last edited by Riot : 06-22-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Coach Pants

What Quiet is doing is damage control for her God. You see, her God was caught shipping guns to Mexico in order to fuel media propaganda for a gun ban. The sycophants can deflect, defend, attack all they want. Those are the indisputable facts for normal human beings who aren't in a high fructose corn syrup induced coma.

While doing this obvious damage control she abandons humanity and puts one horse above Mexicans and border patrol agents.

For shame. But that's the type of evil we're dealing with.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

When you combine Xylazine or detomidine or romifidine with butorphenol, you get nice pain control and sedation. With no ataxia (stumbling, tripping, falling over.. how would you know...this does explain a few things..
Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

Ann and Mitt Romney sold a dressage horse, Super Hit ($125,000). After sale, the horse was found to have four drugs in it's system as painkillers/sedatives.

The expert witness against the Romney's was an FEI vet.

The horse had a foot problem (coffin bone) and a contralateral compensatory lameness. The drugs found (they are spelled incorrectly in the Buzzfeed article, see the original lab report) were:

Butorphenol - sedative and mild analgesic, opiod
Xylazine - short-term sedation and analgesic, alpha-2 receptor agonist
Detomidine - primarily sedation and some analgesia, alpha-2 agonist, lasts longer than xylazine
Romifidine - used for standing sedation and mild analgesia.

When you combine Xylazine or detomidine or romifidine with butorphenol, you get nice pain control and sedation. With no ataxia (stumbling, tripping, falling over)

Some yahoo put all four in this horse to calm and mask the lamenesses.

Romney is scum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLiCNS86ZYo
Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post
When you combine Xylazine or detomidine or romifidine with butorphenol, you get nice pain control and sedation. With no ataxia (stumbling, tripping, falling over.. how would you know...this does explain a few things..
I know because I have the DEA license for dispensing those drugs, I know what drugs we use together, and why, and what their effects are.

Your bu.lls.h.ait attempt to imply I'm a cheater is just that - ignorant bull.shi.at.

And there's nothing more pathetic than watching some of you, those who pretend hate those evil cheating race trainers that take your gambling money, try and justify the exact same fraud in Mitt Romney's world.

This has nothing to do with politics. This has nothing to do with Fast and Furious. This, too, has nothing at all to do with Obama, or Buddy Roemer, or Ron Paul. This is not politics. It goes to the man's - Mitt Romney's - ethics and morals.

You guys put your politics before horses? Nice.

Last edited by Riot : 06-22-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I know because I have the DEA license for dispensing those drugs, I know what drugs we use together, and why, and what their effects are.

Your bu.lls.h.ait attempt to imply I'm a cheater is just that - ignorant bull.shi.at.

And there's nothing more pathetic than watching some of you, those who pretend hate those evil cheating race trainers that take your gambling money, try and justify the exact same fraud in Mitt Romney's world.

This has nothing to do with politics. This has nothing to do with Fast and Furious. This, too, has nothing at all to do with Obama, or Buddy Roemer, or Ron Paul. This is not politics. It goes to the man's - Mitt Romney's - ethics and morals.

You guys put your politics before horses? Nice.
Wow - your little tirade, I thought, based on this:
""Romney is scum.

I don't care if he didn't know about this, and the trainer had a vet do it, or more likely, chose to do it his self, without the Romney's knowledge (very common, unfortunately) - it's cheating, it's fraud, it's deception, it's theft by deception, and worse, it's dangerous for the horse, for the rider.""

Was to attempt to assassinate his character - Ok fine you may have a point.

Then, when someone points out how Obama is responsible for over 2000 firearms being walked over the border specifically to be put in the hands of the drug cartels, many of which have turned up at violent crime scenes on both sides of the border and are responsible for at least 2 murders of US Border Patrol agents - that says nothing about his character? That just politics?

You're in rare form today.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Havre de Grace

Default holy pearl harbor batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post

wow, what a fargin cheapshot that was. "them's fightin words in my country. but we're not in my country." - Shemp Howard
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
There is no way any owner paying the bills would not know this horse was being drugged sound.
Right. No way.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
What Quiet is doing is damage control for her God. You see, her God was caught shipping guns to Mexico in order to fuel media propaganda for a gun ban. The sycophants can deflect, defend, attack all they want. Those are the indisputable facts for normal human beings who aren't in a high fructose corn syrup induced coma.

While doing this obvious damage control she abandons humanity and puts one horse above Mexicans and border patrol agents.

For shame. But that's the type of evil we're dealing with.

exactly that F&F thing is a total disgrace and that turd Holder can't man up and take responsibility and neither can the turd in the White House.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Keeneland

It's sad that when you guys have nothing at all regarding the subject, some of you immediately resort to insulting and attacking the messenger

"Ad hominem - it's for losers"

I suggest you guys click on the Buzzfeed link, and read the actual testimony from the expert witness yourselves. It gets good about page 12-14, but you'll need the background.

This was clearly not dismissed as "there was no case".

The horse had documented severe low ringbone for years, was lame and injected for years, was known as lame, was not showing for some time at the time of sale.

The horse was drugged to help him pass a pre-purchase (the trainer probably added something on top of what the vet did), sold for $125,000 as an upper level dressage horse - a job he was physically unable to perform without drugs - and the pre-purchase vet didn't do due diligence to the purchaser, as his agency required - he worked for the Romney side.

This is the perfect example of why you always look a gift horse in the mouth and get second opinions. And you never, ever use only the seller's vet. This is a cheating owner, trainer and vet taking $125,000 from a purchaser to get rid of a useless, lame horse.

A purchaser who was smart enough to get a second opinion and catch them. And take them to court.

There is zero justification for this on Romney's behalf. It shows he is completely unethical in his business dealings, and worse, that he'll misuse an animal for money.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
exactly that F&F thing is a total disgrace and that turd Holder can't man up and take responsibility and neither can the turd in the White House.
Actually that turd Holder wanted to give Issa viewing of multiple documents, on top of the thousands he's already willingly given to the Committee, and Issa refused. Issa voted for Fast and Furious to start under the Bush administration, btw.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Right. No way.
Right. You clearly didn't read the complaint before you said that silly thing, did you?

Please - you might want to read what happened in detail - and how long the horse was lame before it was put up for sale - before you make assumptions.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Wow - your little tirade, I thought, based on this:
""Romney is scum.

I don't care if he didn't know about this, and the trainer had a vet do it, or more likely, chose to do it his self, without the Romney's knowledge (very common, unfortunately) - it's cheating, it's fraud, it's deception, it's theft by deception, and worse, it's dangerous for the horse, for the rider.""

Was to attempt to assassinate his character - Ok fine you may have a point.

Then, when someone points out how Obama is responsible for over 2000 firearms being walked over the border specifically to be put in the hands of the drug cartels, many of which have turned up at violent crime scenes on both sides of the border and are responsible for at least 2 murders of US Border Patrol agents - that says nothing about his character? That just politics?

You're in rare form today.
Hey - I'm appalled you haven't said anything about Guantanamo or Halliburton in this thread. You are in rare form today, too BTW, this thread isn't about Fast and Furious, it's about Romney.

And before you defend Romney, I strong suggest you read the entire complaint, too. I doubt you'll want to go on much offense with this one.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Arlington Park

The buyer's vet admitted giving the horse tranquilizers to x-ray it. Can't remember what ones he gave or if he gave it to the horse before he took the drug screen. He also failed to mention it to the buyer. I agree the buyer has a case-against the vet THEY hired to do the purchase exam.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley View Post
The buyer's vet admitted giving the horse tranquilizers to x-ray it. Can't remember what ones he gave or if he gave it to the horse before he took the drug screen. He also failed to mention it to the buyer. I agree the buyer has a case-against the vet THEY hired to do the purchase exam.
There were four sedatives/analgesics found on the drug screen. The vet said he only gave two. Or maybe three. Only two are documented in the medical record. Seems the seller's agent also had a problem with honesty. All those steroid injections over the years. Then, there was the vet colluding with the seller via the agent.

Seems the legal owner, the seller - Mitt Romney - was selling a known lame horse that couldn't show nor perform any longer at the level intended at time of sale. Sold as an upper level dressage horse in spite of previous medical records indicating it had longstanding low ringbone, treated, and the horse couldn't be shown. The horse was drugged to pass the pre-purchase sound. And Romney took $125,000 for it.

Read the entire complaint. It's very ugly.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
There were four sedatives/analgesics found on the drug screen. The vet said he only gave two. Or maybe three. Only two are documented in the medical record. Seems the seller's agent also had a problem with honesty. All those steroid injections over the years. Then, there was the vet colluding with the seller via the agent.

Seems the legal owner, the seller - Mitt Romney - was selling a known lame horse that couldn't show nor perform any longer at the level intended at time of sale. Sold as an upper level dressage horse in spite of previous medical records indicating it had longstanding low ringbone, treated, and the horse couldn't be shown. The horse was drugged to pass the pre-purchase sound. And Romney took $125,000 for it.

Read the entire complaint. It's very ugly.
I am very familiar with this case. The vet said he only gave 2 or maybe 3 or maybe 4??? AND he can't remember if he took the drug screen before he gave the sedation. If anyone here has ever been involved with a purchase exam, the vet you hire to do the exam should provide you with a written account of everything done during this exam, including copies of x-rays. If the horse had to be sedated for x-rays or a full mouth exam (not unusual to have to sedate), it should be noted in the purchase exam and the drug screen taken BEFORE sedation. This client got a shoddy exam (including x-ray readings) and does have a lawsuit against the vet.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i read the ny times article that was linked by old dog. seems quite a reach to attempt to tie this to mitt.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Right. You clearly didn't read the complaint before you said that silly thing, did you?

Please - you might want to read what happened in detail - and how long the horse was lame before it was put up for sale - before you make assumptions.
I read it. I also read this from the NYT piece:

Quote:
Super Hit, the horse that became the subject of the lawsuit, was bought in Germany in 2003 for about $100,000. At the time, X-rays showed that he had a small abnormality in his left front coffin joint. Mrs. Romney consulted three veterinarians and was told it was “not significant,” according to her deposition in the suit, which was previously reported by The Washington Post.

With Mr. Ebeling training Super Hit and riding him in competitions, he progressed and did well at shows. The horse also regularly received injections of anti-inflammatory drugs to prevent any problems with his coffin joint, which is where the hoof attaches to the lower leg. Veterinary experts say the drugs are commonly given to top-level sport horses.

Though Mrs. Romney loved the horse, calling him “Soupy,” she decided to sell him in late 2007. Riding him, though meant to soothe her multiple sclerosis, had in fact become painful. “I frequently was getting back spasms when I rode Soupy,” she said.