Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2017, 03:38 PM
The Curragh

Default Why Is Ny The "big Apple?"

I thought you might find this interesting since racing is mentioned in the article

This commonly asked question got me wondering, why do we call New York City the Big Apple? While I've seen several apple trees in New York City, I don't particularly recall them as being in notable quantity -- there are certainly more pigeons than apples in New York City, but we don't call New York City the "Big Pigeon." As with anything New York, there are many opinions and contradictions.

In the early 1920s, "apple" was used in reference to the many racing courses in and around New York City. Apple referred to the prizes being awarded for the races -- as these were important races, the rewards were substantial.

Based on the research of Barry Popik, the use of "Big Apple" to refer to New York City became clearer. Popik found that a writer for the New York Morning Telegraph, John Fitzgerald, referred to New York City's races "Around the Big Apple." It is rumored that Fitzgerald got the term from jockeys and trainers inNew Orleans who aspired to race on New York City tracks, referring to the "Big Apple."

In the late 1920s and early 1930s, New York City's jazz musicians began referring to New York City as the "Big Apple." An old saying in show business was "There are many apples on the tree, but only one Big Apple." New York City being the premier place for jazz musicians to perform made it more common to referr to New York City as the Big Apple.

A 1971 campaign to increase tourism to New York City adopted the Big Apple as an officially recognized reference to New York City. The campaign featured red apples in an effort to lure visitors to New York City. It was hoped that the red apples would serve as a bright and cheery image of New York City, in contrast to the common belief that New York City was dark and dangerous.

Since then, New York City has officially been The Big Apple.

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Oriental Park

Thanks Ruffian, very good stuff on the Big Apple. I've heard about a little bit of that but you have painted a complete picture. Are you snowed in already or just have extra time on your hands right now. Really, thanks!!!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 PM
The Curragh

DON WONDERS.......
"Ruff, Are you snowed in already
or just have extra time on your hands right now."
==============================

NEITHER ONE Dear Donatello.....(U Could be a Ninja Turtle at Halloween)

Boulder is a Bodacious 60--70 & SUNNY

As I was pondering the name for my Feature Event
in my Supurrr Saturday Contest RaceCall Results.....

I considered calling it the Big Apple Stakes or the Big Sandy Stakes

My own Cat Curiosity made me then wonder.....
Why would NY be called a Big Apple?

So...I Asked BING

The Answer Was Blowin In The Wind....Right To My IPad
Thought that maybe others also wondered why ~

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Oriental Park

It's mildly ironic that a city now called the Big Apple was briefly named "New Orange."

No chance of growing citrus; it happened like this: The Dutch had originally settled New Amsterdam, but were ousted by the English in 1664, who then named the city after the King's brother, the Duke of York (later James II). However, during the third Anglo-Dutch war in 1673, the Dutch briefly re-occupied the city and renamed it New Orange after William of Orange. It was then relinquished to England by treaty one year later in exchange for Suriname.

[Hey, it's been quiet lately, the Yankees are out of the playoffs and the BC pre-entries aren't yet out]