Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2020, 12:07 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Venue for 7/11

Looks like Keeneland is the place to be. 6 Stakes, I think, including the Toyota Bluegrass Stakes. Will look at the fields tomorrow to see whether we might want to eliminate some races on the card or not.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:49 AM
Oriental Park

Keeneland in July - sure sounds strange, but no more unusual than many other things this year.

It looks as if they have put together a superb card of racing for Saturday, and I look forward to seeing your final choice after the entries have been drawn. I plan to watch the "opening day" this afternoon and expect that it will be quite weird to see scenes of the Keeneland paddock without the usual crowds.

Congrats to you on a truly outstanding performance in the points contest last Saturday. You got your nose down right at the wire to win the head bob.
Well done!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Havre de Grace

^^^
Thanks. Nice to score well in the points contest, but kind of frustrating too. I obviously had a more than fair opinion in several races, but chose to play a race in the ROI in which my opinion wasn't so good. I am always torn between playing a bigger bet in a single race or playing smaller wagers in more than one race. I usually go with the bigger bet or bets in a single race which often turns out like it did last Saturday. Just another 30 or 40 years and I'll learn how to play this game!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Keeneland

First two races are maidens, so I say we eliminate them and play races 3 through 10 for a total of 8 races. 3rd race starts at 2:12 Eastern time so that should give everyone plenty of time to put in their picks and shouldn't be too burdensome for the scorers or those that choose to actually handicap each and every race.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:03 PM
Havre de Grace

I didn't notice that two of those races. Race 4 and Race 7 are 6 horse fields. Is that OK with everybody or should we add Race 1 and 2 back in to make it more difficult? Opinions?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Oriental Park

Whichever way you call it is fine with me. Either option would provide a good contest.

I did notice that in race 2, 11 out of the 13 entrants are first time starters. Without being able to look at the live tote before finalizing entries, we will all be doing a lot of guessing if that one is included. I guess that the good news is that we won't have to spend a lot of time pondering over the pp's for that race.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Havre de Grace

My first impression probably good enough then. So we go with the original plan which is Races 3 through 10.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 AM
Oriental Park

Nice win Cal with a tough match with JB. Keeneland is where I wanna be physically and mentally soaking up all good in Kentucky and the warmth and feel of the stone edifaces. A grand structure in a grand place.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Whichever way you call it is fine with me. Either option would provide a good contest.

I did notice that in race 2, 11 out of the 13 entrants are first time starters. Without being able to look at the live tote before finalizing entries, we will all be doing a lot of guessing if that one is included. I guess that the good news is that we won't have to spend a lot of time pondering over the pp's for that race.
Hey JB, nothing wrong with guessing. I'm really good at that and sometimes I guess right more often than not. Go figure.