Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Belmont Park

I think Analyze must have had something go amiss in the last 1/16, maybe he bled, pulled something, who knows, and perhaps he just got beat on the square? We will see what team Galileo brings to the Belmont Derby; I am sure they have something that will test anyone one of the 4 or 5 good horses racing here.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Havre de Grace

It was nine furlongs....the final 1/16 is what separates it from 1 1/16. It’s a whole new ball game. Catholic Boy had more bottom when it counted.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
It was nine furlongs....the final 1/16 is what separates it from 1 1/16. It’s a whole new ball game. Catholic Boy had more bottom when it counted.
Yeah, you are right on there! I forgot Chad's horses are typically short and rarely finish the last 1/16 when they don't have enough bottom.

On a serious note, fair play to Catholic Boy, my guess is it is the last time he beats him.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
On a serious note, fair play to Catholic Boy, my guess is it is the last time he beats him.
I'm not sure why Analyze It got late in deep stretch, but the connections are now in an interesting quandary with what to do next with the colt.

Is he simply a miler? Considering the exploits of his sire, he should get some distance, but the bottom side features horses like A.P. Assay, Nice Assay, and Came Home who all had a world of speed. Came Home could carry his, but the two fillies (3rd and 4th dams of Analyze It) couldn't get further than a mile.

What's his running style? He's settled decently in his last 2 starts after mixing it up on the lead in his juvenile starts. He could revert to the latter style in the Belmont Derby and try and pull an Oscar Performance-type victory or continue on with the former in an attempt to maximize his stamina.

There's always the question of competition, too. While he won off the screen in his first 3 starts, perhaps the best horse he has beaten is Pubilius Syrus who has disappeared after taking 2 minor stakes at Santa Anita this winter. Maraud has been quite the in-and-outer in his career thus far, so perhaps Analyze It caught him on an "out" day at Keeneland.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Yeah, you are right on there! I forgot Chad's horses are typically short and rarely finish the last 1/16 when they don't have enough bottom.

Oh brother. Your superstar was 2 in front inside the 1/16 pole and got beat. Even after fouling the winner twice causing him to lose momentum, he didn’t have an answer. Just because it says Chad Brown as trainer, does not mean the rules of having enough hoss at 9 furlongs don’t apply. after watching that race, your conclusion is that The catholic boy wouldn’t beat him again. I’d love to hear your reasoning. Catholic Boy was the impressive one. Hawkish and Catholic Boy are the leaders of that division.

P.S. Justify will whistle on Saturday
Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I'm not sure why Analyze It got late in deep stretch, but the connections are now in an interesting quandary with what to do next with the colt.

Is he simply a miler? Considering the exploits of his sire, he should get some distance, but the bottom side features horses like A.P. Assay, Nice Assay, and Came Home who all had a world of speed. Came Home could carry his, but the two fillies (3rd and 4th dams of Analyze It) couldn't get further than a mile.

What's his running style? He's settled decently in his last 2 starts after mixing it up on the lead in his juvenile starts. He could revert to the latter style in the Belmont Derby and try and pull an Oscar Performance-type victory or continue on with the former in an attempt to maximize his stamina.

There's always the question of competition, too. While he won off the screen in his first 3 starts, perhaps the best horse he has beaten is Pubilius Syrus who has disappeared after taking two minor stakes at Santa Anita this winter. Maraud has been quite the in-and-outer in his career thus far, so perhaps Analyze It caught him on an "out" day at Keeneland.
Guessing Chad will figure out much of the wonder related to distance and style? If he fooled me beating up on ordinary colts, it wouldn't be the first time a sexy winner swooned me. Maybe Catholic Boy is really good or maybe Analyze it was just so much better than the 2-year-old colts? As for Belmont Derby, I will probably defer to Coolmore's entrant and wish Mendelson would participate which he won't which sucks.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Guessing Chad will figure out much of the wonder related to distance and style? If he fooled me beating up on ordinary colts, it wouldn't be the first time a sexy winner swooned me. Maybe Catholic Boy is really good or maybe Analyze it was just so much better than the 2-year-old colts? As for Belmont Derby, I will probably defer to Coolmore's entrant and wish Mendelson would participate which he won't which sucks.
The 2017 BC Juvenile Turf has been won of the more productive races seen in a long time. Not only by the simple number of subsequent winners, but also by the versatility displayed by its participants. You have turf winners, dirt winners, poly track winners, Classic winners, route winners, and sprint winners.

1st Mendelssohn -- UAE Derby (G2 dirt, NTR), Patton (AW)
4th Catholic Boy -- Remsen (G2 dirt), Pennine Ridge (G3T)
5th Beckford -- William Walker (listed-T sprint)
6th Masar -- Epsom Derby (G1 Classic 12f-T), Craven (G3T), 3rd 2000 Guineas (G1 Classic 8f-T)
7th My Boy Jack -- Louisiana Derby (G2 dirt), Lexington (G2 dirt)
8th Flameaway -- Sam Davis (G3 dirt)
9th Sands of Mali -- Prix Sigy (G3T sprint), Sandy Lane (G2T sprint)
10th James Garfield -- Greenham (G3T sprint)
14th Hemp Hemp Hurray -- Animal Kingdom (AW sprint)
Old 06-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The 2017 BC Juvenile Turf has been won of the more productive races seen in a long time. Not only by the simple number of subsequent winners, but also by the versatility displayed by its participants. You have turf winners, dirt winners, poly track winners, Classic winners, route winners, and sprint winners.

6th Masar -- Epsom Derby (G1 Classic 12f-T), Craven (G3T), 3rd 2000 Guineas (G1 Classic 8f-T)

Does Noble Indy know about My Boy Jack's win in the Louisiana Derby? Boy is he going to be pissed.

Almost as pissed as his owners who rushed him back into the Lexington to get points for the Derby that they, apparently, didn't need.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Does Noble Indy know about My Boy Jack's win in the Louisiana Derby? Boy is he going to be pissed.

Almost as pissed as his owners who rushed him back into the Lexington to get points for the Derby that they, apparently, didn't need.
Choose your own adventure:

(1) Damn autocorrect. I typed "Southwest" and that's what it came up with...

(2) The worse part is that I had trouble spelling "Louisiana"...

(3) The Louisiana Derby used to be run at 8.5 furlongs, so My Boy Jack would have been the winner were it not for the poor judgment of Fair Grounds racing officials...

(4) I'm just happy someone actually read the entire post.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

Lone Sailor isn’t happy either.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

I think we will see Untamed Domain join that list eventually. Anyone know why Voting Control hasn’t run since then?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Choose your own adventure:

(1) Damn autocorrect. I typed "Southwest" and that's what it came up with...

(2) The worse part is that I had trouble spelling "Louisiana"...

(3) The Louisiana Derby used to be run at 8.5 furlongs, so My Boy Jack would have been the winner were it not for the poor judgment of Fair Grounds racing officials...

(4) I'm just happy someone actually read the entire post.
Happy or amazed?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Happy or amazed?
I was actually going to use "thrilled" but "amazed" is probably more accurate.

I just read this morning--buried in some article about Justify's latest workout-- that American Anthem, who received quite a bit of press last year during the Derby trail and then later put up a sharp effort on the Belmont undercard in the Woody Stephens, successfully returned to the races a couple of days ago at Churchill Downs.

My first reaction was that I wished these message boards were more active so I could more easily pick up on these things (where the hell was RHT on this?) before they happen. Then I realized that the racing news sites (the one's that are left) ought to have been promoting his comeback.

This is probably why the Blood-Horse's main distribution strategy is to hand out free copies of its latest edition outside the entrance to the Men's bathroom at the Keeneland Sales Pavilion.

I guess I should just be thankful that the Tapwrit allowance got a headline or two.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Jerome Park

I thought American Anthem might run in the Met. He should have.

I thought Tapwrit actually ran OK. He was overly aggressive on a quick pace and stayed on reasonably well. If he can stay sound, maybe he can step forward and contend in some tougher races.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I thought American Anthem might run in the Met. He should have.

I thought Tapwrit actually ran OK. He was overly aggressive on a quick pace and stayed on reasonably well. If he can stay sound, maybe he can step forward and contend in some tougher races.
I'm still waiting for someone to figure out Hoffenheim. There still seems time for him to progress into a decent late running sprinter (like his sire), but not only do they keep flip flopping distances on him, now he's alternating running styles, too.

The horse was well meant from the get-go as an expensive yearling purchase and was also briefly touted as a 3yo as a potential Derby prospect in the Baffert barn. Now its a slippery slope back into the claiming ranks where Jacobson got him.

Hopefully they develop a game plan for him beyond the next available race between 6.5 and 8.5 furlongs.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Jerome Park

In that barn, a plan would be unusual.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Not much love for Catholic Boy back in June