Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Top CASTRATORS

I'm getting more and more steamed with the ongoing CASTRATION of race horses, and I thought it might be a good idea to see if I can get some data to support my opinions. At present, off the top of my head, here's my list

1) Wesley Ward --- don't even think about bring a colt into his barn --cut 'em right after you buy them

2) Stanley Hough -- allow a colt or two every so often but their nuts are GONE typically by the end of the year

3) Pat Reynolds --- the CLAIM and CUT trainer

With all the focus on juicing and all the use of DRUGS in racing why is nothing written about the rampant castrating of horses? Is it because giving a horse TESTOSTERONE after it's been cut is fine?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I'm getting more and more steamed with the ongoing CASTRATION of race horses, and I thought it might be a good idea to see if I can get some data to support my opinions. At present, off the top of my head, here's my list

1) Wesley Ward --- don't even think about bring a colt into his barn --cut 'em right after you buy them

2) Stanley Hough -- allow a colt or two every so often but their nuts are GONE typically by the end of the year

3) Pat Reynolds --- the CLAIM and CUT trainer

With all the focus on juicing and all the use of DRUGS in racing why is nothing written about the rampant castrating of horses? Is it because giving a horse TESTOSTERONE after it's been cut is fine?
Fat Man... you know that almost all racehorses SHOULD be gelded for behavioral reasons, right?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Goodwood

They should castrate more.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Oaklawn

The ultimate equipment change.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Hialeah Park

Maybe I'm missing something here, but assuming you have spent decent money on the horse, have reasonable back breeding and considering what has happened to breeding money, why would you want to geld a horse unless medically or behaviorly necessary? In other words, if it's being done, isn't it a final resort vs an "equipment change"?

Or is Fat Man's point that some crews treat it too casually?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Del Mar

Pedigree's worthless if the horse isn't very good (for the most part) - so I don't think they worry about it with mediocre horses - either you don't cut him and he never wins or you cut him and maybe he wins a few races or even gets good. Not cutting a bad horse isn't going to make him stallion-worthy. I agree that they should probably geld more.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Del Mar

I wonder what would've happened to Discreet Cat if Hough had gelded him. . .
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
they should of the horse was not that good. people on here were calling him a monster. the horse had problems and probably should not be bred. thats part of the problem people breed unfit horses and wonder why the offspring breaks down, basic biology 101. who am i to say rich people have to have something to piss away their money on but not at the expense of horse racing. the breed weakens everytime they breed these so called "fast" horses that have weak limbs. now some fools are paying 50 mil for big brown. so they can reproduce more horses with bad feet . go figure .
Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
The interesting question is how long would DC have lasted in Hough's barn BEFORE getting cut.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Fat Man... you know that almost all racehorses SHOULD be gelded for behavioral reasons, right?
I've worked on the backstretch, and while STUDS can be a handful, there's nothing more depressing than being around a sad, old gelding. Like a junkie, it awaits its next refreshing shot of testosterone.

I realize there are 'traditional' ways of doing things on the racetrack. Some of these just need to change.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
The interesting question is how long would DC have lasted in Hough's barn BEFORE getting cut.
it would of been a blessing. the horse could not make training or racing dates due to physical problems. breed physically bad horse get more breakdowns and injuries . don't you people see what happens , these horses can't even run without weeks and weeks off. i wonder why ?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
I've worked on the backstretch, and while STUDS can be a handful, there's nothing more depressing than being around a sad, old gelding. Like a junkie, it awaits its next refreshing shot of testosterone.

I realize there are 'traditional' ways of doing things on the racetrack. Some of these just need to change.
I've been around plenty of geldings too, and I don't find them to be sad and old at all. However, most of them probably weren't 'roided up in their days on the track.

Chuck can probably provide some better color on this topic than anyone.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Chuck can probably provide some better color on this topic than anyone.
I've found that this phrase is generally applicable to 92.7 percent of the topics discussed on DT.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Woodbine

Filly's RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Sha Tin

There are a hundred reasons why gelding horses is a positive thing, there is only one thing that is negative. Other than the obvious ones about behavior, geldings are generally lighter than colts which is beneficial for soundness.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Oaklawn

None other than Alfred Vanderbilt once said that if he had gelded EVERY colt he ever owned he'd have only made one mistake, Native Dancer.

Unless a horse is truly a prospect to be a top class stallion AND is sound and well built there is no reason NOT to geld. The breed would be better, not worse if fewer people had the opportunity to say "He was slow and sore but he's by Storm Cat...so why not?"

If the owner of an uncut horse decides to try and outplace him for a post race career, he'll have to be cut any how as most riding barns don't allow stallions and don't have the proper facilities for them. I've seen nice horses passed over because the potential adoptee didn't want a stallion or the initial cost of the procedure.

The horse in my avatar won 2 races at minor tracks and no one in their right mind should have considered him to have breeding potential. Yet he was kept entire til age 6, even with modest breeding himself. At 15, he's still studdish and territorial like a stallion. Certain behavioral traits are set and gelding late often doesn't change that.

I tend to theink that males have a fear of castration that prevents them from finding it acceptable in any animal. If an animal is not breeding quality it will likley be healthier neutered. To a horse "being male" is a behavior based. He doesn't contemplate his maleness, he has no emotional connection to his "parts." If you take something from him that he never knew was there, he'll never miss it, or them as the case may be. A gelding is not standing around lamenting the lack of sex life.

I read so many threads about breeders breeding poor quality horses yet many decry the process of neutering. To not geld a horse and yet not breed him is cruel. Horses are herd animals yet stallions are kept separated because when pastured together they fight, often to the death. They are generally kept isolated so as not to disturb other horses. They are often hard to handle and special arrangements may have to be made to transport them to horse shows and again once they are there. Stallions need firm discipline and handling and most riding or show stables simply cannot manage them. They are restricted in their opportunites, cost more money, require more land and serve no more purpose (often less purpose) than a gelding. All this so that they don't have to accept the ego blow of neutering. That's bad math.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Oaklawn

these trainers are not gelding the colts to "save the breed", or "ensure a good home"...

They are gelding them for their Racing operation, and most often for a short-term benefit. Some geld off a claim.

There is a benefit for racing(or training and and caring for the animal between races), that is percieved by the gelders. They geld the horse and put it on a steroid regimine. Steroids aren't illegal for colts, so steroids aren't the reason. Something in the Behavior is percieved as a benefit.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny

I tend to theink that males have a fear of castration that prevents them from finding it acceptable in any animal. If an animal is not breeding quality it will likley be healthier neutered. To a horse "being male" is a behavior based. He doesn't contemplate his maleness, he has no emotional connection to his "parts." If you take something from him that he never knew was there, he'll never miss it, or them as the case may be. A gelding is not standing around lamenting the lack of sex life.

Yeah. These are the same males taking pills or getting implants for bigger cocks and pills so they can get it up so they can bang their UGLY wives. Yet, it's 'healthier' to geld horses. Get real.

And, in 19th century France they were gelding young boys who played the female roles in operas rather than just using women.

The balls are there naturally. It thus follows that it's not 'healthier' for them not to be there.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Coach Pants

This thread sucks balls.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Oaklawn

Very few men are comfortable with the idea, because they wouldn't want it done to them. Just as in humans, they cause more trouble than they are worth sometimes.