Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Steve Byk

Default 9/27 (BEL): JCGC, JHTC, Beldame, Vos, Flwr Bwl (G1's), Kelso (G2)

O/N: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...-BEL-20140927D

4th (2:27) Kelso H. (G2)

1 Mile | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Capo Bastone Castellano J J 115 L
2 Golden Ticket Rosario J 117 L
3 Vyjack Ortiz I Jr 115 L
4 River Rocks Maragh R 115 L
5 Bradester Lanerie C J 117 L
6 Scarly Charly Franco M 110 L
7 Itsmyluckyday Lopez P 121 L

5th (3:00) Beldame Invitational S. (G1)

1 1/8 Miles | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Endless Chatter Ortiz I Jr 123 L
2 Toasting Castellano J J 123 L
3 Stopchargingmaria Velazquez J R 120 L
4 Stanwyck Maragh R 123 L
5 Fiftyshadesofhay Rosario J 123 L
6 Oasis At Midnight Franco M 123 L
7 Belle Gallantey Ortiz J L 123 L

7th (4:07) Flower Bowl Invitational S. (G1)

1 1/4 Miles (Inner turf) | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $600,000

1 Abaco Ortiz J L 121 L
2 Maximova Velasquez C 119 L
3 Viva Rafaela (BRZ) Castellano J J 119 L
4 Strathnaver (GB) Rosario J 119 L
5 Starstruck (IRE) Clark K D 119 L
6 Watsdachances (IRE) Bravo J 119 L
7 Alterite (FR) Ortiz I Jr 121 L
8 Tannery (IRE) Lezcano J 121 L
9 Stephanie's Kitten Velazquez J R 121 L

8th (4:41) Vosburgh Invitational S. (G1)

6 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $400,000

1 Palace Velasquez C 124 L
2 Coup de Grace Clark K D 122 L
3 Zee Bros Rosario J 124 L
4 Salutos Amigos Ortiz I Jr 124 L
5 Dads Caps Castellano J J 124 L
6 Happy My Way Bravo J 124 L
7 Private Zone Pedroza M A 124 L
8 Ribo Bobo Lopez P 124 L

9th (5:16) Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational S. (G1)

1 1/2 Miles (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $600,000

1 Twilight Eclipse Lezcano J 126 L
2 Imagining Rosario J 126 L
3 Hangover Kid Ortiz I Jr 126 L
4 Big Blue Kitten Bravo J 126 L
5 Real Solution Castellano J J 126 L
6 Main Sequence Maragh R 126 L
7 Medal Count Ortiz J L 121 L

A-Coupled: Big Blue Kitten and Real Solution

10th (5:50) Jockey Club Gold Cup Invitational S. (G1)

1 1/4 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $1,000,000

1 Micromanage Saez L 126 L
2 Last Gunfighter Bravo J 126 L
3 Wicked Strong Maragh R 122 L
4 Zivo Lezcano J 126 L
5 Prayer for Relief Velazquez J R 126 L
6 Long River Velasquez C 126 L
7 Speak Logistics Lopez P 126 L
8 Tonalist Rosario J 122 Blk-Off L
9 Stephanoatsee Ortiz J L 126 L
10 V. E. Day Castellano J J 122 L
11 Moreno Alvarado J 126 L
12 Big Cazanova (ARG) Ortiz I Jr 126 L
Old 09-25-2014, 08:08 AM
The Curragh

Itsmyluckyday going to the BC dirt mile, or are they thinking this prep will be a little easier on the horse going into the classic?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Itsmyluckyday going to the BC dirt mile, or are they thinking this prep will be a little easier on the horse going into the classic?
Quote:
Since 1984, only three horses have used a one-mile race as a springboard to victory in the Breeders' Cup Classic. On TVG Super Saturday at Belmont Park, trainer Eddie Plesa, Jr. is counting on the Grade 2, $400,000 Kelso Handicap to propel Grade 1 Woodward winner Itsmyluckyday into any one of three races, among them the 1 ¼-mile Classic at Santa Anita Park on November 1.

The one-mile Kelso - named after the great gelding who won five straight editions of the Jockey Club Gold Cup from 1960-64 - will be run as race 4, the first of six graded stakes on the 11-race card, the centerpiece of which is the Grade 1, $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup.

"We're looking at the Kelso not so much for what the race will tell us about him but as a prep for what's next," said Plesa, who said the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile or the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct Racetrack were also under future consideration for Itsmyluckyday, a winner of four of six starts this year. "This weekend will be the final [Breeders' Cup] preps for all these horses. We're going to look and see what happens - so far, you have Palace Malice retiring, California Chrome not running his best race [in the Pennsylvania Derby] - so we'll wait to see what shakes out."
Per horseracingnation.com
Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Flemington

My early Super Saturday stakes race thoughts.

The Kelso-

Itsmyluckyday and River Rocks are my A’s. Vyjack is my B/C horse. I think River Rocks is a legitimately good horse. He is obviously very fast and I think he has a legit chance to wire this field. 5-1ML is crazy. I don’t see him being over 3-1 at post time unless they get CRAZY on Itsmyluckyday.
Itsmyluckyday is clearly the horse to beat cutting back to 8f. He should sit a dream trip off the 4 and 5 and might prove to be too much. Vyjack could be finally sitting on a big race, clearly he would need a lifetime top to win this, but I can see it happening. What happens if the 4,5,7 all go crazy on the front end? I’ll take Vyjack as the only closer all day over Golden Ticket. Golden Ticket got a dream setup and dream trip last time and it appeared like he was going to hang again…. He just got up vs much lesser. I don’t want him at all in here. He is 8-1ML, I think he will be closer to 5-1 at post time, where Vyjack will be closer to 10 or 12-1 at post time.

The Beldame-

Kind of a subpar edition. It’s not NYRA’s fault though. Other than Close Hatches who else is there in this division? Princess of Sylmar is finished and Beholder is staying in Cali for a G1 on her home track. Anyway….. If Stopchargingmaria wins, I lose. I don’t think she is very good. I hope the public doesn’t realize this though. I want her to be 5-2 or less off of those two G1 wins at Saratoga. Stanwyck and Fiftyshadesofhay are my A’s and Belle Gallantey is my B. I think any of them can win and don’t have a strong opinion other then I don’t like the ML favorite.

The Flower Bowl-

Tough race for me. Alterite’s BC last year wins this. Tannery has races that win this and she loves a turf course with give in it. They are 8-1 and 15-1ML. Im going to end up using 5 of the 9 horses in the pick 4. Abaco and Strathnaver are my A’s. I’ll be in really good shape if I get one of them home. Alterite, Tannery and Stephanie’s Kitten are my B’s. Clearly think the Ballston Spa is a strong race then the Beverly D where a 2nd tier Euro won at almost 11-1.

The Vosburgh-

On paper there are 5 speeds. How do they not all hook up and collapse this race? I know this happens a lot, where they let 1 horse just go off alone, but how can that possibly happen in here? I’m playing the race like this. The 3,5,6,7,8 hook up and kill each other. Palace and Coup De Grace are my A’s. I really hope that 8-1ML holds up on Coup De Grace, he would be the play of the day at that price off of a rough trip in the Kings Bishop. Salutos Amigos is my B/C horse. I’ll use him on at least 1 pick 4 backup. He ran a good 2nd to a horse who I think is very likely to wire the Kelso.

The Turf Classic-

Small field. Again, not NYRA’s fault. Who else is there in this division? I’m using 1,3,5…. One of them will win, and I’ll be live in the pick 4.

The JCGC-

Wicked Strong and Moreno are my A’s. Long River is my B/C. I don’t get Tonalist. Wicked Strong has beat him 2x head to head this summer. I think Wicked Strong is just better, and better suited for the 10f. Moreno is the fastest horse. The two problems with him are Big Cazanova and the distance. I do think he makes the lead though and if the Cali horse does not go after him he will be hard to run down. Long River gets another chance at 25-1 or more….. I would rather have him at his price then Zivo at like 5-1. Long River still has a few races that win this and he could sit a real cozy 3rd or 4th and get first jump.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Hawthorne

im giving tonalist another shot
i chalking up the last disappointment to poor game planning
too close too early too long
theres enough speed for tonalist to be tactical this time
makes amends