Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Ryder Cup

Here are the current point listings. Top 9 are auto ins, 3 are Watson captains picks. Phil is close, but Tiger MIA, lots of talk about whether they should be picked. Who would you choose for the 3 spots ?

http://espn.go.com/golf/rankings/_/page/ryderstandings

Here's the Tiger / Watson take on it

http://espn.go.com/golf/theopen14/st...ryder-cup-team

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Benny : 07-22-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Here are the current point listings. Top 9 are auto ins, 3 are Watson captains picks. Phil is close, but Tiger MIA, lots of talk about whether they should be picked. Who would you choose for the 3 spots ?

Here's the Tiger / Watson take on it

http://espn.go.com/golf/theopen14/st...ryder-cup-team
I'd pick Phil, Ryan Moore and Patrick Reed.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Hialeah Park

Had this exact convo on the course yesterday. I think the Captain's Picks should be Tiger, Brendan Todd, & Ryan Moore.

I doubt Watson looks past Tiger once he calls him to see where he's at with things. In fact, I think it's HIGHLY unlikely that Tiger is omitted.

One things for sure, my buddy and I are putting a small fortune on the Europeans. We just can't see them losing, we'd be utterly shocked.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Flemington

DJ on "leave" again, will miss Ryder Cup
Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Randwyck

At this point, I give us very little chance in the Ryder Cup this year. It's a home game for the Euro's, who are playing very well all around. The loss of Dustin Johnson complicates things, and the Tiger question clouds the selection process even more. Hopefully Watson can get TW's commitment to win or sit out.
Agree on Ryan Moore for sure, he's a match play assassin.

We shall see.........
Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
DJ on "leave" again, will miss Ryder Cup
Word about why he's on leave is quite interesting. Seems PGA Tour has no requirement to announce suspensions?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Word about why he's on leave is quite interesting. Seems PGA Tour has no requirement to announce suspensions?
Yeah..lifting those jet skis are a bitch...
Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
5'8".. but all man!

*sniffle, sniffle*
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Randwyck

Prolly never see transparency on the PGA Tour. And that just adds to all the speculation around DJ. Can't help thinking that a South Carolina boy hanging out in Sherman Oaks added to his issues. Hoping his fiancé is not facing the same troubles.
He's a great talent and I hope he gets his sh*t together.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Hialeah Park

Well, hear that? That's Tom Watson scurrying back to the drawing board. Might as well stick a fork in Tiger Woods' 2014 season.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Well, hear that? That's Tom Watson scurrying back to the drawing board. Might as well stick a fork in Tiger Woods' 2014 season.
Updated list

Phil, Moore,and Bradley my picks now that DJ and TW are outs.

Blaise Pascal
Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Tiger out.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Arlington Park

How many points does the US earn. 5?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM
The Curragh

I don't mind this it's not like he does the team any favors when he is in anyway
Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Hialeah Park

I have 20-25 friends and family members that want me to run something for the Ryder Cup. Any ideas on how I could set something up? Anybody currently involved in a pool type thing for the Cup?

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I have 20-25 friends and family members that want me to run something for the Ryder Cup. Any ideas on how I could set something up? Anybody currently involved in a pool type thing for the Cup?
make reservations and go on vacation, thus avoiding all that?

no, seriously...i guess you could do something similar to football pools, instead of quarter scores, half, final scores, etc you'd insert golf related stuff?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
If you get 24 "entries" in your pool you could determine an entry fee per person, then do a random draw where each person gets a Golfer....random whether Euro or USA. They have that golfer all three days. You need to add up the total number of matches that will be played and divide into your total pool. Then each match played is worth that to the winning golfer. Draws split. Fourball counts as two matches.

...or something like that!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 AM
Santa Anita

It's meaningless who's on the team. Europe is better and they win regardless of who is picked. That's just the way it is. It's actually fun to watch an American team regularly lose something like this event. Europeans actually want to win this more and actually have better players now too to the point where it's expected that they win.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
If you get 24 "entries" in your pool you could determine an entry fee per person, then do a random draw where each person gets a Golfer....random whether Euro or USA. They have that golfer all three days. You need to add up the total number of matches that will be played and divide into your total pool. Then each match played is worth that to the winning golfer. Draws split. Fourball counts as two matches.

...or something like that!

Thanks brother!

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
It's meaningless who's on the team. Europe is better and they win regardless of who is picked. That's just the way it is. It's actually fun to watch an American team regularly lose something like this event. Europeans actually want to win this more and actually have better players now too to the point where it's expected that they win.
Agreed on all points except for the fun part watching them lose. Nothing fun, imo, in watching the Euros celebrate that weekend! Esp two yrs ago when Americans blew the lead.

- Nathan Israel