Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2016, 04:10 AM
Saratoga

Default MLB Wildcard

Start off by prefacing I am a Yankees fan and any true Yankee or Met fan despises the other team. This is not sour grapes. MLB really needs to make these Wild Card games 2 of 3. Start on Monday after the season and have every game at the site of the higher seeded team as a reward for being the highest seeded team. Then start the playoffs on Friday with every team playing which would give it the feel of opening 2 days of NCAA where you have non stop games.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Bumgarner is the Lebron of MLB. Living legend.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Bumgarner is the Lebron of MLB. Living legend.
Don't ever embarrass a man by comparing him to Madison Bumgarner, Who could take it to the hole against Queen JAmes in his own sport.

Bruno Sammartino was the living legend , not Lee Bron James

On a side note , Buck Greywater is the stupidest manager around. Imagine having Britton in the bullpen waiting and trotting that hump Jimenez out there ? What was he waiting for an invitation ? The players were even scratching their heads.
It's Papi vs the Cubs. That what the powers that be want . Can't you see Big Popcorn knocking one out of Wrigley to dash their hopes again ?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Start off by prefacing I am a Yankees fan and any true Yankee or Met fan despises the other team. This is not sour grapes. MLB really needs to make these Wild Card games 2 of 3. Start on Monday after the season and have every game at the site of the higher seeded team as a reward for being the highest seeded team. Then start the playoffs on Friday with every team playing which would give it the feel of opening 2 days of NCAA where you have non stop games.
I don't like the second wildcard at all. All it equates to is a play-in game for the real playoffs, where you are now at a disadvantage cause you needed your ace to get through.

How bout ending the season after 152 games this way you can play the 2 out of 3 like Jim mentioned and scrap this ridiculous one game format.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Don't ever embarrass a man by comparing him to Madison Bumgarner, Who could take it to the hole against Queen JAmes in his own sport.

On a side note , Buck Greywater is the stupidest manager around. Imagine having Britton in the bullpen waiting and trotting that hump Jimenez out there ? What was he waiting for an invitation ? The players were even scratching their heads.
It's Papi vs the Cubs. That what the powers that be want . Can't you see Big Popcorn knocking one out of Wrigley to dash their hopes again ?
I dont kill Showalter for not starting Britton in the inning. That being said, he needed to have him warmed up and ready to go, once Travis got the single. Once Donaldson got on base, he needed to go to him.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Arlington Park

Major League Baseball.

MEH.

Hope the Cubs don't win just for the safety of innocents stuck in Chicago.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Something needs to change. I don't know if an additional wild card series is the answer as this is already going into November should either DS or CS series' got the full 7 and the WS goes 7.
The main negative impact of a one game playoff - besides being patently senseless - is that it severely handcuffs the winner as they now have to go on the road AND lose they their Ace for the first 3 games.

In my opinion I would do away with the game all together and utilize a series of criteria to determine who the two wild card teams are with descending tie-breaking marks - for instance:

Overall Record
Head to Head record
Total Road Wins
Total Road Runs Scored

Something like that. Seems the most logical approach
Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
Major League Baseball.

MEH.

I hope they don't win because the Ricketts family are garbage sub-humans.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Something needs to change. I don't know if an additional wild card series is the answer as this is already going into November should either DS or CS series' got the full 7 and the WS goes 7.
The main negative impact of a one game playoff - besides being patently senseless - is that it severely handcuffs the winner as they now have to go on the road AND lose they their Ace for the first 3 games.

In my opinion I would do away with the game all together and utilize a series of criteria to determine who the two wild card teams are with descending tie-breaking marks - for instance:

Overall Record
Head to Head record
Total Road Wins
Total Road Runs Scored

Something like that. Seems the most logical approach
Or use the same system and have 1 wild card team. Teams basically will compete for that as if it is a division. If that ends in a tie then a one game playoff.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
I hope they don't win because the Ricketts family are garbage sub-humans.
Haven't watched a complete game since the 90's.

Haven't watched an NFL game this season.

I don't like the entitlement of the players and the greed of the owners.

Looks like I won't be watching the NBA either.

It's getting to the point that all I'll have left is Premier League.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Longchamps

One game sucks. Its a big advantage to the team that plays the winner as they most likely the best pitcher wont be out there til game 3.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Ellis Park

Default Says it all....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...nce/ar-BBx3AZA
Old 10-06-2016, 09:57 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Or use the same system and have 1 wild card team. Teams basically will compete for that as if it is a division. If that ends in a tie then a one game playoff.
Exactly. I don't know what I was thinking ... I meant to say to use this criteria to determine the ONE Wild card team in each league with no playoff game, no tie breaker game, nothing. No *qualifier* game under any circumstances.

Season ends, post season starts with the 4 teams in each league clearly defined. Period.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
Major League Baseball.

MEH.

truth be told, SF is gonna push them as far as they can go, if they can get through them without getting beat up too much i believe they'll run through the Nats or the dodgers no problem. And i say this as a Nats fan.

the dude-bros will be out in full force fo'sho in wrigley, nevermind the thousands flocking in from all over the country.

ticket prices are ridiculous, parking near the field which is already tight as it is on non-game days is going for $100+. Been kicking around the idea of Air BnB'ing my place if they MAKE IT. With ticket prices where they're at my only option to see a game would be the rooftops, which the vast majority of have limited to no view of the field, but..... OPEN BAR DUDE!!!

-bt-
Old 10-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
truth be told, SF is gonna push them as far as they can go, if they can get through them without getting beat up too much i believe they'll run through the Nats or the dodgers no problem. And i say this as a Nats fan.

the dude-bros will be out in full force fo'sho in wrigley, nevermind the thousands flocking in from all over the country.

ticket prices are ridiculous, parking near the field which is already tight as it is on non-game days is going for $100+. Been kicking around the idea of Air BnB'ing my place if they MAKE IT. With ticket prices where they're at my only option to see a game would be the rooftops, which the vast majority of have limited to no view of the field, but..... OPEN BAR DUDE!!!

-bt-
Cubs should roll through Giants. Hoping for that Cubs/Indians world series!!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Cubs should roll through Giants. Hoping for that Cubs/Indians world series!!
Would like the Giants so much better if Baumgartner didn't go yesterday.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Yep that's the problem with this single game. It kills the wild card team
Old 10-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I kind of like that he's lurking . I' pitch him in game 4. If there is game 4 and he pitches.... They win the series even if that makes it 2-2
Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
I kind of like that he's lurking . I' pitch him in game 4. If there is game 4 and he pitches.... They win the series even if that makes it 2-2
No doubt he pitches game 3. That's plenty of rest
Old 10-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

Queen James lol. You are pathetic and old and its getting old, just leave me be stalker.