Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 AM
The Curragh

Default Travel Arrangements (Chi-Town)

So i've pretty much decided what the hell, im gonna try and make the trip to chi-town to catch Sumwons race next week

I'm gonna be flying out of Dulles International Virginia into O'Hare and taking a cab from O'Hare to the track/hotel. The plan is, to arrive on the 11th (the day of) and ship out the next morning. Here's the dilemma, i don't know what is a good part of town and what is a bad part of town to get a hotel in. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just some where to lay my head for 1 night and not have to worry about getting shanked or mugged on my way to the ice machine. Any suggestions on cities or particular places to stay that are located between O'Hare and the track or not too far off?

What are everyone else's travel arrangements looking like?

-bt-
Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Keeneland

don't worry about the bad parts of town. In between the airport and the track is all suburbs. for a cheap hotel I'd say the motel 6 in Rolling Meadows is just fine. the sheraton in arlington heights is more expensive but is in walking distance. DDthetide sent me a PM he is staying at the Doubletree in Arlington Heights and they offer a free shuttle to and from the airport and the track that seems the way to go as a cab will probably be about $40 each way.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Thistley Downs

Excuse me.

But aren't you dead?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Arlington Park

wingate arlington heights is another possiblity. they have airport shuttle and only 4 miles from the track. i'm NOT sure yet if they shuttle to the track. Doubletree rates jumped greatly since i checked last week.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortyfeatherhands
Excuse me.

But aren't you dead?

yes but don't you believe in Ghosts.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
don't worry about the bad parts of town. In between the airport and the track is all suburbs. for a cheap hotel I'd say the motel 6 in Rolling Meadows is just fine. the sheraton in arlington heights is more expensive but is in walking distance. DDthetide sent me a PM he is staying at the Doubletree in Arlington Heights and they offer a free shuttle to and from the airport and the track that seems the way to go as a cab will probably be about $40 each way.
How much more could the sherton be on a Tuesday or Wednesday night?

My recommendation is just to stay there. You can stare at Arlington from your window all night if you want

And if you are flying into O'Hare, there is no bad parts, it is like 15 minutes from Arlington Heights, I live about 3 miles from O'Hare.

Now if you are flying into Midway, it could get a little trecherous(?)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
$30 more, plus no complimentary shuttle to and from the airport (if you make your reservation today).
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

My recommendation is just to stay there. You can stare at Arlington from your window all night if you want

And if you are flying into O'Hare, there is no bad parts, it is like 15 minutes from Arlington Heights, I live about 3 miles from O'Hare.

Now if you are flying into Midway, it could get a little trecherous(?)

As of right now im gonna pull the triger on a wed-thurs flight to O'Hare with a package has me staying at the Mount Prospect Hotel. It doesn't seem too far from the track and it's a reasonable way from the airport (plus they say they have a free shuttle)

What im more concerned about is who is going with me to Medieval times on wed. night.. huh, who's with me?

-bt-
Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT-
As of right now im gonna pull the triger on a wed-thurs flight to O'Hare with a package has me staying at the Mount Prospect Hotel. It doesn't seem too far from the track and it's a reasonable way from the airport (plus they say they have a free shuttle)

What im more concerned about is who is going with me to Medieval times on wed. night.. huh, who's with me?

-bt-
The Mount Prospect Hotel, I have never heard of it, where is it located? I live in Mount Prospect, didn't know we had a hotel
Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

-bt-
Medieval times is a huge party, you should like it
Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:

-bt-
Wow, you got a deal. Wish I had seen this before making my reservations.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Flemington

Quote:

-bt-
I've always wanted to go to one of those places but our flight leaves at 9 pm that night. It's going to be a long and exciting day jumping on a plane early in the morning and flying back that night, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Sumwon.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
wingate arlington heights is another possiblity. they have airport shuttle and only 4 miles from the track. i'm NOT sure yet if they shuttle to the track. Doubletree rates jumped greatly since i checked last week.
Check out where -bt- is staying: the Mt. Prospect Hotel. $55. I already booked my room at the Doubletree, so it's too late for me.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM
The Curragh

http://travel.travelocity.com/trips/...007&hotelQKey=

Mount Prospect Hotel
200 E Rand Road Mount Prospect, IL 60056

Arlington Heights/Rosemont/Elk Grove Village

doesn't seem that bad

-bt-
Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Saratoga

DON'T STAY THERE....It used to be a Ramada and it is a shithole.......It is right next to my favorite bar....
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
DON'T STAY THERE....It used to be a Ramada and it is a shithole.......It is right next to my favorite bar....

when you say "shithole" you mean the rooms are bad, or it's not in a good part of town. I can deal with a sub-par room for 1 night, unless there are things growing in there

-bt-
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
when you say "shithole" you mean the rooms are bad, or it's not in a good part of town. I can deal with a sub-par room for 1 night, unless there are things growing in there

-bt-
Sub par room, area is fine....
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Keeneland

a favorite with track people not housed on the backside. Shithole is appropriate.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Arlington Park

looks like we are gonna stay at wingate -arlington heights AAA rate was $117 per night. shuttle to airport, 4 miles from track.
i SHOULD have booked doubletree last week
Old 07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Oriental Park

I booked the Wingate but am considering the motel 6 at about half the price. Am arriving 8:00 am and leaving Thursday 5:30 am. I am debating renting a car because my flight is well before the comp. shuttle on Thursday. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Let me know if anyone has this bazaar a schedule, I'll car or cab pool.

Tom