Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Longchamps

Default Mongolian Groom

Euthanized. Tough end to a fun weekend
Old 11-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Washington Park

Sorry to hear that. He ran great in that race before this.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:54 AM
Churchill Downs

Horrible for the connections and the sport. A sad day of what could of been. For me it ruined it.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Sunshine Park

I don't remember where I read it but they had to scope the horse after his last workout because it was so slow/poor they thought he bled. How can they let the horse go into the gate?

They should have moved it a long time ago. They dumped so much sand over the track to slow it down some of the horses just could not get over it. Was almost like watching races being run on a sloppy track.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJake View Post
I don't remember where I read it but they had to scope the horse after his last workout because it was so slow/poor they thought he bled. How can they let the horse go into the gate?

They should have moved it a long time ago. They dumped so much sand over the track to slow it down some of the horses just could not get over it. Was almost like watching races being run on a sloppy track.
The horse actually ran pretty well before he took a bad step and had an ACCIDENT. They happen. It’s the worst part of the game but they happen. I don’t see how the track, the vet or the connections can be blamed here.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJake View Post

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...s_Cup_work_123

Trainer was unhappy with the work because the saddle had moved back and it was slower than he wanted.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Churchill Downs

There is no one to blame except the sport itself. When you race 1200 lb animals on thin legs as fast as they can go these things are going to happen. No way around it. The people who understand this sport accept it. Unfortunately this kind of thing is what drives the un- knowledgeable anti-horse racing establishment and their agenda.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Del Mar

Default European Fatalities?

Does anyone have any details of how many horse accidents/fatalities happen at tracks across the pond?

Japan?

Australia?

Interested to know......
Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Churchill Downs

[quote=TheSpyder;1132358]Does anyone have any details of how many horse accidents/fatalities happen at tracks across the pond?

Japan?

Australia?

Interested to know......

What is even more relevant is how many horses die on each US track every year. A list of all tracks with the number of breakdowns for each one might tell a story and maybe someone or some entity could be held accountable. Those stats may be available but thats a lot of man hours to put that together. This is where it may be beneficial to have one governing body for all of horse racing. (accountability) Then maybe an old or injured horse wont disappear from a back barn at Mountaineer or Penn National. Maybe then horses won't be thrown into a landfill or behind a shed at Ruidoso.

https://horseracingwrongs.org/2019/0...s-dead-so-far/

Speaking of New Mexico, here is their casualty list for 2018 (8 monthsl)
I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually twice this list given the shady record keeping.

Through a FOIA request to the New Mexico Racing Commission, I have confirmed the following kills on that state’s tracks in 2018. Please note, however, that this report is a work in progress: New Mexico’s records are a mess. Included in my simple request for dead/euthanized racehorses were medication notifications, horses who died in 2017 (even one from 2016), many duplicates, and those noted as injured and/or “vanned off” but with no clear indication of death. It’s in this last grouping that more research is needed on my part. For now, I give you what I have so far.

ornillo, January 5, Sunland T (“multiple fractures”)
Keep On Rockin, January 26, Sunland R (“euthanized on track”)
Pozzi Track (probably sic), January 28, Sunland T (“shoulder”)
Miss Nobility, January 30, Sunland R (“euthanized in ambulance”)
Waki’s Pride, January 30, Sunland R (“cannon”)
This Is How U Roll, February 22, Sunland T (“ankle”)
Tarzan On Fire, February 24, Sunland T (“suspect internal rupture”; two years old)
Sunny Rithm, February 25, Sunland R (“carpus”)
Move Bingham, March 2, Sunland T (“collision on racetrack with another horse”)
Naevussquall, March 2, Sunland T (“collision on racetrack with another horse”)
Fearlessly Authentic, March 5, Sunland T (2-year-old being prepped for first race)
Crown N Royal Gal, March 6, Sunland T (2-year-old being prepped for first race)
Some Dandy, March 7, Sunland T (“sesamoid”)
Joyco, March 16, Sunland R (“spine”)
Iron Strike, March 19, Sunland T (“multiple fragments”)
Ize On Jasper, March 27, Sunland R (“sesamoid”)
Ike’s Prince, March 29, Sunland T (“shoulder”)
Royal Easter Rose, March 30, Sunland R (“sesamoid”)
Fico Score, April 7, Sunland R (“euthanized and vanned off”)
Hennessy Whisper, April 15, Sunland R (“euthanized on track”)
Who Am I Now, April 21, SunRay R (“slab fracture left and right carpus”)
Buildem Fast, April 21, SunRay R (“sesamoid, disarticulation”)
Bm Cartel, April 27, SunRay R (“collapsed under inside rail”)
A Spring Snow, May 6, SunRay R (13 years old, 68th race)
Left Out, June 10, Ruidoso R (“broken ankle”)
illegible name, June 15, Ruidoso T (“hemorrhage into respiratory tract”)
Hopes Genuine Effort, June 17, Ruidoso R (“spinal”)
unidentified, June 21, Ruidoso T (“broken leg”)
So First N Famous, June 30, Ruidoso T (“laceration of both back legs”)
Our First Secret, July 7, Ruidoso R (“slab fracture knee”)
Flashing Queen Bud (probably sic), July 12, Ruidoso T (“slab fracture knee”)
Ms Dale Gilr, July 15, Ruidoso R (“dislocated shoulder”)
Lady Jodie Perry, July 21, Ruidoso T (“severed tendons and ligament”)
Kamila, July 22, Ruidoso R (“fracture and dislocation”)
Favorite Dividend, July 28, Ruidoso R (“bled”; died, not euthanized)
Sunnysyde, August 17, Ruidoso R (“bled, died on way to barn”)
Southbound Storm, August 26, Ruidoso R (“sesamoid fracture with fetlock luxation”)
Summer Runner, August 26, Ruidoso R (“compound cannon”)
Mr Reed Ricks, August 31, Ruidoso R (“carpus”)
Jess Call Me J R, January 15, Sunland – “found dead in stall” (two years old)
Playboy Gold, January 31, Sunland – “hernia” (yet-to-be-raced)
Cooper Leroy, March 1, Sunland – “pleuro-pneumonia” (yet-to-be-raced)
Its Gonna Happen, June 22, Ruidoso – “colic” (yet-to-be-raced)
Shezaffirmedbeauty, July 8, Ruidoso – “colic” (last raced July 1)
Dashn Regard, July 10, Ruidoso – “colic” (last raced June 22)
Mountain Lips V, July 30, Ruidoso – “hernia” (yet-to-be-raced)
Magold Cartel (probably sic), August 2, Ruidoso – “colic”

I count 47 in 8 months. That averages about 60 per year. A guesstimate would be in 2,000 - 2500 per year for all tracks including harness that die each year. Remember it doesn't include those "disappearing " horses.

So the real questions are,
How much do you care?
Are you willing to help?
Can you make a difference and change this for the better?
Do you have any good solutions? (There is nothing to outlandish you can suggest so don't be shy)

Last edited by richard burch : 11-04-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Churchill Downs

Given the backdrop against which this year's cup was going to be held, it was corporate malpractice for the Breeders Cup to keep the event at Santa Anita. Coincidence or not, a horse has now been put down (immediately or from complications from an injury suffered on Cup Day) each of the last four times that the Breeders Cup was conducted at Santa Anita: Secret Compass (2013); Vicar's in Trouble (2014); Corona Del Inca (2016); and Mongolian Groom.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Churchill Downs

Well I guess I answered my own question. Sure this site hates all of us but I have no reason to doubt the statistics. Good that somebody is on top of it but pretty shocking actually. Unfortunately most bettors turn a blind eye to this kind of info. A racing form is much better for them.

At least my state looks good..

New Jersey
Monmouth Park: 3 dead racehorses
The Meadowlands
Freehold Raceway
Far Hills Steeplechase: 1 dead racehorse

One thing is clear, Harness racing is a hell of a lot safer for horse and driver. That is why they can race for 15 years.

2019 carnage.
https://horseracingwrongs.org/killed-2019/
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
Given the backdrop against which this year's cup was going to be held, it was corporate malpractice for the Breeders Cup to keep the event at Santa Anita. Coincidence or not, a horse has now been put down (immediately or from complications from an injury suffered on Cup Day) each of the last four times that the Breeders Cup was conducted at Santa Anita: Secret Compass (2013); Vicar's in Trouble (2014); Corona Del Inca (2016); and Mongolian Groom.
And which race track do think could have given a 100% guarantee that there would be no breakdowns on either day?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
Well I guess I answered my own question. Sure this site hates all of us but I have no reason to doubt the statistics. Good that somebody is on top of it but pretty shocking actually. Unfortunately most bettors turn a blind eye to this kind of info. A racing form is much better for them.

At least my state looks good..

New Jersey
Monmouth Park: 3 dead racehorses
The Meadowlands
Freehold Raceway
Far Hills Steeplechase: 1 dead racehorse

One thing is clear, Harness racing is a hell of a lot safer for horse and driver. That is why they can race for 15 years.

2019 carnage.
https://horseracingwrongs.org/killed-2019/
The Meadowlands has its own problems: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ping/32696263/

Harness racing has its own doping issues and PETA is in their yard too. They don't care how many bodies there are. That's not even the point. It's all a manipulation. They're just looking for an angle.

Folks, I don't get why we're not giving PETA hell over their body count. I believe in the last year there were 1600+ euthanized animals by PETA. Ask Feinstein and Newsom about that. Ask what they're planning to do. Keep up the heat on that. Where's the PETA expose? Nobody wanting to go undercover to show cute animals dead because of them? Hit PETA's pocket book by decreasing enthusiasm to donate, you attack their ability to attack racing. Find out if any of the people writing hit pieces have any animal rights groups connections and insist the publications admit the ethical bias. Hold feet to fire.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Del Mar

I think we've passed that opportunity. Now every news feed pops out a story when something happens. This needs some drastic changes that reassure the pubic and improve greatly the way horses are protected as much as possible from these injuries and deaths. Still going to happen, but we must start somewhere beyond what is being done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
The Meadowlands has its own problems: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ping/32696263/

Harness racing has its own doping issues and PETA is in their yard too. They don't care how many bodies there are. That's not even the point. It's all a manipulation. They're just looking for an angle.

Folks, I don't get why we're not giving PETA hell over their body count. I believe in the last year there were 1600+ euthanized animals by PETA. Ask Feinstein and Newsom about that. Ask what they're planning to do. Keep up the heat on that. Where's the PETA expose? Nobody wanting to go undercover to show cute animals dead because of them? Hit PETA's pocket book by decreasing enthusiasm to donate, you attack their ability to attack racing. Find out if any of the people writing hit pieces have any animal rights groups connections and insist the publications admit the ethical bias. Hold feet to fire.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
And which race track do think could have given a 100% guarantee that there would be no breakdowns on either day?
While that is a goal to shoot for, obviously none. You wouldn't be able to have any guarantees with most kinds of racing, animal or human.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:

. Harness racing has its own doping issues and PETA is in their yard too. They don't care how many bodies there are. That's not even the point. It's all a manipulation. They're just looking for an angle.

I'm not naive about what happens at racetracks everywhere. Everybody cheats, I get it but NJ tracks didn't have 42 dead racehorses +/- either. I am specifically talking about breakdowns and I don't want to get off topic. I believe MG broke down due to natural causes and this wasn't a doping issue. I would guess that most breakdowns are not dope related. I'm also not concerned about PETA and I never mentioned them. That is because if you start to find ways to make racing safer the PETA and the whoever-else problem will go away on it's own. Whats also not taken into account is the health of the jockeys. I would hate to think that any trainer would put a jock on a horse that he thinks may breakdown. That is life threatening serious ****. PETA will only mention the horse so F them.

Last edited by richard burch : 11-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder View Post
I think we've passed that opportunity. Now every news feed pops out a story when something happens. This needs some drastic changes that reassure the pubic and improve greatly the way horses are protected as much as possible from these injuries and deaths. Still going to happen, but we must start somewhere beyond what is being done
Thank you.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Churchill Downs

At the "highest" level of tracks in the US here are the #s... They are consistently the top offenders.

SA 2018 48 dead racehorses
SA 2019 42 dead racehorses

BEL 2018 30 dead racehorses
BEL 2019 33 dead racehorses

GULF 2018 55 dead racehorses
GULF 2019 34 dead racehorses

I would think that the more prestigious tracks would have less injuries given the owners, trainers and connections. Totally skewed the wrong way.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
I'm not naive about what happens at racetracks everywhere. Everybody cheats, I get it but NJ tracks didn't have 42 dead racehorses +/- either. I am specifically talking about breakdowns and I don't want to get off topic. I believe MG broke down due to natural causes and this wasn't a doping issue. I would guess that most breakdowns are not dope related. I'm also not concerned about PETA and I never mentioned them. That is because if you start to find ways to make racing safer the PETA and the whoever-else problem will go away on it's own. Whats also not taken into account is the health of the jockeys. I would hate to think that any trainer would put a jock on a horse that he thinks may breakdown. That is life threatening serious ****. PETA will only mention the horse so F them.
As far as Monmouth vs Santa Anita, I’d be interested to know the number of horses that train/run at Monmouth vs SA as well as the number of racing days and any other relevant info. I don’t think total deaths will give you the full picture.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

PETA exists to line the pockets of their executives.