Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
It is inexcusable for them to intentionally mess with the track to make it faster. People play Belmont every day and know how the track plays. Sure it can change a little bit from day to day. There isn't much they can do about that. Horse players accept that.

But why would management go out of their way to intentionally make the track lightening fast (which causes a speed bias)? Nobody wants them to do that. It makes the track play totally differently from the way it normally plays. How could they not know that their customers don't want them to do that? Do they think people want to have to totally change the way they handicap?
The track has played quickly at quite a few times during the meet. We'll have to agree to disagree that this has any relevance, in isolation, whatsoever. Now, an inside bias, something that has also happened with at least some frequency during the meet ( feel free to look at my Track Trends which are posted under the "racing" subhead on nyra.com ) does have an affect on races.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Even someone as clueless as you should know that picking races well in advance on tracks that end up with extreme biases is a very dicey proposition. However, it's even more disgraceful when, given everyone here knows you look at every pick I make, I have been literally crushing it over the past month ( and frankly been strong for even longer than that ). But, two days where, and you know this too, I repeatedly said I was putting very likely and logical horses second to try to find pricier alternatives, none of my "top selections" won erases all else. Good for you. You got me. You are also the worst kind of person....someone who was actually a friend of mine outside of cyberspace, who became so jealous of my relatively microscopic supposed success, that you decided to lash out on the internet ( ..and, yeah, there were those infamous Phish tickets too ). Honestly, it doesn't get any lower than you.
You are delusional.
Coming from you, it’s a compliment. And I am not jealous of you or anyone. I don’t root against or wish bad things on you or anyone else. Try admitting when you’re wrong, and you might feel better about yourself.

The past is not the lowest form of conversation. It’s awesome. The condescending way that you talk to people is really the lowest.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Who cares if it's slow or fast? You care there is a significant bias, for two reasons, the first is being it's hard to toss logical horses into plays if their style doesn't fit the bias, and the second is its more work because now you have to weight their effort the next time they run which is tricky.
When they make the track so fast at Belmont, there is almost always a big speed bias. That is my main point.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
The track has played quickly at quite a few times during the meet. We'll have to agree to disagree that this has any relevance, in isolation, whatsoever. Now, an inside bias, something that has also happened with at least some frequency during the meet ( feel free to look at my Track Trends which are posted under the "racing" subhead on nyra.com ) does have an affect on races.
This is not the first time this has happened. And Belmont is not the only track who speeds up the track on big days. But the point is that when they do speed the track up on big days, it usually creates a big speed bias. I don't think that customers like that. I don't like it. Do you like it? I think most people would prefer that they leave the track alone and let it play the way it usually plays.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
When they make the track so fast at Belmont, there is almost always a big speed bias. That is my main point.
Two different situations. It's OK to admit it.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Everyone wants a fair surface. If you think the superintendent, who is considered by many to be outstanding, wants a bias surface you couldn't be more wrong. There is no way in the world he wakes up and says to himself, let's make a golden rail today.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Keeneland

Rupert, there wasn’t a big speed bias. There was a big rail bias.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Everyone wants a fair surface. If you think the superintendent, who is considered by many to be outstanding, wants a bias surface you couldn't be more wrong. There is no way in the world he wakes up and says to himself, let's make a golden rail today.
I don't think he wants there to be a speed bias. I think he was told to make the track really fast. On these really big days, for whatever reason, they like the track to be really fast. The result is usually a speed bias.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Two different situations. It's OK to admit it.
What is the other situation you are referring to? I am specifically talking about the situation where track management purposely goes out of their way to make the track really fast on a big day (producing a speed bias).
Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I don't think he wants there to be a speed bias. I think he was told to make the track really fast. On these really big days, for whatever reason, they like the track to be really fast. The result is usually a speed bias.
Safe surface priority one

Working with horseman to find a surface a majority want priority two

Taking a call from "they" to speed the track up is a fantasy ESPECIALLY this day and age of hypersensitivity to track conditions and horse fatalities.

BTW who do you think made the call Yo Glenn scrape the surface we want fast times for TV?
Old 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Safe surface priority one

Working with horseman to find a surface a majority want priority two

Taking a call from "they" to speed the track up is a fantasy ESPECIALLY this day and age of hypersensitivity to track conditions and horse fatalities.

BTW who do you think made the call Yo Glenn scrape the surface we want fast times for TV?
Somebody obviously made the call. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the track is lightening fast on days like this? I highly doubt the trackman just decides to take it upon himself to speed up the track on these big days.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
But there wasn’t a speed bias. The rail was golden. That’s not the same as a speed bias. You could close yesterday. But the longer you were glued to the rail, the better you did.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Somebody obviously made the call. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the track is lightening fast on days like this? I highly doubt the trackman just decides to take it upon himself to speed up the track on these big days.
Somebody made the call? Did KYRIM steal your login? Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself. You don't even know the difference between a rail bias and a speed bias.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Somebody made the call? Did KYRIM steal your login? Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself. You don't even know the difference between a rail bias and a speed bias.
Yeah, you are right. It's just a coincidence that the track always seems to be lightening fast on these big days. I guess it just gets that way on its own.

I think there was totally a speed bias both Friday and Saturday. There may have been a rail bias too. I don't focus on rail biases or outside biases because they are too hard to determine conclusively. It's not too hard to figure out if there's a speed bias. Rail biases are harder to determine conclusively, at least for me.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 06-09-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Jerome Park

The King of Comedy is such a good movie. It really does not deserve this.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
But there wasn’t a speed bias. The rail was golden. That’s not the same as a speed bias. You could close yesterday. But the longer you were glued to the rail, the better you did.
A speed bias doesn't mean you can't close. It just means it's much tougher to close. If there is a suicidal pace, someone will probably close. That doesn't mean there's not a speed bias.

I will take your word for it that there was a rail bias. It's not something I focus on.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
The King of Comedy is such a good movie. It really does not deserve this.
Watchmaker thought there was a speed bias too. You better give him a call and tell him that he doesn't know what he's talking about. You still didn't explain how the track magically gets so lightening fast on big days. I've got to hear this.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/48281-in...t-s-main-track
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
A speed bias doesn't mean you can't close. It just means it's much tougher to close. If there is a suicidal pace, someone will probably close. That doesn't mean there's not a speed bias.

I will take your word for it that there was a rail bias. It's not something I focus on.
You weren’t aware of the inside bias but want to educate me on what a speed bias is. Tremendous. Cherry on top is using Watchmaker as proof.

Don’t change ever.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You weren’t aware of the inside bias but want to educate me on what a speed bias is. Tremendous. Cherry on top is using Watchmaker as proof.

Don’t change ever.
You're totally contradicting yourself. An inside bias will automatically create a speed bias. Any horse that gets a clear lead will be on the rail. A horse with a clear lead is not going to be out in the 4 path. So the horse on the lead is going to have the rail. Many of the come-from-behinders are going to be rallying wide. So an inside bias is going to favor speed horses. That is automatic. You can't have an inside bias that doesn't favor speed.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You're totally contradicting yourself. An inside bias will automatically create a speed bias. Any horse that gets a clear lead will be on the rail. A horse with a clear lead is not going to be out in the 4 path. So the horse on the lead is going to have the rail. Many of the come-from-behinders are going to be rallying wide. So an inside bias is going to favor speed horses. That is automatic. You can't have an inside bias that doesn't favor speed.
Are you related to Dilanesp from PaceAdvantage? He’s the only other person I can think of that would rather cut their head off than admit they are wrong.