Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Steve Byk

Arrow 5/4 (CD): 145th Kentucky Oaks Day ~ 1st/4th off the turf..

Last edited by Kasept : 04-30-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Hialeah Park

Is the Edgewood that includes Newspaperofrecord and the 1/9 odds accompanying her part of the Oaks Day P6?
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Is the Edgewood that includes Newspaperofrecord and the 1/9 odds accompanying her part of the Oaks Day P6?
Yep, first leg. Don't think she'll be 1-9 if the other Chad stays in there but obviously still very short and I too was surprised to see it included in the Pick 6.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Yep, first leg. Don't think she'll be 1-9 if the other Chad stays in there but obviously still very short and I too was surprised to see it included in the Pick 6.
Probably 1/2 and 2/1, with the others 20+ (rightfully so. They can't win.)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post

A short priced single helps handle in a Pick-6 and Pick-5 and possibly Pick-4 depending on the other legs.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
Probably 1/2 and 2/1, with the others 20+ (rightfully so. They can't win.)
I see that's around the ML but I will respectfully disagree. No way those two are that close. They are in different leagues unless somehow Newspaperofrecord forgot how to run.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I see that's around the ML but I will respectfully disagree. No way those two are that close. They are in different leagues unless somehow Newspaperofrecord forgot how to run.
I don’t disagree. My line would be 2/5 and 3/1... I’m just making a ML, with the notation their speed figures are pretty close and the betting public will focus on that. I’ll probably avoid the race as there’s some much more appealing races later.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
A short priced single helps handle in a Pick-6 and Pick-5 and possibly Pick-4 depending on the other legs.
I know it helps the handle b/c everyone is under the impression that there is a free square, but the last couple of years i've actually been trying to ween myself away from Pk3-Pk4-Pk5, etc. wagers when there is a chalk like Newspaperofrecord to start the first leg. My mindset is that everyone will have the horse in some which way shape or form thereby creating more live tickets and pushing down the payout.

-bt-
Old 04-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
I know it helps the handle b/c everyone is under the impression that there is a free square, but the last couple of years i've actually been trying to ween myself away from Pk3-Pk4-Pk5, etc. wagers when there is a chalk like Newspaperofrecord to start the first leg. My mindset is that everyone will have the horse in some which way shape or form thereby creating more live tickets and pushing down the payout.

-bt-
That is sometimes the case. I like to look for other races in the sequence where I can separate from the pack, though that’s not always the case.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Yeah, but usually in cases like these I'd think the objective is also to create a big carryover for the big day. Although with the $.20 minimum, that's pretty unlikely either way.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

-bt-
I relish these opportunities... Will include the favorite with one or 2 long shots and if she doesn't fire you are competing for a LARGE Pick 3, 4, 5.... Horses are not machines...
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I relish these opportunities... Will include the favorite with one or 2 long shots and if she doesn't fire you are competing for a LARGE Pick 3, 4, 5.... Horses are not machines...
i agree with that logic about adding a few prices if the chalk runs up the track, but then where do you get skinny? At least for me, the whole point of singling is so i can cast a wider net in the remaining sequence.

-bt-
Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
i agree with that logic about adding a few prices if the chalk runs up the track, but then where do you get skinny? At least for me, the whole point of singling is so i can cast a wider net in the remaining sequence.

-bt-
See that is what everyone is doing and leads you to a lot of chalky payouts and exits in situations that you want to be alive (Heavy Favorite Beat). Skinny for may be 2 deep in another leg where I really like a horse (usually not favorite). Or in the case of the Derby I may choose to make my Stand in the Derby and single there. Look at Pick 5 last year into Derby Favorite $620,827.65... You don't get a shot at a number like that when your single is an overwhelming odds on favorite... Now of course I will have a backup ticket where I might single that Odds on favorite along with my other "skinny" and get deeper in a race like the derby but that ticket will be much cheaper and basically it is a get out...
Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
See that is what everyone is doing and leads you to a lot of chalky payouts and exits in situations that you want to be alive (Heavy Favorite Beat). Skinny for may be 2 deep in another leg where I really like a horse (usually not favorite). Or in the case of the Derby I may choose to make my Stand in the Derby and single there. Look at Pick 5 last year into Derby Favorite $620,827.65... You don't get a shot at a number like that when your single is an overwhelming odds on favorite... Now of course I will have a backup ticket where I might single that Odds on favorite along with my other "skinny" and get deeper in a race like the derby but that ticket will be much cheaper and basically it is a get out...
That’s what I’m talking about. I’m not a horizontal guy in general, but this is good sh!t.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
That’s what I’m talking about. I’m not a horizontal guy in general, but this is good sh!t.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Holy cow. I didn’t remember the pick 5 being that large. Good old Funny Duck.

Anyway, good stuff. I love hearing stuff like this. I’ve been pretty good hitting Pick 3s but I struggle tremendously with the Pick 4 and 5...which I guess is sort of the point.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Longchamps

Quote:

-bt-
I've been trying more often to go skinny with races I don't like the favorite. Like for the Oaks I really like Restless Rider and think Bellafina cant be beat here. I will either single that one or add Jaywalk but wont be covering Bellafina. Risk/reward
Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM
The Curragh

I definitely think it's worth trying to beat Bellafina.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
If Im reading between the lines correctly, I like your philosophy
Old 05-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Hialeah Park

WOW — Reports on Twitter have Omaha Beach as OUT for the Kentucky Derby. Tough one for Mandella and connections! Ouch!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel