Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Iliad, an even 5th as the 3-1 Santa Anita Derby favorite, will look to start in the 5/20 @PreaknessStakes per @DougONeill1..
That's good. Then he'll be a square price in the Woody Stephens on the Belmont undercard.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Saratoga

Byron King on twitter

Mike Smith to ride Louisiana Derby winner Girvin in the #KyDerby, Joe Sharp just told DRF
Old 04-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
Byron King on twitter

Mike Smith to ride Louisiana Derby winner Girvin in the #KyDerby, Joe Sharp just told DRF
Great, his price just dropped in half now.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
Great, his price just dropped in half now.
The general public hardly knows who riders are, and thats what the pool is made of for the Derby.

I think the fact the horse is so slow will outweigh any other factor, even if Shoemaker was riding.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Steve Byk

Kentucky Derby news: One Liner off trail
David Grening , 2017-04-10 - DRF Live Posted : 3hrs 13mins ago

One Liner, the undefeated winner of the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes, will not run in Saturday’s Grade 1, $1 million Arkansas Derby and is off the Kentucky Derby trail, trainer Todd Pletcher said Monday.

Pletcher said he wasn’t satisfied with One Liner’s five-furlong workout at Palm Beach Downs on Saturday where he was given a time of 1:01.80 for five furlongs. Pletcher said the horse would be shipped to WinStar Farm for a freshening.

“He just hasn’t had the same spark that he had prior to the Southwest,” Pletcher said by phone from Palm Beach Downs. “I thought the work prior to this was better, but this work was not the One Liner we’re expecting to see in the mornings. Can’t put our finger on it but he just hasn’t produced his form since the Southwest.”

One Liner won the Southwest by 3 1-2 lengths on Feb. 20, earning a 102 Beyer Speed Figure. He had won his first two starts sprinting, a 5 1-2-furlong maiden race at Saratoga last July and a first-level allowance going six furlongs at Gulfstream on Jan. 26.

Meanwhile, Pletcher said Wood Memorial runner-up Battalion Runner is still very much under consideration for the Kentucky Derby. Owner Vinnie Viola said immediately after the race that he would be inclined to skip it, but Pletcher said Monday that position has been reconsidered.

“I thought he ran well, I think you can make an argument for some reasons why he could move forward from having that race,” Pletcher said. “First time a mile and an eighth, first out in 64 days, looked like he might have got a little tired the last part. I thought overall it was a good, solid effort. The real key would be how he comes out of it and how he trains, especially how he likes the surface at Churchill.”

Pletcher said Battalion Runner would be on the next flight to Kentucky from New York, though it is unclear the date of that flight.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

One Liner, the undefeated winner of the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes, will not run in Saturday’s Grade 1, $1 million Arkansas Derby and is off the Kentucky Derby trail, trainer Todd Pletcher said Monday.

Pletcher said he wasn’t satisfied with One Liner’s five-furlong workout at Palm Beach Downs on Saturday where he was given a time of 1:01.80 for five furlongs. Pletcher said the horse would be shipped to WinStar Farm for a freshening.

“He just hasn’t had the same spark that he had prior to the Southwest,” Pletcher said by phone from Palm Beach Downs. “I thought the work prior to this was better, but this work was not the One Liner we’re expecting to see in the mornings. Can’t put our finger on it but he just hasn’t produced his form since the Southwest.”

One Liner won the Southwest by 3 1-2 lengths on Feb. 20, earning a 102 Beyer Speed Figure. He had won his first two starts sprinting, a 5 1-2-furlong maiden race at Saratoga last July and a first-level allowance going six furlongs at Gulfstream on Jan. 26.

Meanwhile, Pletcher said Wood Memorial runner-up Battalion Runner is still very much under consideration for the Kentucky Derby. Owner Vinnie Viola said immediately after the race that he would be inclined to skip it, but Pletcher said Monday that position has been reconsidered.

“I thought he ran well, I think you can make an argument for some reasons why he could move forward from having that race,” Pletcher said. “First time a mile and an eighth, first out in 64 days, looked like he might have got a little tired the last part. I thought overall it was a good, solid effort. The real key would be how he comes out of it and how he trains, especially how he likes the surface at Churchill.”

Pletcher said Battalion Runner would be on the next flight to Kentucky from New York, though it is unclear the date of that flight.
Battalion Runner should run in the Pat Day mile. He would be very tough regardless of who else shows up. Off subject a bit..... but where is American Freedom?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Battalion Runner should run in the Pat Day mile. He would be very tough regardless of who else shows up. Off subject a bit..... but where is American Freedom?
Training up to the BCC & Pegasus!

"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Training up to the BCC & Pegasus!

He was best at Monmouth and beat everyone but Arrogate in the Travers. He could win some big races.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:20 PM
Longchamps

Quote:

Saw this coming with the poor works.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
He was best at Monmouth and beat everyone but Arrogate in the Travers. He could win some big races.
And was truly dreadful at Churchill.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Agreed that he is a talented runner, but a layoff of this magnitude is rarely ever a good thing.

I hope we see him again soon.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Steve Byk

American Freedom into a nice steady work beat.. Appears very close to ready.

02/10/2017 LA 3F :35.80 Dirt Fast H
02/16/2017 LA 4F :48.80 Dirt Fast H
02/23/2017 LA 4F :46.80 Dirt Fast H
03/04/2017 SA 4F :48.80 Dirt Fast H
03/10/2017 SA 4F :48.40 Dirt Fast H
03/16/2017 SA 4F :48.80 Dirt Fast H
03/24/2017 SA 5F 1:00.60 Dirt Fast H
03/30/2017 SA 5F :58.40 Dirt Fast H
04/07/2017 SA 6F 1:12.40 Dirt Fast H G
Old 04-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
And was truly dreadful at Churchill.
Watch the race again.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
He ran well in the Haskell but Exagerator was the best that day
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
He ran well in the Haskell but Exagerator was the best that day
Not so sure. RHT might be right about that one. It's at least close.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Not so sure. RHT might be right about that one. It's at least close.
Ya I rewatched the race. Freedom did run huge race but still feel exaggerator was best in that race as he was in a lot of slop fests. Hoping freedom comes back strong
Old 04-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Jerome Park

He could. You would have to think they want to run in the Met Mile.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
He could. You would have to think they want to run in the Met Mile.
I was thinking exactly that. Mor Spirit also.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:50 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Watch the race again.
He was terrible that race. Not sure what you want me to see.

I agree that he can be a very good horse though.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
He was terrible that race. Not sure what you want me to see.

I agree that he can be a very good horse though.
Lets agree to disagree. He was 4,5,6 wide every step pressing a 44 half 2nd career start. Far from ideal trip.