Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Steve Byk

Additions of Iron Rob & Denman's Call push Santa Anita Derby field to 7..

Danzing Candy (Sise)
Mor Spirit (Baffert)
Exaggerator (Desormeaux)
Uncle Lino (Sherlock)
Smokey Image (Gaines)
Iron Rob (Papaprodromou)
Denman's Call (O'Neill)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Steve Byk

4/2 (GP): FLORIDA DERBY (100/40/20/10)

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...0160402-534396

Nyquist (O'Neill)
Mohaymen (McLaughlin)
Fellowship (Gold)
Majesto (Delgado)
Sawyers Mickey (Amoss)
Fashionable Freddy (Zito)
Takeittotheedge (Romans)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 AM
Steve Byk

4/2 (TP): SPIRAL (50/20/10/5)

https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...0160402-535660

Airoforce (Casse)
Azar (Pletcher)
Crescent Drive (Amoss)
Don't Be So Salty (Contessa)
Ralis (O'Neill)
Jensen (L. Jones)
Surgical Strike (Colebrook)
That Makes Sense (Lukas)
Two Step Time (Maker)
Oscar Nominated (Maker)
Strike Up the Band (Maker)
Swagger Jagger (Maker)
Kasseopia (Motion) ~ SA Derby

Back Togetheragain (M. Howard) ~ Rushaway
Gimlet (Pletcher) ~ Rushaway
Whatawonderflworld (Casse) ~ Rushaway
Zapperini (Foley) ~ Rushaway

Last edited by Kasept : 03-29-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Randwyck

whats the deal with Swipe? I know he got banged up but is I thought he was back to work but so far not pointing anywhere?

found it...

BREAKING NEWS: Trainer Keith Desormeaux announces that Swipe, 2nd place finisher in the Breeders Cup Juvenile, will make his 2016 debut in the G3 Lexington Stakes at Keeneland April 16th. The Lexington offers 10 points to the winner of the race and Desormeaux says if he wins, Swipe will go to the Derby.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Steve Byk

Shagaf, Flexibility confirmed for Wood Memorial

OZONE PARK, N.Y. - Beating the rain that fell this morning at Belmont Park, trainer Chad Brown worked a trio of his 3-year-olds at 7:40 a.m. with an eye on final-round Kentucky Derby preps. Shortly after the works, Brown confirmed that Grade 3 Gotham Stakes winner Shagaf and Grade 3 Jerome Stakes winner Flexibility will both run in the Grade 1, $1 million Wood Memorial at Aqueduct on April 9.

Working as a team, Shadwell Stable's Shagaf and Klaravich Stables and William H. Lawrence's Flexibility covered four furlongs on the training track in :48 2/5. Brown said the colts, who started and finished on even terms, got their first eighth of a mile in :13 1/5.

"This is the first week that I worked them together," Brown said. "Shagaf and Flexibility are generally good work horses. They had plenty left and were well within themselves - pretty even work. That would be a normal half-mile work for them."

The undefeated Shagaf will be ridden in the Wood Memorial by Irad Ortiz Jr., who piloted him to a 1 1/4-length victory in the Gotham.

In the weeks since the Gotham, Shagaf has been schooled at the starting gate, as well as practice sessions loading onto a van. Brown said the colt has done very well in both exercises.

"The horse is a little quirky; particularly with tight spots," Brown explained. "If he decides he doesn't want to do something, he will stick his toes in there. He won't get mean or hot or aggressive, he just won't do it. Going into the starting gate was a problem early on and loading into vans was a problem. Sometimes going into the saddling enclosure is a problem, but we can avoid that by saddling outside of it. But, unfortunately, we can't avoid the starting gate or the van.

"My staff and the gate crew have been working with him and he has made a lot of progress," Brown continued. "We've been schooling him going into the van since the Gotham, and he has been going right in, and the same with the gate. All in all, I'm proud of the horse's progress mentally in terms of being agreeable to the stuff we want him to do."

Flexibility, who will be ridden by Manny Franco in the Wood Memorial, is coming off a layoff. After winning the Jerome to open his 3-year-old campaign on Jan. 2, Flexibility finished fourth as the favorite in the Grade 3 Withers at Aqueduct on Jan. 30.

"I think Flexibility can be competitive in the Wood, particularly with the way he is training - he is training really well," Brown remarked. "I think the layoff has done him well. As far as where he needs to be numbers-wise to compete with the top group of 3-year-old dirt horses, I think the race will do him well for his next start after that. If he is able to run good enough in the Wood, and grab some more [qualifying] points for the Derby, I think his second start off the layoff will be his best.

"We're trying to accomplish two things here," Brown continued. "Obviously, we would love the horse to win, but if he just runs well, and earns his way into the Derby with both a good performance and points, I'm inclined to take him to Kentucky, knowing his second start off a layoff will be his better start."

Brown indicated that his other Wood Memorial nominee, My Man Sam, who worked a half-mile in :50 Saturday at Belmont, will ship Sunday to Keeneland to run in the Blue Grass Stakes on April 9.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Looking at the current point totals and the preps that are remaining... Fellowship and Mo Tom are right on the bubble... They both have 32 and I can see that possibly 20 might have 34 or more... That being said .. There are always some defections because of health issues.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Steve Byk

For those looking, Vorticity out with minor surgery.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Steve Byk

8th: SANTA ANITA DERBY

1. Denman's Call (Bejarano)
2. Exaggerator (Desormeaux)
3. Danzing Candy (Smith)
4. Mor Spirit (Stevens)
5. Smokey Image (Espinoza)
6. Iron Rob (Elliott)
7. Dressed in Hermes (Prat)
8. Rare Candy (Talamo)
9. Diplodocus (T. Baze)
10. Uncle Lino (Perez)
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Randwyck

If Desormeaux has any thoughts on Swipe getting to run in the derby, he needs to send him to AR. Derby for the points.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin4ever View Post
If Desormeaux has any thoughts on Swipe getting to run in the derby, he needs to send him to AR. Derby for the points.

hearing him interviewed this weekend on tvg it sure sounded like he had given up on this one making the gate first Saturday in may..was talking about other big races this summer etc etc
Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Golden Gate

hoping Suddenbreakingnews can get in. he's currently at 10 points. the Arkansas Derby has 100-40-20-10 available.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Steve Byk

Cupid out; Mo Tom in..
Old 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Cupid out; Mo Tom in..
Yesss!! I mean too bad for Cupid.....still a Mo Tom fan
Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Steve Byk

5/7 (CD): KENTUCKY DERBY

Points standing

Jock assignments set except for Majesto..

1. Gun Runner-151 (Asmussen/Geroux)
2. Nyquist-130 (O'Neill/Gutierrez)
3. Exaggerator-126 (Desormeaux/Desormeaux)
4. Outwork-120 (Pletcher/Velazquez)
5. Brody's Cause-114 (Romans/Saez)
6. Creator-110 (Asmussen/Santana)
7. Lani-100 (Matsunaga/Take)
8. Mor Spirit-84 (Baffert/Stevens)
9. Mohaymen-80 (McLaughlin/Alvarado)
10. Danzing Candy-60 (Sise/Smith)
11. Destin-51 (Pletcher/Castellano)
12. Suddenbreakingnews-50 (Von Hemel/Quinonez)
13. Oscar Nominated-50 (Maker/Leparoux)
14. Shagaf-50 (Brown/Rosario)
15. Whitmore-44 (Moquett/Espinoza)
16. Tom's Ready-44 (Stewart/B. Hernandez Jr.)
17. Majesto-40 (Delgado/TBA)
18. Trojan Nation-40 (Gallagher/Gryder)
19. My Man Sam-40 (Brown/I. Ortiz)
20. Mo Tom-32 (Amoss/Lanerie)
------------------------------------
21. Fellowship-32 (Casse)
22. Adventist-32 (Gyarmati)
23. Laoban-32 (Guillot)
24. Dazzling Gem-30 (Cox)
25. Cherry Wine-26 (Romans)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 PM
The Curragh

Sure would like SBN to come out of the clouds...if he had someone other that Quinonez on him. I'd seriously take Antonino Gallardo every day of the week over Luis Q, much less someone like Albarado or Lezcano.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Morris Park

Steve, will you be posting probables for the Oaks and Derby undercards? I've been compiling my own list based on your guests' comments.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Havre de Grace

Find it hard to believe Lanerie would be on Mo Tom after Amoss wanted to kill him in new orleans
Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
Steve, will you be posting probables for the Oaks and Derby undercards? I've been compiling my own list based on your guests' comments.
Absolutely..
Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Derby works videos

http://www.twinspires.com/blog/2016/...workout-videos

Mohaymen looks good
Nyquist determined
Lani fat,poor muscles
Catherine Sophia -sprinter/miler to my eyes

Blaise Pascal
Old 04-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Steve Byk

@DRFWelsch Sunday Training Notes:

Some quick thoughts on Sunday's Derby-Oaks training session..

My Man Sam- Strictly a maintenance type of move in 50 and change early this morning with Irad Ortiz Jr. up, wasn't flashy but did like the finish and strong gallop out in company with the older, multiple SW Majestic Affair.

Shagaf- Very solid looking half-mile work in 48.35, came home in 23.62 on his own with a nice gallop out of 1:01.43, up six furlongs in 1:14.57.

Mo Tom- Showed very good energy opening galloping six furlongs from the five-eighths pole in 1:23.34, then reversed direction and jogged another spirited 7/8's or so home the wrong way on outside fence while on his toes much of the way.

Gun Runner- Was full of run this morning a day prior to scheduled work, took him from six furlong pole galloping a mile just off the rail in 1:53 with a :38.15 three-eighths split tossed in to the wire. Will be interesting to see if he shows the same high energy wheeling right back to breeze on Monday.

Lani- Didn't record an official work but was asked to pick it up along the rail from the half-mile pole to wire, wasn't a pretty sight struggling to wire down the lane in 25.96 under urging.

Cherry Wine- Seems to have skipped a work this weekend two weeks out from the Blue Grass, especially considering Brody's Cause did breeze yesterday exiting same race, he jogged, did not gallop this morning.

Royal Obsession- Oaks filly made super impression galloping very early this morning under the lights, expect to see good things if she breezes, as expected, on Monday.

Mor Spirit- Small in stature, gallops with his head down, eagerly awaiting his first local work later this week.