Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Steve Byk

Arrow 5/2 (CD): 140th Kentucky Oaks (G1); 5 Undercard Stakes

5th (12:43) La Troienne S. (G1)

1 1/16 Miles | Fillies and Mares | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $300,000

1 Molly Morgan Lanerie C J 118 L
2 Liberated Elliott S 118 L
3 Unlimited Budget Velazquez J R 118 L
4 Magic Union Lezcano J 118 L
5 Devil's Cave Castellano J J 120 L
6 On Fire Baby Johnson J M 118 L

6th (1:26) Twin Spires Turf Sprint S. (G3)

5 Furlongs (Turf) | Open | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Ancil Leparoux J R 120 L
2 Undrafted Velazquez J R 118 L
3 Stormofthecentury Elliott S 118 L
4 Marchman Albarado R J 120 L
5 Scatman Lezcano J 118 L
6 Positive Side Goncalves L R 118
7 Googleado (ARG) Borel C H 118 L
8 Sum of the Parts Napravnik R 120 L
9 Havelock Castellano J J 118 L

8th (3:02) Eight Belles S. (G3)

7 Furlongs | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $175,000

1 Whomping Willow Lanerie C J 118 L
2 Lady Paradime Maragh R 118 L
3 Designer Legs Bridgmohan S X 118 L
4 Our Amazing Rose Velazquez J R 118 L
5 Jojo Warrior Napravnik R 118 L
6 Cash Control Graham J 118 L
7 Fiftyshadesofgold Smith M E 118 L
8 Mufajaah Johnson J M 118 L
9 Milam Lezcano J 118 L
10 She's a Tiger Stevens G L 118 Blk-Off L

9th (4:02) Edgewood S.

1 1/16 Miles (Turf) | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Miss Machiavelli Desormeaux K J 118 L
2 Courageous Julie Napravnik R 118 L
3 Granny Mc's Kitten Rosario J 118 L
4 Candy Kitty Velazquez J R 120 L
5 Little Journey (FR) Lezcano J 118 L
6 A Little Bit Sassy Saez L 118
7 Istanford Castellano J J 118 L
8 V V Goodnight Garcia Alan 118 L
9 Fonepferesh (IRE) Rocco J S Jr 118 Blk-On L
10 Resistivity Leparoux J R 118 L

10th (4:52) Alysheba S. (G2)

1 1/16 Miles | Open | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $300,000

1 Moonshine Mullin Borel C H 118 L
2 Will Take Charge Stevens G L 123 L
3 Mylute Napravnik R 118 L
4 Coin Broker Lanerie C J 118 L
5 Normandy Invasion Castellano J J 118 L
6 Golden Soul Albarado R J 118 L
7 Golden Ticket Rosario J 118 L
8 Appealing Tale Espinoza V 118 L
9 Bradester Lezcano J 120 L

11th (5:49) Longines Kentucky Oaks (G1)

1 1/8 Miles | Fillies - All Carry 121 | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $1,000,000

1. Please Explain (Tom Proctor/Jose Lezcano) 50-1
2. Ria Antonia (Bob Baffert/Mike Smith) 10-1
3. Sugar Shock (Doug Anderson/Calvin Borel) 12-1
4. Rosalind (Ken McPeek/Joel Rosario) 8-1
5. Thank You Marylou (Mike Maker/Julien Leparoux) 30-1
6. Kiss Moon (David Vance/Victor Espinoza) 30-1
7. Fashion Plate (Simon Callaghan/Gary Stevens 6-1
8. Aurelia’s Belle (Wayne Catalano/Channing Hill) 50-1
9. Unbridled Forever (Dallas Stewart/Robby Albarado) 12-1
10. Empress of Midway (Doug O'Neill/Corey Nakatani) 50-1
11. My Miss Sophia (Todd Pletcher/Javier Castellano) 8-1
12. Got Lucky (Todd Pletcher/John Velazquez) 20-1
13. Untapable (Steve Asmussen/Rosie Napravnik) 4-5

Last edited by Kasept : 04-29-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Goodwood

Looks like a spectacular card. Hats off to the racing secretary for hustling, in particular the Alysheba, I figured with the heavy hitters Normandy Invasion and Will Take Charge pointing there the field would be really short. Those guys don't get enough credit for what is a REALLY tough job.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
Looks like a spectacular card. Hats off to the racing secretary for hustling, in particular the Alysheba, I figured with the heavy hitters Normandy Invasion and Will Take Charge pointing there the field would be really short. Those guys don't get enough credit for what is a REALLY tough job.
Why the jockey change on Will Take Charge?
Agree great card. Im excited to bet against Shes a Tiger.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
maybe the ride/inquiry last out?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Grening said that Lukas was looking for someone with more experience and that Gary and him have had "a lot of luck together."
Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Grening said that Lukas was looking for someone with more experience and that Gary and him have had "a lot of luck together."
they sure have, and was the first thing i thought about. and with rough ride last time, it was the right time to move. and i think it's a better jock.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Flemington

At this point is Stevens definitely better then Saez? I think its very close.
Plus they won a bunch of huge races with Saez and I guess the ride was questionable last time, but they still won and did not get DQ.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Goodwood

I love it when the second choice has absolutely no shot.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
I love it when the second choice has absolutely no shot.
I agree, shes just not good enough. Even if she was loan speed I don't think she would have much of a chance.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Turf Paradise

I get that she's up against it from a pace standpoint but I think My Miss Sophia can absolutely beat Untapable Friday. I was all over Untapable in her return at Fair Grounds and am therefore a big admirer..I said before the race I thought she would stamp herself as the Oaks favorite...that said, My Miss Sophia beat Got Lucky every bit as decisively as Untapable. I know that the pace advantage she had in that race was unreal but sometimes I think as handicappers we see that and overthink it. No, My Miss Sophia was not going to be challenged on the lead in her last..but to assume that she wouldn't have been every bit as impressive if she did face some more pace presence I think is a bit presumptive.

I'm not saying I think Untapable will lose. I think she is a very deserving favorite and the most likely winner...but My Miss Sophia "no chance" talk I think is crazy. And given their posts I don't think it is that impossible that a couple others (Ria Antonia, Thank You Marylou and Unbridled Forever IMO) will be in with a shot.

Nice card -- sure feels like Will Take Charge and Normany Invasion (in particular) could get beat. Appealing Tale, at first glance, might prove tough to reel in.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I agree, shes just not good enough. Even if she was loan speed I don't think she would have much of a chance.
what if she bought it outright instead?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
what if she bought it outright instead?
Her speed is on layaway.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguarantee View Post
I get that she's up against it from a pace standpoint but I think My Miss Sophia can absolutely beat Untapable Friday. I was all over Untapable in her return at Fair Grounds and am therefore a big admirer..I said before the race I thought she would stamp herself as the Oaks favorite...that said, My Miss Sophia beat Got Lucky every bit as decisively as Untapable. I know that the pace advantage she had in that race was unreal but sometimes I think as handicappers we see that and overthink it. No, My Miss Sophia was not going to be challenged on the lead in her last..but to assume that she wouldn't have been every bit as impressive if she did face some more pace presence I think is a bit presumptive.

I'm not saying I think Untapable will lose. I think she is a very deserving favorite and the most likely winner...but My Miss Sophia "no chance" talk I think is crazy. And given their posts I don't think it is that impossible that a couple others (Ria Antonia, Thank You Marylou and Unbridled Forever IMO) will be in with a shot.

Nice card -- sure feels like Will Take Charge and Normany Invasion (in particular) could get beat. Appealing Tale, at first glance, might prove tough to reel in.
I think they were taking about Fashion Plate (6-1), not My Miss Sophia ( 8-1)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush View Post
I think they were taking about Fashion Plate (6-1), not My Miss Sophia ( 8-1)
I was talking about Fashion PLate. I think Sophia has a huge shot.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Turf Paradise

^That makes more sense. Does anyone actually believe she will be second choice though?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
^That makes more sense. Does anyone actually believe she will be second choice though?
She might be. 2 grade 1 wins and her jockey is always bet.
Here are my Oaks thoughts from a few days ago. The draw changed nothing.

Untapable—X. Clearly the horse to beat, but I’ll try to beat her. She’s going to be 7-5 or lower vs a big field. She will be singled on 80% of the 2 day pick 3 tickets, that’s all Im looking to play Friday. If she wins I’ll be back for Saturday, if she gets beat I should be setup on some solid tickets.
Sugar Shock—X. Seems like one of many potential speeds, seems a bit slow to me. She might also have distance limitations as she lugged out badly 2 back.
Fashion Place—X. Another speed horse, she has gotten away with murder 2 starts in a row. Even if she was the loan speed I would not cover. Nothing wrong w/ a dual G1 winner, but she is not for me.
My Miss Sophia—A. Potential superstar. Has to improve to beat the top horse, but they all do. She feels like the 1 filly who can beat Untapable even if Untapable runs her good race.
Rosalind—B. I think she is clearly a better synthetic horse. She got a wicked pace in the BC Juvy Fillies, she should have blown by the leaders and kinda just plugged along. I don’t love her, but I think she gets the same pace again, and she’s doing well right now off of the big Keeneland dead heat. I think she was clearly best in that dead heat as Joel moved her early.
Got Lucky—A. On paper she’s not good enough. I get it, but I see excuses in her last 2. Both races were pace less, both races she appears to be getting scrubbed on early, both races she comes running a little for second. On paper the Oaks fast should be quick and she can be a player late. She’s like Rosalind w/ more upside.
Aurelias Belle—X. Consistent runner, another who is better on synthetics. Her dirt races are simply not good enough. If she was going 1st time dirt I would give her a look at 20-1, but she’s already proven to be just mediocre on dirt.
Ria Antonia—X. The worst BC Juvy Fillies winner ever, actually ran well last time out chasing an easy leader. Shes just not that good, even the GOAT cant get her home in this race.
Kiss Moon—X. Only 1 bad career race, but just seems overmatched to me. Working well, if I played in race exotics I would use her underneath.
Fiftyshadesofgold—X. Another speed horse. She would be much better off in the 8 Belles earlier on the card. I would give her a long look in that race on the cutback against the defending 2yr old filly champ.
Unbridled Forever—B. Not a fan of her trainer, but a huge fan of this filly. Her mom won this race at a huge price, not that that matters. Should sit a perfect trip as an overlay, everyone but the top 2 will be overlays in this race.
Thank You Marylou—X. Her trainer comes off a horrible Keeneland meet. She looks like a closing sprinter to me. Like We Miss Artie on Saturday I don’t think she belongs in this race, but is in because of her trainer and owner.
Empress Of Midway—X. She could be very talented, but this is asking a lot to soon. She is also another 1 who will be up on the pace.

A’s----- My Miss Sophia and Got Lucky
B’s----- Rosalind and Unbridled Forever
X's----- Everyone else
Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Flemington

Quote:

Im looking at the Alysheba now. Between the 1 and 9 I think there is enough speed to not let Appealing Tale steal the race.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Kiss Moon for me, but mainly as a price to fill out the exacta. I just don't think anyone beats Untapable.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
Kiss Moon for me, but mainly as a price to fill out the exacta. I just don't think anyone beats Untapable.
you're probably right, but I'm using Kiss Moon on top in some Oaks/Derby doubles.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
I think My Miss Sophia will end up being 2nd choice in the end, but yes I was referring to Fashion Plate based on the ML.