Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Flemington

Will Saturdays card be out today? I can't play at all Friday, want to get a start on Saturday.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
You forgot the paving over of Hirsch Jacobs in favor Chick Lang.
Totally forgot Hirsch Jacobs! I'm shocked the Gallorette and the Very One haven't been renamed the Precious Kitten and the Gilded Gold, respectively. Surely that is to happen the next time MJC either runs into more financial trouble or someone remotely related to Maryland racing passes (not to dismiss the fine work Chick Lang did in Maryland in his day).
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Will Saturdays card be out today? I can't play at all Friday, want to get a start on Saturday.
I know they are not drawing the Preakness till 6:00 Wednesday, not sure about the rest of the card.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Full card not available until Wednesday night............Preakness draw at 6:00PM Eastern.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

12th (5:51) Pimlico Special S. (G3)
7 Mission Impazible Castellano J J 118
8 Yawanna Twist Luzzi M J 118
I've narrowed it down to these two...

Even though I'm a big fan of Mission Impazible I think I'm going with Yawanna Twist here.

Sorry if it's in bad taste to think that Alternation doesn't win but hey... I don't think Frankel wins this weekend either (Excelebration ). Bad weekend for the second coming types... I think so anyway.

Good luck, come home safe, blah blah blah.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
I've narrowed it down to these two...

Even though I'm a big fan of Mission Impazible I think I'm going with Yawanna Twist here.
I loved and bet Yawanna Twist in his last start, would love to play him again but I thought he looked a little spent at the finish of that race. I don't think this distance will help him. Maybe me getting off him for this will help you
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Dancer View Post
I loved and bet Yawanna Twist in his last start, would love to play him again but I thought he looked a little spent at the finish of that race. I don't think this distance will help him. Maybe me getting off him for this will help you

I apprecaite that am am sure it could work both ways so have fun collecting the winnings from Mission Impazible...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Golden Gate

I admit I bet her, but was that not a brutal trip for Disposablepleasure? Castellano had to grab her going into the first turn and then the stretch run wasn't exactly smooth for her.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiznowthegreat View Post
I admit I bet her, but was that not a brutal trip for Disposablepleasure? Castellano had to grab her going into the first turn and then the stretch run wasn't exactly smooth for her.
Hard to call it a terrible trip really. She steadied slightly going into the first turn but had a good trip after and was lugging in in the stretch. If she wasnt lugging in she would have been able to go through the hole at the top of the stretch before Bafferts horse angled to the rail.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Thought Endorsement had a shot until the last 100 yards. Dangit.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM

Have a sneaky feeling that Alternation might end up in the convo for horse of the year come the end of the season.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Here's my column for the Preakness if anyone is interested.

http://www.goerie.com/article/201205...r-in-Preakness

My selections:

1st: Bodemeister
2nd: Daddy Knows Best
3rd: I'll Have Another
4th: Creative Cause
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Here's my column for the Preakness if anyone is interested.

http://www.goerie.com/article/201205...r-in-Preakness

My selections:

1st: Bodemeister
2nd: Daddy Knows Best
3rd: I'll Have Another
4th: Creative Cause
Enjoyed the article. I like how you weaved anecdotes into the article and placed the 2012 Derby in an historical context. Very well done.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth View Post
Enjoyed the article. I like how you weaved anecdotes into the article and placed the 2012 Derby in an historical context. Very well done.
Thanks.

Easy Goer and Sunday Silence are unquestionably two of the top ten horses to race during my entire lifetime.

I still remember the opening segment to the 1989 Belmont Stakes narrated by Jim McKay. It went something sort of like this ...

Quote:
He's the horse they wouldn't believe. He's the horse they wouldn't buy. He's the horse who wouldn't give up. He's Sunday Silence.

The horse with the quiet name. In the San Felipe, he went to his knees at the start and came on to win the race. But still, they wouldn't believe.

In the Santa Anita Derby he won by 11 lengths, and still, they would not believe. So he went to Kentucky and beat the favorite Easy Goer. His old trainer winked and said "we will win the Triple Crown" -- and would you believe, STILL, they would not believe!

It was on to the Preakness at Baltimore and Easy Goer again the favorite and Sunday Silence again victorious in a race that none who saw it will ever forget.

Now it's the Belmont and a shot at the Triple Crown. They say things will be different this time. The distance is a mile and a half. It's in New York, the place where Easy Goer lives and where he registered all of his great wins as a 2-year-old.

Will today finally be the day for Easy Goer, or will it just be a great Sunday Silence!
Sunday Silence really did have that magical 'beat the odds' element to him.

I'll Have Another certainly does to -- albeit to a less dramatic extent. He's never been the favorite in a race -- he also sold cheaply twice at auction (Sunday Silence RNA'd at a 2yo sale when his bidding price failed to reach 50K)

Bodemeister is an extremely exciting horse ... especially for a 3-year-old finding form at the right time.

I don't think I'll ever see a horse again who is Easy Goer type exciting. He was like the perfect horse from his breeding, to his performances and figures, to his visual qualities and the way he would finish through the stretch. I believe he ran the 3rd worst speed figure of his entire life in the Kentucky Derby -- and still finished 2nd.

If you draw a line through his career debut, and his two races over a muddy Churchill Downs track, he always fired incredibly sensational races and was such a great performer. He swept the three races at age 3 that Secreatariat failed to win -- Wood Memorial, Whitney Handicap, and Woodward -- he shaved a full second off of Big Red's Gotham Stakes record time, he ran the 2nd fastest Belmont in history behind only Big Red, and he also won the Travers in sensational time. Sunday Silence was the only horse to beat him in a very tough 3yo campaign that saw him dance every dance.

If Bodemeister doesn't win ... I hope he at least runs his race and I'll Have Another finds something that I really don't think he has to beat him. He wouldn't be the first Derby winner to jump up and pop an unexpected great performance in the Preakness ... Smarty Jones, Funny Cide, and Charismatic all did recently. I even think War Emblem's Preakness win was a better performance than his Derby win.

Anyway -- if Bodemeister fires and doesn't crush this field as I expect -- it would be nice to see this budding rivalry countinue all season. Even if they don't deserve to be compared with Easy Goer and Sunday Silence ... Bodemeister has ton of raw talent, excitement, and great pedigree like EG did. And I'll Have Another has that underdog angle like SS always did.

Sunday Silence, of course, wasn't the favorite in the San Felipe. Wasn't the favorite in the SA Derby. Wasn't the favorite in the Ky Derby. Wasn't the favorite in the Preakness. Wasn't the favorite in the Breeders Cup Classic ... and he won them all.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Thanks.

Easy Goer and Sunday Silence are unquestionably two of the top ten horses to race during my entire lifetime.

I still remember the opening segment to the 1989 Belmont Stakes narrated by Jim McKay. It went something sort of like this ...

Sunday Silence really did have that magical 'beat the odds' element to him.

I'll Have Another certainly does to -- albeit to a less dramatic extent. He's never been the favorite in a race -- he also sold cheaply twice at auction (Sunday Silence RNA'd at a 2yo sale when his bidding price failed to reach 50K)

Bodemeister is an extremely exciting horse ... especially for a 3-year-old finding form at the right time.

I don't think I'll ever see a horse again who is Easy Goer type exciting. He was like the perfect horse from his breeding, to his performances and figures, to his visual qualities and the way he would finish through the stretch. I believe he ran the 3rd worst speed figure of his entire life in the Kentucky Derby -- and still finished 2nd.

If you draw a line through his career debut, and his two races over a muddy Churchill Downs track, he always fired incredibly sensational races and was such a great performer. He swept the three races at age 3 that Secreatariat failed to win -- Wood Memorial, Whitney Handicap, and Woodward -- he shaved a full second off of Big Red's Gotham Stakes record time, he ran the 2nd fastest Belmont in history behind only Big Red, and he also won the Travers in sensational time. Sunday Silence was the only horse to beat him in a very tough 3yo campaign that saw him dance every dance.

If Bodemeister doesn't win ... I hope he at least runs his race and I'll Have Another finds something that I really don't think he has to beat him. He wouldn't be the first Derby winner to jump up and pop an unexpected great performance in the Preakness ... Smarty Jones, Funny Cide, and Charismatic all did recently. I even think War Emblem's Preakness win was a better performance than his Derby win.

Anyway -- if Bodemeister fires and doesn't crush this field as I expect -- it would be nice to see this budding rivalry countinue all season. Even if they don't deserve to be compared with Easy Goer and Sunday Silence ... Bodemeister has ton of raw talent, excitement, and great pedigree like EG did. And I'll Have Another has that underdog angle like SS always did.

Sunday Silence, of course, wasn't the favorite in the San Felipe. Wasn't the favorite in the SA Derby. Wasn't the favorite in the Ky Derby. Wasn't the favorite in the Preakness. Wasn't the favorite in the Breeders Cup Classic ... and he won them all.
If I remember that segment correctly, the music accompanying the Preakness highlights was from U2's Where The Streets Have No Name.

The connections of Sunday Silence and Easy Goer offered interesting contrasts. You had the Hancock's black sheep and the cool Bald Eagle pitted against Eastern racing royalty and the fiery southerner McGaughey. There was also a bit of bad blood between Arthur Hancock and Ogden Phipps stretching back to when Seth Hancock was chosen to take over the reins of Claiborne. Hancock said in an interview after the Derby that his dream was to run Claiborne and Phipps' dream was to win the Derby, so Phipps had killed his dream and he had killed the Phipps's dream.

I have a soft sport for fleet routers like Bodemeister who head to the front and dare you to catch them. It will be interesting to see the cat-and-mouse game tomorrow between Guiterrez and Rosario as to who will engage Bodemeister first.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I remember that segment correctly, the music accompanying the Preakness highlights was from U2's Where The Streets Have No Name.
Yep. I'm pretty sure you're right.

Quote:
I have a soft sport for fleet routers like Bodemeister who head to the front and dare you to catch them. It will be interesting to see the cat-and-mouse game tomorrow between Guiterrez and Rosario as to who will engage Bodemeister first.
If any of them are going to try and apply any real pressure to Bodemeister -- I wish I knew ahead of time so I could confidently pitch them from atleast the exacta.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I basically got exactly what I had "hoped" for.

And now I'm close to about two thousand dollars lighter because of it.

Even after betting Bode to win and Bode over IHA, DNB, and CC in exotics on my accounts, I came back and fired in another $800 win bet on Bode at the track today.

I got to see a great race and looked live for a nice score on the turn ... but I'm taking the tail and putting it between my legs and not going to be around to post for a day or two.

Basically, blessing you guys with my absence as I catch up on some figure and handicapping stuff I've got behind on.

If you don't take the attitude 'I was wrong, but I'll bounce right back' you can really go on tilt...especially after losing on such a short price in such a close race. Not letting things snowball when you get humbled by the game is really as important as anything else -- at least for me.

A big ego and high emotion are a tremendous edge -- until a tough result or bad break inevitably comes along to tilt your handicapping and betting if you let it.

Even with the track the way it was -- where they humanly made sure not to giftwrap anything for Bodemeister -- I still didn't believe he could possibly lose without anything short of I'll Have Another not taking the bait to engage him -- and pulling a Smarty Jones and Funny Cide type Preakness improve.

Great horse race. It took the gleam out of my eye for a few hours here, but it was a good one.