Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Performing isn't terrible even though she's not overly classy - she won by 4 1/2 next out and then won one of the races on the big carryover day. . . but I agree - Desert Sage hasn't beaten much. I have a hard time tying her to the fields she ran against, though, because she beat them so easily and while coming home extremely quickly with less-than-advantageous set-ups. I refuse to swallow 4-5 on the very overrated Shared Account--even though she still towers over these on paper--and think there's enough of a chance that Desert Sage is as good as she looked to me visually to key her hard against the chalk. I guess I still have to use Shared Account, though. These races kind of suck compared to Churchill's Derby Day card. . .
I don't disagree that taking a short price on Shared Account is difficult. She's not as good as BC Turf Distaff should suggest. But she's still pretty good, and basically every race she ran last year towers over this field. Given the quality of this field, it seems a mistake to go fishing for horses that are simply very unlikely to beat her. All she has, theoretically, against her is the layoff. However, she ran well in this race last year off a layoff. Well enough, in fact, to easily handle this field.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I like Dialed In to beat Midnight Interlude.
So do I.

Who do you think is going to win the race, though?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
So do I.

Who do you think is going to win the race, though?
LOL. I like Dialed In to win the race. I'm not sold on Animal Kingdom. I still think it's an inconsistent crop and they take turns beating each other. I think the pace will be more legitimate this time and if AK is up anywhere near where he was last time, it will take away a lot of his stretch kick and the race looks to set up well for a closer and in absence of any real ones, Dialed In is the one I chose.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Obviously Paddy is the horse to beat in the Dixie, but if he missteps off the break, I think Baryshnikov has a big shot.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Keeneland

Quite an undercard for the Preakness...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Performing isn't terrible even though she's not overly classy - she won by 4 1/2 next out and then won one of the races on the big carryover day. . . but I agree - Desert Sage hasn't beaten much. I have a hard time tying her to the fields she ran against, though, because she beat them so easily and while coming home extremely quickly with less-than-advantageous set-ups. I refuse to swallow 4-5 on the very overrated Shared Account--even though she still towers over these on paper--and think there's enough of a chance that Desert Sage is as good as she looked to me visually to key her hard against the chalk. I guess I still have to use Shared Account, though. These races kind of suck compared to Churchill's Derby Day card. . .
I don't really understand why you think Desert Sage has any chance to win here. She was an absolute pig in Europe, gets the Chad Brown magic juice, and suddenly is a world beater?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Quite an undercard for the Preakness...
Yeah, it's pretty mediocre. I'm disappointed, not a whole lot of good betting races.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Keeneland

I don't think it's that crazy to try and beat Shared Account at what is going to be a really low price. It's not like she's some world beater and who's to say she's going to be the same horse she was last year, off the layoff?

I'm not going to go crazy trying to beat her, but I think No Explaining has a shot.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
I don't really understand why you think Desert Sage has any chance to win here. She was an absolute pig in Europe, gets the Chad Brown magic juice, and suddenly is a world beater?
She looks like a pretty obvious bleeder. . . not that I'm really concerned at all with her Euro form. Who cares if it was the Chad Brown juice (not that it is)? I was very impressed with her two starts at Gulfstream. . . I guess I'm the only person on the planet who was. That makes me happy. I'll still use some Shared Account and maybe a little No Explaining as a back-up.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
She looks like a pretty obvious bleeder. . . not that I'm really concerned at all with her Euro form. Who cares if it was the Chad Brown juice (not that it is)? I was very impressed with her two starts at Gulfstream. . . I guess I'm the only person on the planet who was. That makes me happy. I'll still use some Shared Account and maybe a little No Explaining as a back-up.
Please explain how you can tell if she is a bleeder from PP's
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
Please explain how you can tell if she is a bleeder from PP's
Like I said - her Euro form has nothing to do with my opinion of her. . . But, are we to assume that when she lost by 101 1/4 lengths in her four most recent starts that she was running to the best of her ability? She came to the U.S. and hmmm all of a sudden she's better while getting Lasix.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Like I said - her Euro form has nothing to do with my opinion of her. . . But, are we to assume that when she lost by 101 1/4 lengths in her four most recent starts that she was running to the best of her ability? She came to the U.S. and hmmm all of a sudden she's better while getting Lasix.
Dude, not knocking ya, but assuming she was a bleeder is not solid reasoning. Alot of horses bleed to different degrees.

How about she likes a firm course and maybe a cut back in distance.

I like her, No Explaining and Dyna Waltz equally. I like betting Sheppard's horses 2nd off the layoff and between May and September. Shared Account sucks, and far from good enough to give 10-12lbs away those fillies

Last edited by Scav : 05-19-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Del Mar

I don't need solid reasoning, because I'm not evaluating her based on that form. . . Phil's comment that she was a "pig in Europe" just seemed sort of irrelevant to me, so that's why I mentioned that she's probably a bleeder. Here's an interesting quote from her trainer when they decided to run her in the Irish Oaks: "It's raining over there, and that's good for her."
Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I don't need solid reasoning, because I'm not evaluating her based on that form. . . Phil's comment that she was a "pig in Europe" just seemed sort of irrelevant to me, so that's why I mentioned that she's probably a bleeder. Here's an interesting quote from her trainer when they decided to run her in the Irish Oaks: "It's raining over there, and that's good for her."
And trainers know EVERYTHING, and this filly then proceeds to get drilled on good-soft ground (Grade 1 though) and soft before they realized they need firmer ground.

I understand you tossing her euro form, but adding Lasix doesn't improve horses a billion lengths. Preferred ground and horses like Differentiate help.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Maybe she's a bleeder- I think that's a reasonable assumption, I thought the same thing. But the very relevant fact is her maiden win over there was in one of the worst meets in GB, and against "real" competition she was noncompetitive. Now that she's won a decent N1X and a mediocre N2X she's supposed to step up and beat the FMT champ in a race with no pace? And improve 4-5 lengths more in the process to do so? Seems like a tall task for a horse that will be 5-1. I just don't see the point of even betting this race. It's truly terrible.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
Dude, not knocking ya, but assuming she was a bleeder is not solid reasoning. Alot of horses bleed to different degrees.
Assuming she was a bleeder isn't solid reasoning? But assuming her improvement was due to a firm surface is?

What is the difference between the two?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
LOL. I like Dialed In to win the race. I'm not sold on Animal Kingdom. I still think it's an inconsistent crop and they take turns beating each other. I think the pace will be more legitimate this time and if AK is up anywhere near where he was last time, it will take away a lot of his stretch kick and the race looks to set up well for a closer and in absence of any real ones, Dialed In is the one I chose.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05...-favorite.html

Baffert said he thought Animal Kingdom was a star, and he's just hoping Midnight Interlude can run second. I'm sure Bob will talk about his feelings about going against AK tomorrow on ATR. I know Steve Haskin's been hanging out at Fair Hill a lot, but Bob's not seen AK training as far as I know. Maybe someone gave him the skinny on the competition (possibly Haskin?), who knows. As Barry Irwin said "trust no one"--wait that was The X-Files, but the point still holds. "The truth is out there"...that's gotta be Barry--no, crap, X-Files again.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Assuming she was a bleeder isn't solid reasoning? But assuming her improvement was due to a firm surface is?

What is the difference between the two?
As Phil noted, maybe she was a bleeder, she probably was, ALOT if not most horses bleed, and even some horses bleed through lasix.

I looked at it that she ran some decent races on a very firm turf course (nothing like she had ever seen over in Europe) and ran those races on a course that was very speed favoring.

I find that reasoning much more solid then Lasix moved the horse up. (And I know this wasn't his only reason but I don't understand the focus because Lasix is not some miracle drug)

Last edited by Scav : 05-20-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Today is five years to the day since Barbaro's Preakness breadown. Truly a day at the track I'll never forget.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Sunshine Park

Save your $$$ for the 13th race on Preakness day the 1 wire to wire on a good turf. The 12 post won't help though, but Edgar can get Leather Gloves out and over for Hammy Smith. I hope, that's my big bet for the day. Good luck to all.