Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup Verville View Post
Actually, I can. This is a race caller who is normally plain and vanilla, but became screechy and emotional during a race. That's how exciting the race was. This happens, regardless of how we spell his name.
You sure love you some Larry Callmiss, as the record states.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:14 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Durkin would've called the winner Itsagoodtendollars. And wished he had ten dollars on him.

I saw nothing wrong with Larry's call. Nothing.
To infer that Callmiss is better than Tom Durkin is probably the president of his fan club
Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
You sure love you some Larry Callmiss, as the record states.
Still not sure what your stance is. I like one caller, but think another may have been a little better, how is that a problem? Just an opinion, I may be wrong. Not trying to blow anyone's skirts up.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Still not sure what your stance is. I like one caller, but think another may have been a little better, how is that a problem? Just an opinion, I may be wrong. Not trying to blow anyone's skirts up.
No right or wrong answer, as it's your preference. I was just caught up on the fact that you said you love Larry but agreed with heli calling him Callmiss is all. No biggie. If Durkin was currently in the same ZIP CODE as him, heli's "argument" would hold weight. However, it doesnt. Pat Summerall was an excellent voice for Fox, but Aikman is light years better than him. Ten yrs ago, id agree that the old guys are better, but where we stand TODAY, it's not even close.

Fan club?? I laughed. Says the guy who greases Durkin's weasel before races.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
No right or wrong answer, as it's your preference. I was just caught up on the fact that you said you love Larry but agreed with heli calling him Callmiss is all. No biggie. If Durkin was currently in the same ZIP CODE as him, heli's "argument" would hold weight. However, it doesnt. Pat Summerall was an excellent voice for Fox, but Aikman is light years better than him. Ten yrs ago, id agree that the old guys are better, but where we stand TODAY, it's not even close.

To be honest, I didn't even notice that he had misspelled his name (blame the public school system!!!) If it was a shot at Larry, I didn't notice. I just think that some of the greatest calls that I have witnessed are from Tom. No more, no less. Really looking forward to the Belmont, I have cashed on IHA on every race since the Lewis.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
To be honest, I didn't even notice that he had misspelled his name (blame the public school system!!!) If it was a shot at Larry, I didn't notice. I just think that some of the greatest calls that I have witnessed are from Tom. No more, no less. Really looking forward to the Belmont, I have cashed on IHA on every race since the Lewis.
Fair enough. I, too, think Durkin was as good as they get. Summerall too.

And congrats on cashing! I made scruples today, took a bath on 5/5, and its safe to say tht if he wins the TC, my Belmont results will be even worse. Good for you for sticking with him, it paid off. That horse got no respect, imo, and earned alot of it back today with his stretch drive. Sure makes for an interesting day in Elmont!!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerv View Post
It's should be a big figure.
Preliminary Beyer Speed Figure of 109

Paul
Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Fair enough. I, too, think Durkin was as good as they get. Summerall too.

And congrats on cashing! I made scruples today, took a bath on 5/5, and its safe to say tht if he wins the TC, my Belmont results will be even worse. Good for you for sticking with him, it paid off. That horse got no respect, imo, and earned alot of it back today with his stretch drive. Sure makes for an interesting day in Elmont!!
I appreciate it. I am the epitome of the fan becoming a horseplayer and, after about 5 years of just watching races and never betting, I finally started putting my money on the races last year. This forum is invaluable for information. I appreciate everyone's opinion on here, good or bad. The last thing I want to do is have misunderstandings with people who know more than I do.

All I want to do is become good enough at handicapping that I can quit working..........what????
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

The point, I would imagine, is that there was never a better caller in big and dramatic races than Tom Durkin. Perhaps some would argue that he had more opportunities, but the guy never came short of capturing the big moments while maintaining his composure and delivering something that would make watching the replay years later even more exciting.

Whether the person who brought it up meant what I just said, that's my view on the whole thing.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The point, I would imagine, is that there was never a better caller in big and dramatic races than Tom Durkin. Perhaps some would argue that he had more opportunities, but the guy never came short of capturing the big moments while maintaining his composure and delivering something that would make watching the replay years later even more exciting.

Whether the person who brought it up meant what I just said, that's my view on the whole thing.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Ill play 2 pick 3's and 2 pick 4's ending with the Preakness. Bode will be heavily pressed and CC is my only backup. Now I just have to find a way to get live to that race. I would take a break till the Belmont if anyone but Bode or CC wins this race. Thats a no posting at all break. That includes the Derby winner also.
http://youtu.be/XjiOtouyBOg
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post

This is as good as it gets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT4S...eature=related
Made me realize this was the best sport out there.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
This is as good as it gets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydT4S...eature=related
Made me realize this was the best sport out there.
That race was amazing. I was 11-years-old and remember my parents were furious with me because I couldn't sleep in the hotel the night before.

The weather was a total bummer, but lots of awesome horses ran that day including Cara Rafaela, before she dropped Bernardini, Unbridled's Song, Inside Information, My Flag etc.