Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
Didn't you win a bet on the Galorette?
Yeah. Doesn't change the fact the racing was an embarrassment and the tents were worse.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Yeah. Doesn't change the fact the racing was an embarrassment and the tents were worse.
The card worked when trainers were willing to wheel-back in two weeks, but now Pimlico is left with nothing but the leftovers. Belmont, I think, has the best Triple Crown undercard, and they're in a better spot with 5 weeks off the CD races and a later time in the year for other horses to get going.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Those Tents remind me of being at a dog show.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
I don't think it's that crazy to try and beat Shared Account at what is going to be a really low price. It's not like she's some world beater and who's to say she's going to be the same horse she was last year, off the layoff?

I'm not going to go crazy trying to beat her, but I think No Explaining has a shot.
Thank You.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

What an awful, horrible race the Preakness was. I just need to get that off my chest.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
The card worked when trainers were willing to wheel-back in two weeks, but now Pimlico is left with nothing but the leftovers. Belmont, I think, has the best Triple Crown undercard, and they're in a better spot with 5 weeks off the CD races and a later time in the year for other horses to get going.
The purses are also a joke.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Welcome to Maryland racing.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
The purses are also a joke.
Doesn't matter though... if you put another $100k on each of those races, do the fields grow by that much?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Doesn't matter though... if you put another $100k on each of those races, do the fields grow by that much?
No. That being said what a waste of a grass course they have at Laurel.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
i don't think the top end needs attention, but the bottom end of the spectrum sure does! if the bread and butter daily fare were to get purse boosts, thus helping more folks to actually make a little more money to cover expenses, you might manage to entice more owners into the game. and that's what the sport needs. the super rich and rich can afford a high priced hobby, but many others cannot. help them get in, and stay in, and other wants will follow. more owners-trainers make more. fields grow. the number of fans would most likely increase with better betting opportunities-plus more owners means more friends and family in their wake.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i don't think the top end needs attention, but the bottom end of the spectrum sure does! if the bread and butter daily fare were to get purse boosts, thus helping more folks to actually make a little more money to cover expenses, you might manage to entice more owners into the game. and that's what the sport needs. the super rich and rich can afford a high priced hobby, but many others cannot. help them get in, and stay in, and other wants will follow. more owners-trainers make more. fields grow. the number of fans would most likely increase with better betting opportunities-plus more owners means more friends and family in their wake.
I think the "high percentage" trainer factor hurts this area of the industry. Unless you can get in with one of those, you will struggle. If you increase the purse, it mainly helps those same high-percentage types. I mean, if I go out here and give Danny Velasquez (or Sean whatever from HRTV) money to claim horses, my chances of competing are just not good.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Keeneland

I keep reading about what a poor ride Johnny V gave Animal Kingdom on other boards and blogs. What am I missing here?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I keep reading about what a poor ride Johnny V gave Animal Kingdom on other boards and blogs. What am I missing here?
Nothing. It's idiocy.

He finished second on the second best horse.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
It was obvious from the Kentucky Derby that Animal Kingdom can be positioned anywhere in a race and that his record of sitting 10th or further back at the first point of call in 4 out of 6 starts is purely rider decision.

He should have gone wire-to-wire to avoid the dirt in the face.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Ive been critical of JV at times but, I don't see how he could have rode him any better.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK View Post
Ive been critical of JV at times but, I don't see how he could have rode him any better.
Agreed. He rode him well in both races.

Rollo is exaggerating, but that is basically the sentiment of some people. Calling for him to never ride the horse again. If only these people bet.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Oaklawn

Not that I gamble based on gallop-outs, but Shackleford won the gallop-out... he was simply he best horse this past weekend. Johnny V did nothing wrong... in fact, he rode the race pretty well.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Goodwood

Hell, down the backside, I wasn't sure AK was going to even fire.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
I think the "high percentage" trainer factor hurts this area of the industry. Unless you can get in with one of those, you will struggle. If you increase the purse, it mainly helps those same high-percentage types. I mean, if I go out here and give Danny Velasquez (or Sean whatever from HRTV) money to claim horses, my chances of competing are just not good.
I agree completely and it applies to all circuits/venues. It also makes betting harder. Do you dare take a shot against a 38% trainer when he's also over 30% with all applicable categories or bet him in P3's or 4's hoping you are right in the other legs as well? Do you pass? I sometimes do and I imagine others do and tracks wonder why handle is down.

It must be hard to be an owner when you can't pay JC Guerrero (mid Atl) or the Englehart (Finger Lakes) or Jamie Ness others of their ilk. How often do you have to watch their horse's tails before to get out.