Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default New Yorker article- Trial By Fire

The New Yorker is making all of its stories from 2007 to the present available for free for a few months. I highly, highly recommend this one:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20.../trial-by-fire

Whatever one's feelings on the death penalty are, this article really makes it clear that often, state governments are not out for justice; they are out for convictions.

It's a really gripping read.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Santa Anita

Powerful stuff, indeed. When taken into account, stories such as this one -- as well as all those people whose convictions have been overturned by DNA evidence -- convinced me a few years ago that as long as there is the possibility of human fallibility I am in the anti camp.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Powerful stuff, indeed. When taken into account, stories such as this one -- as well as all those people whose convictions have been overturned by DNA evidence -- convinced me a few years ago that as long as there is the possibility of human fallibility I am in the anti camp.
Add in the fact that law enforcement and District Attorneys get promoted for Solving Crimes and Getting convictions and it is down right scary.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
I feel you, as the young kids say. While I believe there are certain criminals that it's better for society if they are shuffled off this mortal coil, it has become very clear to me that a state cannot be trusted to use the death penalty with the care needed to administer it judiciously. So, I too, moved into the anti- camp a few years ago. As jms62 said, law enforcement get promoted based on conviction rates. That puts them in direct conflict with seeing justice served.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
I feel you, as the young kids say. While I believe there are certain criminals that it's better for society if they are shuffled off this mortal coil, it has become very clear to me that a state cannot be trusted to use the death penalty with the care needed to administer it judiciously. So, I too, moved into the anti- camp a few years ago. As jms62 said, law enforcement get promoted based on conviction rates. That puts them in direct conflict with seeing justice served.
there are just too many stories involving cops who just know they have the 'right guy', and they only provide things that will help make the case, while getting rid of or not collecting evidence that would help show they don't have the right guy.
the recent release in louisiana-they had a false 'confession'!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/da...d-by-dna-tests