Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Triple Crown Trip

East Boston will be well represented at the Belmont. a couple of questions. We used to go to CT and take the ferry across to go to shows at Jones Beach. How far and how easy is Belmont from there ? Does the LIRailroad go from that area to Belmont ? Would that be an option or is it easier just to drive to the track. That night there is Boxing at the garden. It's a long day, but is that doable ? how long to get to the city after the race ? thanks if anyone can help out a mook tryin to getalong in the world.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Ocala Mike

Default Triple Crown Trip

I'm an old Long Islander, now living in Florida. As I recall, the ferry from CT docks at Port Jefferson. Although the LIRR has service from there, there is nothing direct to Belmont Park, which is served only from NYC, Brooklyn, and Jamaica. Take it from me, you will undoubtedly be better off driving in, unless you could arrange a rental car at Port Jefferson off the ferry.

As far as getting to the city after the races, yes, it's doable. Again, you'd be better off at least starting out by car, then maybe parking near a subway stop or LIRR stop in Queens to complete your trip into the city that way. Watch what neighborhood you choose to park at, however. I wouldn't recommend driving all the way into Manhattan.