Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Saratoga

Default Seahawks passing was a brillant play

Our last Super Bowl prop Yes/No will someone blast me without reading what I am actually going to post.

100 Million people expected Seahawks to ram it up the gut with Lynch. A perfect time to call a pass HOWEVER the actual play called may have been one of the worst in the history of sports. To a have a 5'9" (5'11" ) QB trying to jam it into traffic couldn't have been a worse play.

Seahawks run play action and Wilson rolls and in all likelihood he finds a receiver open by 5 or more yards, if not he can run or chuck it away. To throw it into that traffic jam where it could be batted down at the line or tipped and picked or just plain picked by one of the 11 Patriot bodies right there defending will go down as the worst play call in the history of the NFL...
Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Lincoln Fields

Agree. The only place to pass the ball there is to the back of the end zone by the pylon, or try to roll out to the right and look for a breakdown. Pats were in Goal Line d with three corners. Revis said that he almost came off the field for the play, but the coaches noticed the personnel that the Seahawks had on the field and they sent him back in.

So the Pats sensed it was coming (per Revis).

O
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Our last Super Bowl prop Yes/No will someone blast me without reading what I am actually going to post.

100 Million people expected Seahawks to ram it up the gut with Lynch. A perfect time to call a pass HOWEVER the actual play called may have been one of the worst in the history of sports. To a have a 5'9" (5'11" ) QB trying to jam it into traffic couldn't have been a worse play.

Seahawks run play action and Wilson rolls and in all likelihood he finds a receiver open by 5 or more yards, if not he can run or chuck it away. To throw it into that traffic jam where it could be batted down at the line or tipped and picked or just plain picked by one of the 11 Patriot bodies right there defending will go down as the worst play call in the history of the NFL...
yeah, they said it was to kill time...but that can't be the case. he catches, it's a td. he drops it, it stops the clock. hello.
calling a pass play wasn't a bad idea. russell wilson trying to force that throw was.
so glad the pats won. great finish. hell, sea shouldn't have been that close to scoring except for a crazy catch!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Belmont Park

Creepiest Superbowl commercial evah:

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Creepiest Superbowl commercial evah:

The Dodge one was GREAT imo
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post

I agree. It was fine to throw the ball. It was only 2nd down. If they don't score, there is still time for 2 running plays. They still had one time out left. Throwing the ball was fine, but it should have been a play action pass and only thrown if someone was wide open. If not, throw it away and then run the ball twice. That way you have 3 chances to score. If you run it the first 2 times and don't get in, then there would be no 3rd chance because they only had one time out left and the clock would have run out.

As you said, throwing the ball wasn't the big mistake. Throwing the ball into a crowd was the mistake.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I agree. It was fine to throw the ball. It was only 2nd down. If they don't score, there is still time for 2 running plays. They still had one time out left. Throwing the ball was fine, but it should have been a play action pass and only thrown if someone was wide open. If not, throw it away and then run the ball twice. That way you have 3 chances to score. If you run it the first 2 times and don't get in, then there would be no 3rd chance because they only had one time out left and the clock would have run out.

As you said, throwing the ball wasn't the big mistake. Throwing the ball into a crowd was the mistake.
Actually they could run three times....if stopped on 2nd down, they could quickly run 3rd down and then take final time out if needed for 4th down. Anyway, if I have "beast mode", he gets the ball...period. If it got to 4th down, I could see Wilson rolling out with a pass option.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Havre de Grace

Default EGO

Pete Carrol's ego at work. He didn't want Lynch to get the glory. Such a petty little man,
Great play by Butler to see Kearse was still alive, and get him out of bounds.
On first down 3 patriots made outstanding plays to keep the beast out of the endzone. On second down....OMG. and Lynch was wide open too. When Wilson called that play in the huddle, they must have lookin at each other like WTF ? This is when Lynch should have took a page out of Hoosiers and said I'll make it. just gimme the rock.

Good wins over evil again. Great Job Champs !
Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Randwyck

Lynch should had reminded Bevell what happened last year when inside the one yard line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B83NhgjCYAAzQBc.jpg (41.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Crown@club : 02-03-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Pete Carrol's ego at work. He didn't want Lynch to get the glory. Such a petty little man,
On first down 3 patriots made outstanding plays to keep the beast out of the endzone. On second down....OMG. and Lynch was wide open too. When Wilson called that play in the huddle, they must have lookin at each other like WTF ? This is when Lynch should have took a page out of Hoosiers and said I'll make it. just gimme the rock.

You honestly think that Carroll called that play to prohibit Lynch from 'glory'? Pretty warped way of thinking.

The crazy part of this all is that if Belicheck calls that timeout (a move that 90% of viewers were calling for), then SEA would have had more time to think things through and plan out all 3 plays. Needless to say the outcome most likely would have been different.

Maybe Lynch should have taken the marbles out of his mouth long enough to demand the rock, kinda like how Ohio State's running back kept motioning "FEED ME" during the national championship.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
Actually they could run three times....if stopped on 2nd down, they could quickly run 3rd down and then take final time out if needed for 4th down. Anyway, if I have "beast mode", he gets the ball...period. If it got to 4th down, I could see Wilson rolling out with a pass option.
There was only 26 seconds left. If they run and get stopped, the play takes at least 5 seconds. There is no chance they could have gotten another play off without taking a time out. It takes time to get both teams lined up on the line. Even if they could have gotten another play off, it would have been with 1 or 2 seconds left and then the game would have been over.

If they run on 2nd down, they have to call time out. They could have still gotten 3 plays off if they would have then thrown on 3rd down.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post

Carrol wasn't even the guy who called the play. The offensive coordinator called the play. Is it possible that the reason the offensive coordinator didn't want to give the ball to Lynch was because he didn't want Lynch to get the glory? Sure it is possible, but I think it is pretty doubtful. We will never know for sure because there is no way to get into the guy's head. But the guy is one of the best offensive coordinators in the league. I don't think he got to where he is by being spiteful with his play calls.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
There was only 26 seconds left. If they run and get stopped, the play takes at least 5 seconds. There is no chance they could have gotten another play off without taking a time out. It takes time to get both teams lined up on the line. Even if they could have gotten another play off, it would have been with 1 or 2 seconds left and then the game would have been over.

If they run on 2nd down, they have to call time out. They could have still gotten 3 plays off if they would have then thrown on 3rd down.
If they run on second down they score. Patriots could have had 20 men on defense they weren't going to stop Lynch that close. There is no excuse on that play call. Only thing I can think of is RHT bet on Seattle.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
If they run on second down they score. Patriots could have had 20 men on defense they weren't going to stop Lynch that close. There is no excuse on that play call. Only thing I can think of is RHT bet on Seattle.
That was how my whole day went Sunday......mushed and more mushed
Old 02-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Saratoga

Interesting read indicating a run by Lynch wasnt an automatic TD.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...awks-play-call
Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Belmont Park

Old 02-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Did you read the article that JMS linked to? The stats show that Lynch only scores from the 1 yard line at a 42% clip. So there was less than a 50/50 chance of him scoring on that one play. If you give him the ball twice, then your odds double.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Havre de Grace

Lightbulb

except for one thing....this was for the Super Bowl win. We might have stopped him for a 3 yard loss a la Willie McGinest vs Colts in Indy, but i don't think anything would have kept him out of the end zone personally.

Carrol called the play.you have one yard to go for back to back super bowls and you're letting the OC call the play? No WAY . The DC is gone for Atlanta after the game . He called it cuz He knows Wilson will be around long after Lynch is gone. He wanted to give the kid the win, and look like a genius. He coached up here and was all about Pete Carrol. Just like at USC...him and harbaugh even fixed a couple back then
Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Jerome Park

http://nesn.com/2015/02/field-level-...amazing-video/