Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I don't think Tiger mean't it in a way of demeaning Cabrera's win yesterday, if anyone else said that, it wouldn't even make press. He wins on one leg last year and I know people were saying he was embellishing his injury until they found out the next day he was out for the rest of the year. He's always under a microscope and for what he has to deal with I think he's doing pretty well for himself. What I do know about him is he is far more respected by his peers than Phil is. A guy I work with knows someone who's in the lockeroom on tour and they have said as much. I don't think it's an untruth to say if Tiger is on his A game, it would take a hell of rd x 4 to beat him. The band aid comment is probably true, Phil was outdriving him on almost every hole, he's been out for almost a year, it was his short game and will/heart/smarts that got him to -8, even if you are not a fan of his, you have to respect what he did yesterday.

phil outdriving him means absolutley nothing , he reached all the par 5's in 2 mostly with irons

i just think that while the tournament is on cbs doesn't have to show tiger telling america that he didn't win because his swing was off this week , it ain't right for the guys still out there fighting to win
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Flemington

I've heard that the other guys on tour call Phil "Fig Jam"
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
phil outdriving him means absolutley nothing , he reached all the par 5's in 2 mostly with irons

i just think that while the tournament is on cbs doesn't have to show tiger telling america that he didn't win because his swing was off this week , it ain't right for the guys still out there fighting to win
I guess he could have said I didn't really have it this week, which basically is saying I don't have my A game. I understand where you are coming from but I don't see how his comment was disrespectful in any way.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse
I've heard that the other guys on tour call Phil "Fig Jam"
Incase posters are wondering, in layman's terms 'f@ck I'm gorgeous just ask me'.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
he should like bethpage , setup for his draw nice, he probably won't play the british
not sure i agree, you need to be able to shape every shot differently on that course both off the tee and to hold the greens in the ideal position. doesn't really favor someone who shapes it one way or another. i've played it literally over a hundred times.

1st hole: fade tee, straight 2nd
2nd hole: draw tee, straight 2nd
3rd hole: draw
4th hole: draw tee, fade 2nd, pitch
5th hole: fade tee, draw 2nd
6th hole: straight, straight
7th hole: big fade tee, straight
8th hole: straight/fade
9th hole: big draw tee, straight
10th hole: straight tee, draw 2nd
11th hole: fade tee, straight 2nd
12th hole: high draw tee, straight 2nd
13th hole: high huge fade tee, straight 2nd (if they can reach in 2)
14th hole: used to be better to hit a fade but they reshaped the green, prob better to hit a high draw now
15th hole: straight, sky high draw
16th hole: fade, fade
17th hole: depends on the pin
18th hole: straight, straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Incase posters are wondering, in layman's terms 'f@ck I'm gorgeous just ask me'.
i didn't know what that meant. i like it
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
In his case I think the third word is good.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse
In his case I think the third word is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
not sure i agree, you need to be able to shape every shot differently on that course both off the tee and to hold the greens in the ideal position. doesn't really favor someone who shapes it one way or another. i've played it literally over a hundred times.

There are differing versions I have heard for the third word:
"great", "good"

But It's basically known on tour who FIGJAM is.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

1st hole: fade tee, straight 2nd
2nd hole: draw tee, straight 2nd
3rd hole: draw
4th hole: draw tee, fade 2nd, pitch
5th hole: fade tee, draw 2nd
6th hole: straight, straight
7th hole: big fade tee, straight
8th hole: straight/fade
9th hole: big draw tee, straight
10th hole: straight tee, draw 2nd
11th hole: fade tee, straight 2nd
12th hole: high draw tee, straight 2nd
13th hole: high huge fade tee, straight 2nd (if they can reach in 2)
14th hole: used to be better to hit a fade but they reshaped the green, prob better to hit a high draw now
15th hole: straight, sky high draw
16th hole: fade, fade
17th hole: depends on the pin
18th hole: straight, straight

i think you will agree that a long hitter will win at bethpaige - kenny is in the top 10 % of long hitter on tour

most of the holes he can hit his draw , on number #1 there is room to start your ball to the right and bring it back , i realize it's a fade hole , but , it's not like you can't play a draw there

the 5th hole will be the hardest hole for him , it might be the hardest par 4 in the world when the wind is blowing

he can make #13 a 3 shot par 5 - no issue there

11 and 16 allow the player to hit any shot off the tee , they are jsut long striaght holes

unless there have been a lot of changes since i have been on the course last , but i don't think there is much room to move the holes around that much

the other trillinghast course where thye had the open in ny (winged foot) is a lot tighter and the doglegs are a lot sharper and require more of a demand to turn your tee shots both ways , bethpaige has always played longer in my opinion

Last edited by gales0678 : 04-14-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
i think you will agree that a long hitter will win at bethpaige - kenny is in the top 10 % of long hitter on tour

most of the holes he can hit his draw , on number #1 there is room to start your ball to the right and bring it back , i realize it's a fade hole , but , it's not like you can't play a draw there

the 5th hole will be the hardest hole for him , it might be the hardes par 4 in the world when the wind is blowing
def need to bomb it... short hitters have 0 chance. i do think kenny has a big chance if he continues to putt well. i'm rooting for him. yeah actually he prob could draw it on 1 cause they can carry the big trees on the corner, just if it gets firm the fairway won't hold that shape. i can't wait for the tourney, bethpage is my favorite golf course i've ever played.

the 5th hole gives me nightmares. if the green wasn't so flat it would be the hardest par 4, instead i think 15 might be tougher.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
def need to bomb it... short hitters have 0 chance. i do think kenny has a big chance if he continues to putt well. i'm rooting for him. yeah actually he prob could draw it on 1 cause they can carry the big trees on the corner, just if it gets firm the fairway won't hold that shape. i can't wait for the tourney, bethpage is my favorite golf course i've ever played.

the 5th hole gives me nightmares. if the green wasn't so flat it would be the hardest par 4, instead i think 15 might be tougher.

phil - the tee shot on 5 with the bunker on the right and the the woods left and then the wind blowing might be the hardest tee shot in all of golf , then you go uphill to a well bunkerd green that is not as severe as 15 but probably still one of the hardest greens on the course

15 gives you room on the tee to hit the ball either way , the usga can't cut the pin in the front third of the green because it would be illegal - the pro's are lucky in that respect, some of them may not finish if they did put the pin on the front part of that green , i played a college tournament there back in the 90's - a good player walked in from #15 - the old N/C , you can't keep the ball on the green if you are above the hole and the pin is in the front it's impossible and unfair - #5 is just a great , tough fair , hole
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
phil - the tee shot on 5 with the bunker on the right and the the woods left and then the wind blowing might be the hardest tee shot in all of golf , then you go uphill to a well bunkerd green that is not as severe as 15 but probably still one of the hardest greens on the course

15 gives you room on the tee to hit the ball either way , the usga can't cut the pin in the front third of the green because it would be illegal - the pro's are lucky in that respect, some of them may not finish if they did put the pin on the front part of that green , i played a college tournament there back in the 90's - a good player walked in from #15 - the old N/C , you can't keep the ball on the green if you are above the hole and the pin is in the front it's impossible and unfair - #5 is just a great , tough fair , hole
you are stoking my passion to play... as soon as my shoulder is healed i'll be out there sleeping in my car

i kinda wish the red course would get some tournament love... maybe a us am or something, that is such a great course too. when i was in college st. johns hosted their tournament there
Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
you are stoking my passion to play... as soon as my shoulder is healed i'll be out there sleeping in my car

i kinda wish the red course would get some tournament love... maybe a us am or something, that is such a great course too. when i was in college st. johns hosted their tournament there
don't forget Eisenhower Park down the street , Nassau county has a lot of great public golf courses
Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
don't forget Eisenhower Park down the street , Nassau county has a lot of great public golf courses
yeah Eisenhower is decent, im not a huge fan at the prices they charge non-nassau residents but it's very playable... LI has a ridiculous collection of golf courses, both private and public.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I thinks it's nice(the ability to admit it's your own fault,) but this is not running a stop sign. This is competitive sports, and he says the Majors are how golfers careers are judged. You keep talking about how a man should act. Well, believe me, it's not manly to blow 4 straight approach shots with a Major up for grabs. This is one of the best iron players around. You don't want to teach your kids to cave in like that. You want them to keep believing (like Angel did.) BUT.....(BIG BUT).....There are about 7 Majors between now, and the time Kenny moves on to the old folks tour. I'll tell you exactly what a man does. It's not just say I fkd up. No, a man comes right back, and kicks butt in another major. He's done this on the regular tour. It's been 13 years since he had the pressure of trying to win a Major. He caved in. That's not the end of it. He needs to get right back out there, and win his Major. That's what a man does. This is the start. All that crap about "may never have another chance" etc. That's bullshit. Get out there and win your Major.
Nice post and I agree. Your right on here Scuds.