†Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
†Greg Vaughn
†Mo Vaughn
†Matt Williams

If Bert B. does not get in I swear I will fart.
Real soon.
I will fart.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Havre de Grace

Blyleven
Raines
Henderson
Dawson
Moris
Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
+ designates first year on ballot
No write in votes (That is you Scuds)
Mark who ever you feels deserves induction and we can argue later

Harold Baines
†Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
†David Cone
Andre Dawson
†Ron Gant
†Mark Grace
†Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
†Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
†Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
†Greg Vaughn
†Mo Vaughn
†Matt Williams
Old 12-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Woodbine

Dawson
Henderson
Mattingly
Rice
Old 12-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Aqueduct

Bert Blyleven
Andre Dawson
†Rickey Henderson
Mark McGwire
Lee Smith
Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Sha Tin

Harold Baines - He was a good hitter for a long time but never had a group of breakout seasons that defines a great player. In a 20 year career he only topped 100 rbi's 1 time, never hit 30 HR's in a season, only once hit more than 30 2b's, never scored 100 runs and only one time was in the top ten in MVP voting and he was 9th that year. Also never achived career milestones like 3000 hits or 400 Hr's. Hard to make a real case for him.

†Jay Bell- Underrated player but not nearly HoF caliber

Bert Blyleven He is the perfect example of a player that played for a lot of average to poor teams for the majority of his career which unduly influenced his W/L record. His career 3.31 era is outstanding especially he pitched his 2 worst years at age 40 and 41 which added 260 pretty ordinary innings to his total. He won 287 games but if the stats are normalized to standard 715 run season (baseball-reference) his win/loss totals out to 325-227 showing explicitly how poor his teams were. Not to mention that he pitched in an era where he had to finish games as he pitched 242 complete games. He his K to BB ratio was 3-1 which is outstanding and he was in the top 10 in era 10 times, top 10 in wins 6 times, top 10 in k's 15 times, top 10 in CG 12 times, top 10 in shutouts 10 times, not to mention a 4-1 with a 2.87 postseason record where he won 2 rings. He belongs.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
+ designates first year on ballot
No write in votes (That is you Scuds)
Mark who ever you feels deserves induction and we can argue later

Harold Baines
†Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
†David Cone
Andre Dawson
†Ron Gant
†Mark Grace
†Rickey Henderson The standard for leadoff
Tommy John
Don Mattingly Better than stats
Mark McGwire He's done and suffered enough
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
†Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
†Dan Plesac
Tim Raines For playing in Montreal
Jim Rice Hit ball harder than Superman
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
†Greg Vaughn
†Mo Vaughn (His mother didn't vote for him)
†Matt Williams
Nice idea Chuck happy holidays...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Harold Baines - He was a good hitter for a long time but never had a group of breakout seasons that defines a great player. In a 20 year career he only topped 100 rbi's 1 time, never hit 30 HR's in a season, only once hit more than 30 2b's, never scored 100 runs and only one time was in the top ten in MVP voting and he was 9th that year. Also never achived career milestones like 3000 hits or 400 Hr's. Hard to make a real case for him.

†Jay Bell- Underrated player but not nearly HoF caliber

Bert Blyleven He is the perfect example of a player that played for a lot of average to poor teams for the majority of his career which unduly influenced his W/L record. His career 3.31 era is outstanding especially he pitched his 2 worst years at age 40 and 41 which added 260 pretty ordinary innings to his total. He won 287 games but if the stats are normalized to standard 715 run season (baseball-reference) his win/loss totals out to 325-227 showing explicitly how poor his teams were. Not to mention that he pitched in an era where he had to finish games as he pitched 242 complete games. He his K to BB ratio was 3-1 which is outstanding and he was in the top 10 in era 10 times, top 10 in wins 6 times, top 10 in k's 15 times, top 10 in CG 12 times, top 10 in shutouts 10 times, not to mention a 4-1 with a 2.87 postseason record where he won 2 rings. He belongs.

...back when pitchers were pitchers!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Two lists.

Based on how I would set up my own personal hall of fame:
Bert Blyleven
†Rickey Henderson
Don Mattingly
Jim Rice

Based on who's already in there:
Bert Blyleven
Andre Dawson
†Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
†Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Sha Tin

David Cone- at first glance you think that David Cone simply doesnt have the career numbers to make the hall of fame. When you look at his career though he was an outstanding pitcher with some credentials. He won 20 games twice, won a Cy Young, 5 times was in the top 5 in Cy Young voting, pitched a perfect game, was a good playoff pitcher and was generally considered a top pitcher of his time. However like many of his peers like Orel Hershiser and Doc Gooden they just dont measure up to the other starting pitchers in the Hall of Fame. The only close measure is Dazzy Vance who amazingly enough didn't start pitching full time until he was 31 years old. Though he as a very good pitcher Cone simply didn't do enough compared to the standard set by other Hall of Fame pitchers.

Andre Dawson- I am amazed at the amount of people that support Jim Rice yet dont support Dawson. Dawson was clearly not only the better player (by a large margin) he had a better career. Dawson was one of the few players in baseball history to be able to transform his game as he aged from one that depended on speed to one that stressed power as his legs gave way. He won a rookie of the year award, won a MVP award, was 2nd in the voting two other times, won 8 gold gloves, stole over 300 bases, won 4 silver slugger awards, hit 438 HR's, 500 2b's , almost 100 3bs (98), had 2774 hits, 1373 runs, 1591 rbis's, and his numbers match up very nicely with hall of Famers, Billy Williams, Al Kaline, Tony Perez, Dave Winfield and Ernie Banks.
Another penalized by spending his best years in Montreal. In my mind he belongs.

Ron Gant- Not Hall of Fame material

Mark Grace- Nice career, no Hall of fame for him

Rickey Henderson- Not only the greatest leadoff hitter in modern baseball history, there is no one even close. Should be unanimous but some moron will leave him off.

Tommy John- Though John has similar numbers to Blyleven he has a couple of advantages that should be counted against him in that comaprison. Number one he started pitching in the mid 60's where the advantages for pitchers were many. He also played for mostly winning teams which led to a better record than his other stats indicate. He was a really good pitcher in the mid 70' to 1980 but was pretty ordinary the rest of his career. Not for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Sha Tin

Don Mattingly- By all accounts a classy guy. No doubt he was great player before his back injury. But 6 top seasons does not make for a hall of fame career. From 1984 to 1989 he was one of the best players in baseball but that simply isnt enough as his peak was not historic by any measure and his career numbers are not even close. Sorry sentiment aside he didnt have a hall of fame career.

Mark McGwire- since we live in America under a presumption of innocence I only took into consideration McGwires career and not the innuendo of steroid usage. He made the all star team in 12 of his thirteen full seasons. He hit 583 HR's. The numbers are there but I think most will hold the era against him.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Hialeah Park

†Rickey Henderson

Jim Rice
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Flemington

Cannon bringing out the sexy Latin words now(innuendo.)
Old 12-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Sha Tin

Jack Morris- A tough one. He was generally considered the best pitcher of the 80's. He won 20 games three times, was 7 times in the top 5 voting for the Cy Young, 5 times received MVP votes, was a tremendous pst season pitcher who twice was the MVP of the World series, twice led the league in wins, made 5 all star teams starting three games, pitched a no hitter and game 7 of the 1991 world Series remains one of the all time great clutch pitching displays. I think with his credentials and 254 wins he should be in.

Dale Murphy- He is very similar to Mattingly as he had a great 6 year run but the start and end of his career just wasnt that good. No for him.

Jesse Orosco- No chance

Dave Parker- a personal fav of mine he played at a high level for a long time but probably didn't do enough.

Dan Plesac- I cant think of one thing Dan Plesac ever did to be considered
Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Sha Tin

Tim Raines- Raines was a better player than Lou Brock but Brock hit one of those magic numbers, 3000 hits. Raines may have had 400 less hits than Brock but had close to 600 more walks and was a much better base stealer as he was successful on 808 while getting caught 146 versus Brock's 938 and 307. He had a long run of top years and while he wasnt the best leadoff/speed player with Henderson in the league he was far superior to the rest. He also matches up favorably with other players of his type that are in the Hall namely Fred Clarke and Max Carey. He should be in.

Jim Rice- Rice was always a good hitter, but was he good enough? He seems like a Hall of famer and his career almost looks good enough but for a pwer hitter he doesnt rank very high on the lifetime power lists. He has less hits, HR's, runs, and rbi's than Dawson. He never hit any of the important milestone numbers and was an extremely one dimensional player as he was a poor fielder and pretty slow. You have to draw a line somewhere and I draw the line at Rice.

Lee Smith- Hard to judge closers

Alan Trammell- Overshadowed by Ripken and Ozzie Smith, he was a solid player who may have been inducted if he had played in the 40's or 50's.

Greg Vaughn- Why?

Mo Vaughn- Maybe the fat dude HoF

Matt Williams- No
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Flemington

[quote=Cannon Shell]Tim Raines- Raines may have had 400 less hits than Brock..............Raines had 808 stolen bases.... Brock had 938 ....

Seems like the guy mainly just played forever. I don't see it. I doubt others will, and I bet he doesn't get in. Why do you want to give so much credit to somebody with a tiny strike zone (that resulted in getting a lot of walks?) Of course it's gunna be easy for Raines to get walks. It's pretty easy for Furcal, too. If you want a mediocre player to get in, then save your mediocre vote for when Biggio comes up.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Sha Tin

[quote=SCUDSBROTHER]
Quote:
Tim Raines- Raines may have had 400 less hits than Brock..............Raines had 808 stolen bases.... Brock had 938 ....

Seems like the guy mainly just played forever. I don't see it. I doubt others will, and I bet he doesn't get in. Why do you want to give so much credit to somebody with a tiny strike zone (that resulted in getting a lot of walks?) Of course it's gunna be easy for Raines to get walks. It's pretty easy for Furcal, too. If you want a mediocre player to get in, then save your mediocre vote for when Biggio comes up.
actually the majority of his important numbers were accumulated during a 11 year period where he was a premier player. He was a better player than other Hall of famers of his type AND he accumulated a signifigant number of milestones.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Flemington

[quote=Cannon Shell]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
actually the majority of his important numbers were accumulated during a 11 year period where he was a premier player. He was a better player than other Hall of famers of his type AND he accumulated a signifigant number of milestones.
I don't consider walks to be an important skill stat. It has too much to do with strike-zone size to be that important in voting. For instance, when I see Furcal bunt to the shortstop(or 2nd baseman,) it takes so much more skill than when he simply gets a walk by crouching down to form a tiny strike zone.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Gulfstream Park

Bert Blyleven -- long overdue, wicked curveball, & 3,701 strikeouts!

†Rickey Henderson -- over-the-top ego, but ultimate base thief...

Lee Arthur Smith from Castor, Louisiana, where the best watermelons on Planet Earth grow!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Sha Tin

[quote=SCUDSBROTHER]
Quote:

I don't consider walks to be an important skill stat. It has too much to do with strike-zone size to be that important in voting. For instance, when I see Furcal bunt to the shortstop(or 2nd baseman,) it takes so much more skill than when he simply gets a walk by crouching down to form a tiny strike zone.
With a guy who was a basestealing threat like Raines was a walk can be similar to a double not to mention the havoc that guys like him and Henderson caused while on the basebaths. A walk to a guy like Raines was often more valuable than a single from Boggs or Gwynn.