Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

they talked about it last night, and showed a replay-and drew a yellow line to indicate where the goal line was located. looked to me like the ball was on the line.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Oaklawn

The ball should have to end up over the line anyway. The current rule sucks, reaching the ball over for a split second....gimme a break.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I thought the replayed showed the ball crossing the line. I doubt I am lying about that. maybe my eyesight isnt 20/20 but it looked to me as though the end of the ball crossed the plane of the goal when he caught it. To say there is no way of knowing doesnt exactly support your position of it wasnt over either. It is still very hard to tell even after watching it. I dont really care either way though and if the ref thought it was over then he surely doesnt think he should apologixze.

You made my point. The replay judge is only supposed to overturn the call on the filed if they are 100% certain based on the replay. Nobody could say with 100% certainty whether he got in or not.

The right call was to stick with the call on the field. If the guy on the field said it was a TD then that should have been the call they went with.

Replay is only to overturn calls that are indisputable. The NFL replay ref screwed up.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Chris
You made my point. The replay judge is only supposed to overturn the call on the filed if they are 100% certain based on the replay. Nobody could say with 100% certainty whether he got in or not.

The right call was to stick with the call on the field. If the guy on the field said it was a TD then that should have been the call they went with.

Replay is only to overturn calls that are indisputable. The NFL replay ref screwed up.
Obviously they were 100% certain it was the right call. You are saying that nobody could say with 100% certainty but the ref thought is was a TD with 100% certainty and his opinion is really all that matters.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Obviously they were 100% certain it was the right call. You are saying that nobody could say with 100% certainty but the ref thought is was a TD with 100% certainty and his opinion is really all that matters.
No, the ref screwed up. Peter King, everyone at NBC last night, ESPN, etc. said they screwed up. No honest person could look at that and say they knew it was a TD. The guy must have had a plane to catch. He is the same guy that screwed up the tuck rule in the Oakland playoff game. He LOVES attention and the NFL has even said he seems to be involved in a ton of controversial calls. He likes to overturn his officials calls and make himself look smarter than everyone else. He won't be doing any playoff games this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...k15/index.html
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
No, the ref screwed up. Peter King, everyone at NBC last night, ESPN, etc. said they screwed up. No honest person could look at that and say they knew it was a TD. The guy must have had a plane to catch. He is the same guy that screwed up the tuck rule in the Oakland playoff game. He LOVES attention and the NFL has even said he seems to be involved in a ton of controversial calls. He likes to overturn his officials calls and make himself look smarter than everyone else. He won't be doing any playoff games this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...k15/index.html
I fail to see how honesty come into play. The ref thought that the ball crossed the line and made the call. Peter King says he believes the ball crossed the line. I agree that it was probably close enough to not overturn but that is my opinion and I am not a ref making the call.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
The guy must have had a plane to catch.
You're close...the player broke the plane, that's the rule and that's that...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Hialeah Park

It's the ball that needs to break the goaline, obviously. Holmes touched the ball in the endzone, then switched the ball in his grasp as to possess it while coming forward(out of the endzone). As 9-1 said, its the call on the field that makes all the difference. There is ABOSLUTELY no way, that the call should have been reversed. Not enough evidence to support such a move. They should have stuck with the call on the field, which was on the gash hair line. Who ever said this sport isnt a game of inches?

PS. I love the call in the sense that it makes the Ravens more hungry for a win next week and goes into D-Town and bangs them up before the Birds put the nail in Dallas' coffin.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM
The Curragh

Bob Ryan on Around The Horn had a GREAT IDEA. Install a chip and sensors at both goal lines - no question then when the ball crosses the plain.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Santa Anita

The Steelers historically have never had calls go there way. Mike Renfro?? Seahawks super bowl?? This call just made up for years of bad calls not going the Appalachians way. The fact that this was against the Rat Birds made it not so hard to take in all honesty!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Arlington Park

i listened to the game on the radio and it sounded like a touchdown to me.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Oaklawn

I'm just pissed we couldn't see if they would have gone for it on 4th down...now that would have been fun to watch.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
The Steelers historically have never had calls go there way. Mike Renfro?? Seahawks super bowl?? This call just made up for years of bad calls not going the Appalachians way. The fact that this was against the Rat Birds made it not so hard to take in all honesty!!!
The Seahawks were the ones screwed when the Steelers won the superbowl.

Maybe I am a little worried about the Steelers, as a Giants fan, but they should never have been given a TD. They should have had to go for it on 4th down and live with the outcome. The refs blew it. Indisputable means indisputable.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
You're close...the player broke the plane, that's the rule and that's that...
WRONG. Learn the rules before you go making ridiculous statements like that.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
WRONG. Learn the rules before you go making ridiculous statements like that.
True, the only thing that matters is the ball...I watched the replay a dozen times and couldn't tell, saw the still photo and couldn't tell...was the camera EXACTLY on the goal line? Reminded me of a dead heat photo in racing...I tend to agree that they should have stayed with the call made on the field...perhaps they had a higher quality pic than what we saw...still, we'll never know what the Steelers would have done on 4th down! Even a chip in the ball wouldn't help as that wouldn't determine possession, down by contact etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
The Seahawks were the ones screwed when the Steelers won the superbowl.

Maybe I am a little worried about the Steelers, as a Giants fan, but they should never have been given a TD. They should have had to go for it on 4th down and live with the outcome. The refs blew it. Indisputable means indisputable.
instead of being bothered so bad about the Steelers being "given" a TD...... maybe everyone should be more worried that the Steelers took the ball 92 yds against the 2nd best defense in the league to win the game late...... Again!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
instead of being bothered so bad about the Steelers being "given" a TD...... maybe everyone should be more worried that the Steelers took the ball 92 yds against the 2nd best defense in the league to win the game late...... Again!

True that...great drive by Ben and the boys!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM

All of those that say the call on the field should have stood are correct. There has got to be indisputable evidence to the contrary in order to change an on-field ruling and there clearly wasn't in this case. If it was, then everyone that has seen a replay or photo would be in agreeance. The fact that we are not means it's not indisputable and therefore it should not have been overruled. If the on-field call had been touchdown, I'd be saying the same thing if they had reviewed it and overruled that.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
Bob Ryan on Around The Horn had a GREAT IDEA. Install a chip and sensors at both goal lines - no question then when the ball crosses the plain.

Basically a variation of my laser post. What's bizzare is that tennis has this conquered with results in less than 10 seconds with the little ball and line computer thing but the NFL billion dollar machine can't get replay right to the satisfaction of any.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
Basically a variation of my laser post. What's bizzare is that tennis has this conquered with results in less than 10 seconds with the little ball and line computer thing but the NFL billion dollar machine can't get replay right to the satisfaction of any.

Again, football much more complicated....in tennis the only question is whether the ball hits the line, in football you have possession and down by contact issues.