Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
The Curragh

Default Steelers TD 2 Feet Down?

I can't see it? Help me out! Crossed the plane? No way man!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Flemington

They made the right call.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse
They made the right call.
yeah I just hate to sound like a arm chair ref but I could not see it at all. and I could care less about who wins this game, but after the 50th replay i just watched i agree.

now i am gonna watch as the world turns cowbys vs giants
Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Flemington

I changed my mind, can't tell if the ball crossed the plane.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Oaklawn

Bad call, from someone w/no dog in the fight.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Tropical Park

The refs blew that one. I was rooting for the Steelers because I had a small football card with them but after the game it was hard to not feel like the refs stole the game for them.

There was an earlier call when they gave the Steelers a first down at the 30 and I couldn't see anyway he got to the 30.

The TD play was close, although I don't think he got in, but there definitely wasn't enough evidence to overturn a call.

I guess the ref had a plane to catch.

I am sure the NFL will admit they blew it, but that doesn't help people that gambled on it.

They should have made them play it out. It would have been exciting to see them go for it or the OT.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Arlington Park

i admit up front i'm a Steelers fan...... the over head shot, the ball breaks the plane of the GL just as Holmes hands contact the ball. they showed it in slowest action. the camera on the left of the offense has it too, but it's VERY quick and not as good as the overhead. both had to be seen in the slowest of motion.
i first said NO WAY! i didn't understand the argument of his feet? he clearly drug both feet in the end zone.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Oaklawn

The key to the play was the call on the field of no touchdown. There wasn't enough visual evidence to overturn it, therefore, bad call. Had they called it a TD on the field, it shouldn't have been overturned either.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it was a touchdown. i don't understand why, if his feet were in the endzone, that it matters where the ball is at? if you're on the sideline and drag both feet, the catch is in bounds, regardless of where the ball is located. also, forward progress, his feet were in the endzone.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
it was a touchdown. i don't understand why, if his feet were in the endzone, that it matters where the ball is at? if you're on the sideline and drag both feet, the catch is in bounds, regardless of where the ball is located. also, forward progress, his feet were in the endzone.
A touchdown is defined by any part of the BALL crossing the goal line....or

Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

What I don't understand at this point is why they don't use a laser of some sort to validate "ball over line"....
Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
A touchdown is defined by any part of the BALL crossing the goal line....or

Touchdown: When any part of the ball, legally in possession of a player inbounds, breaks the plane of the opponent’s goal line, provided it is not a touchback.

What I don't understand at this point is why they don't use a laser of some sort to validate "ball over line"....
i promise i won't put it in.

i just want to rub it slowly and gently against your smooth lasered goal line.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
i admit up front i'm a Steelers fan...... the over head shot, the ball breaks the plane of the GL just as Holmes hands contact the ball. they showed it in slowest action. the camera on the left of the offense has it too, but it's VERY quick and not as good as the overhead. both had to be seen in the slowest of motion.
i first said NO WAY! i didn't understand the argument of his feet? he clearly drug both feet in the end zone.
I am a Giants Fan who is struggling now but we have beat both of these teams.

That ball never got close to being a TD. Stop being a homer and admit you got a break.

The Steelers probably would have won, but they clearly didn't score a TD there, and what is even worse is the guys on the field said they didn't score and the guy overturned it with no real evidence.

The ref is going to get a slap on the wrist for screwing up, but he did screw up. The Ravens got screwed and that is part of the NFL.

The fact that he even referred to the guys feet makes me wonder if he even knew what the hell he was talking about. The feet don't matter at all. He was in the middle of the field, it wasn't like his feet were going to come down out of bounds.

This belief that if your feet are in the endzone but the ball isn't still makes it a TD is 100% incorrect. The ball has to hit the line, and clearly the ball never hit the line.

The real travesty is how often the NFL refs are screwing these games up. Earlier in the game they gave the Steelers a first down when the guy was about a full yard short of the 30. They reviewed it and he still screwed it up.

The NFL has an interest in seeing teams like the Steelers go far. They can say they don't but they do. Refs don't intentionally screw teams, but when the Cowboys, Giants, Steelers and a few others are involved these refs have a tendency to side with them. Same goes in the NBA with the star teams.

Just be happy the Steelers won, but admit they got a break.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
i promise i won't put it in.

i just want to rub it slowly and gently against your smooth lasered goal line.

different game and scoring system...
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Chris
I am a Giants Fan who is struggling now but we have beat both of these teams.

That ball never got close to being a TD. Stop being a homer and admit you got a break.

The Steelers probably would have won, but they clearly didn't score a TD there, and what is even worse is the guys on the field said they didn't score and the guy overturned it with no real evidence.

The ref is going to get a slap on the wrist for screwing up, but he did screw up. The Ravens got screwed and that is part of the NFL.

The fact that he even referred to the guys feet makes me wonder if he even knew what the hell he was talking about. The feet don't matter at all. He was in the middle of the field, it wasn't like his feet were going to come down out of bounds.

This belief that if your feet are in the endzone but the ball isn't still makes it a TD is 100% incorrect. The ball has to hit the line, and clearly the ball never hit the line.

The real travesty is how often the NFL refs are screwing these games up. Earlier in the game they gave the Steelers a first down when the guy was about a full yard short of the 30. They reviewed it and he still screwed it up.

The NFL has an interest in seeing teams like the Steelers go far. They can say they don't but they do. Refs don't intentionally screw teams, but when the Cowboys, Giants, Steelers and a few others are involved these refs have a tendency to side with them. Same goes in the NBA with the star teams.

Just be happy the Steelers won, but admit they got a break.
the play at mid-field was a complete joke! that in no way was first down. in the end it was no harm.

the ball touched the goal-line but i didn't say Holmes had postion of it. should it have been overturned, probably not.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Arlington Park

it's the first i'd seen this.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,129009

by this it's not a TD. the key word is "postion" or "control"........ i still think the ball broke the plane just before this and Holmes would not have had "postion" or "control".
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Sha Tin

It was insanely close but i thought it was a TD though it was certainly not indisputable.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
It was insanely close but i thought it was a TD though it was certainly not indisputable.
espn radio this morning, is saying that replay made the right call BUT it wasn't indisputable. i do agree it wasn't indisputable.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
espn radio this morning, is saying that replay made the right call BUT it wasn't indisputable. i do agree it wasn't indisputable.

That is good because ESPN radio knows everything.

There is no way of knowing if that ball got in or not. Anyone that says they know for a fact that ball got in is a liar.

The real issue though is that the call on the field was no touchdown and the referee could not have possible saw something that made him think otherwise while reviewing the tape.

The ref screwed up. He should just admit it and move on.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Chris
That is good because ESPN radio knows everything.

There is no way of knowing if that ball got in or not. Anyone that says they know for a fact that ball got in is a liar.

The real issue though is that the call on the field was no touchdown and the referee could not have possible saw something that made him think otherwise while reviewing the tape.

The ref screwed up. He should just admit it and move on.
I thought the replayed showed the ball crossing the line. I doubt I am lying about that. maybe my eyesight isnt 20/20 but it looked to me as though the end of the ball crossed the plane of the goal when he caught it. To say there is no way of knowing doesnt exactly support your position of it wasnt over either. It is still very hard to tell even after watching it. I dont really care either way though and if the ref thought it was over then he surely doesnt think he should apologixze.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Jerome Park

the officiating in the NFL has been horrific. I didnt see this play.. but if you go by how every other call has been made the officials probably screwed up again.