Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Default nfl injurys

man running backs are dropping like torn tickets at suffolk downs..
Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Hialeah Park

The Rashard Mendenhall fractured shoulder had to be the most predictable of the weekend. Don't text your buddy with the Ravens how you are going to run all over them and then expect to come out alive.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Dee Tee Stables

steelers down, literally, to the last man. mendenhall has a fractured shoulder, done for the year.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
steelers down, literally, to the last man. mendenhall has a fractured shoulder, done for the year.
there's your solution as to who St Louis can trade Jackson to..... Pittsburgh needs a RB.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska
there's your solution as to who St Louis can trade Jackson to..... Pittsburgh needs a RB.
Would be a hell of a lot easier to just sign Shaun Alexander to fill in for a week or two before Willie Parker is back. I don't see Jackson going anywhere until the offseason when he'll inevitably holdout again.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Would be a hell of a lot easier to just sign Shaun Alexander to fill in for a week or two before Willie Parker is back. I don't see Jackson going anywhere until the offseason when he'll inevitably holdout again.
good idea.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
lost an O-linemen too. the line play is bad enough.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Pittsburgh's offense has changed so much. We remember them for what they have been over the years and especially during their recent superbowl run. Its not just line play-its philosophy.

Shawn Alexander is a one dimensional back that lost his step. Pitt would be better off with mewelde moore.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska
he'd be a great steeler and fit perfectly. would also be a great change from wille but the steelers don't have anything to trade without hurting themselves.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Pittsburgh's offense has changed so much. We remember them for what they have been over the years and especially during their recent superbowl run. Its not just line play-its philosophy.

Shawn Alexander is a one dimensional back that lost his step. Pitt would be better off with mewelde moore.
Actually, they'd be better off with both.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Actually, they'd be better off with both.
Alexander is done snipe. He was washed up last year.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
We're talking a waiver wire pickup to help out for two weeks. He's as good as anybody out there. Running back is so overrated anyways. As long as you can hit the hole and not fumble the ball you'll do alright in the NFL.

But of course it makes a ton more sense to mortgage their future by sending all their draft picks for Stephen Jackson when they will have Willie Parker back in two weeks.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
We're talking a waiver wire pickup to help out for two weeks. He's as good as anybody out there. Running back is so overrated anyways. As long as you can hit the hole and not fumble the ball you'll do alright in the NFL.

But of course it makes a ton more sense to mortgage their future by sending all their draft picks for Stephen Jackson when they will have Willie Parker back in two weeks.
Who said that? Look, cows would fly before the steelers would offer what it would take to get jackson and then devote such space to the cap. Its just not realistic.

My point is, Alexander is just not a good fit and on top of that is washed up. He has always been terrible in blitz protection and he can't catch.

I agree- you can find a guy to plug in there for a few weeks. But there are plenty of YOUNGER guys that you nor I have ever heard of that can fill the role much better in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Who said that? Look, cows would fly before the steelers would offer what it would take to get jackson and then devote such space to the cap. Its just not realistic.

My point is, Alexander is just not a good fit and on top of that is washed up. He has always been terrible in blitz protection and he can't catch.

I agree- you can find a guy to plug in there for a few weeks. But there are plenty of YOUNGER guys that you nor I have ever heard of that can fill the role much better in my opinion.
The reason those guys aren't on NFL rosters right now is because they fumble and cause they are even worse at picking up the blitz than Alexander. Pittsburgh needs someone with experience they can plug in there. Alexander might not be the guy but I'd at least have him in to work out.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
i agree, his heart is not in being hit anymore. he does not now or ever did run tough enough to be a steeler. he's a Bama man and i'll root for him but he's soft.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
The reason those guys aren't on NFL rosters right now is because they fumble and cause they are even worse at picking up the blitz than Alexander. Pittsburgh needs someone with experience they can plug in there. Alexander might not be the guy but I'd at least have him in to work out.
NO ONE is worse than Shawn Alexander at picking up blitzes. There might be some that are just as bad, but it is nearly impossible to be worse. Do you think he was out on third down because he can't catch?

There are only so many roster spots. A lot of times, a decent young running back can't make a team because he won't play special teams. If you arent starting, you have to be able to play special teams on a 52 man roster unless you are a kicker or a QB.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
i agree, his heart is not in being hit anymore. he does not now or ever did run tough enough to be a steeler. he's a Bama man and i'll root for him but he's soft.
He could run though couldnt he dd? Very unique style.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
NO ONE is worse than Shawn Alexander at picking up blitzes. There might be some that are just as bad, but it is nearly impossible to be worse. Do you think he was out on third down because he can't catch?

There are only so many roster spots. A lot of times, a decent young running back can't make a team because he won't play special teams. If you arent starting, you have to be able to play special teams on a 52 man roster unless you are a kicker or a QB.
You think a guy that won't play special teams can make it as a Steeler RB? If we are questioning Alexander's willingness to take a hit what does it say about the young guy that is too afraid to hit anybody that he can't make a roster?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
You think a guy that won't play special teams can make it as a Steeler RB? If we are questioning Alexander's willingness to take a hit what does it say about the young guy that is too afraid to hit anybody that he can't make a roster?
I shouldnt say "won't" i should have said "can't" meaning can't play special teams at a good NFL level.

There are plenty of guys like that but can run the ball decently. I would take that over a soft, over the hill guy with an ego like alexander.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Tatum Bell?