Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Flemington

Default Can anyone explain this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3605338

Alot of holes in the Mets. The bullpen was never addressed and they are playing with minor leauge infielders in the outfield. He did nothing at the deadline. Plus guys he brought in like El Duque and Moises Alou have given them nothing all season. Signed always injured Luis Castillio to a 4 year deal, He has been so bad that the Shea crowd cheered when he got hit by a pitch the other night. He did make the Santana trade but used up most of his chips in the deal. Not to mention how he handled the whole Willie Randolph situation. Basically he hasn't done anything during the season to make the team better. In a season where they might not make it again by one game, that is not acceptable. You would think one upgrade in the bullpen or in the outfield should have been worth a couple of games. Now he gets rewarded with an extention, it is just mind boggling.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 AM
5'8".. but all man!

More importantly....Hank is pouting saying its "not fair" that Torre and the Dodgers are in the post season and the Yanks aren't

Where is the crybaby emoticon when you need it?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
More importantly....Hank is pouting saying its "not fair" that Torre and the Dodgers are in the post season and the Yanks aren't

Hank just needs to shut the F up. The Yanks are out and he should not be seen or heard from again untill spring training. Let the playoff teams enjoy the spotlight, they have deserved it (not matter what their record's are).
Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Hank just needs to shut the F up. The Yanks are out and he should not be seen or heard from again untill spring training. Let the playoff teams enjoy the spotlight, they have deserved it (not matter what their record's are).

He is Georgie's boy...they don't know how to shut up.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Hialeah Park

The best thing Minaya did this year was NOT trade away his prospects for some journeymen that might have helped them win one or two extra games this year. With the corner OFs and the bullpen this is not a championship team and I'm thrilled they didn't mortgage the future just to slightly increase the chance of making the playoffs this year and yet they are still in a position where they could make it anyways.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK

Truly is his fathers' son! Waaaah! He needs a shipbuilder to teach him some things
Old 09-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK

On what basis? Record? Dodgers are lazy. They play a lot better when forced to. They had a lot of motivation to win last night. So, they were all over that pitcher in the 1st inning. They knew the Cards were ahead by a couple runs. They knew the DBACKS were under pressure to come back in that game. They wanted THE DBACKS to see that big Dodger lead. The DBacks are a very momentum -based team. When they are feeling it they score easily. You can see that if you watch their games. They wanted to kill that momentum. They did it. Their best hitter(Drew) struck out to end the game. I don't think he would of done that if he didn't feel the pressure of that big early Dodger lead. Like I said, the Dodgers are lazy. They had a tough loss on Sunday. They had 2 days to get ready to face this pitcher. They had a plan to make him look like he needed a diaper. They've faced him before. They won those 2 games, but didn't do anything to him early in those games(lazy.) They had a need. So, all I am saying is it's tough to know how many games that certain lazy teams would have won if they had to win them. We do know the Yanks had a need to win a lot of games, and couldn't. It does make me respect the management of teams that drew off (Angels, Cubs, and the Rays...as far as a playoff position goes, the Rays did draw off.) It's no coincidence that Joe Madden was Scioscia's bench coach before taking the Rays top spot. All year, I felt like Torre was trying to save his pitchers for the post. Look at the last 3 weeks. Maddux has been horrible, but Joe never tried to change the rotation. He pretty much wrote those games off in order to save the other starters arms for the post. He is basically writing off tomorrow night's game against the Padres(Maddux against Peavy.) I guess that's his way of telling his team he is confident in going to the post. He certainly is not using up all his horse to make the post.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
On what basis? Record? Dodgers are lazy. They play a lot better when forced to. They had a lot of motivation to win last night. So, they were all over that pitcher in the 1st inning. They knew the Cards were ahead by a couple runs. They knew the DBACKS were under pressure to come back in that game. They wanted THE DBACKS to see that big Dodger lead. The DBacks are a very momentum -based team. When they are feeling it they score easily. You can see that if you watch their games. They wanted to kill that momentum. They did it. Their best hitter(Drew) struck out to end the game. I don't think he would of done that if he didn't feel the pressure of that big early Dodger lead. Like I said, the Dodgers are lazy. They had a tough loss on Sunday. They had 2 days to get ready to face this pitcher. They had a plan to make him look like he needed a diaper. They've faced him before. They won those 2 games, but didn't do anything to him early in those games(lazy.) They had a need. So, all I am saying is it's tough to know how many games that certain lazy teams would have won if they had to win them. We do know the Yanks had a need to win a lot of games, and couldn't. It does make me respect the management of teams that drew off (Angels, Cubs, and the Rays...as far as a playoff position goes, the Rays did draw off.) It's no coincidence that Joe Madden was Scioscia's bench coach before taking the Rays top spot. All year, I felt like Torre was trying to save his pitchers for the post. Look at the last 3 weeks. Maddux has been horrible, but Joe never tried to change the rotation. He pretty much wrote those games off in order to save the other starters arms for the post. He is basically writing off tomorrow night's game against the Padres(Maddux against Peavy.) I guess that's his way of telling his team he is confident in going to the post. He certainly is not using up all his horse to make the post.

I think his biggest gripe was how much stronger the AL East is vs. divisions like the NL West. I think the fact that it is Torres team pisses him off even that much more...which makes it all the sweeter to me
Old 09-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I think his biggest gripe was how much stronger the AL East is vs. divisions like the NL West. I think the fact that it is Torres team pisses him off even that much more...which makes it all the sweeter to me
Yeah...that too!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Flemington

To me, whoever traded Valverde away to Houston should be the 1st to be fired. Then, the guy who signed the low life Andruw Jones. I would think it's obvious that if you pay a guy 15-17 mil a year, and he hits a buck 50, then you have got to lose your job. Joe told that fatboy he couldn't help them. In September, a guy making 15-17 mil is not good enough to play. How bad a decision was that(to sign him?)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
To me, whoever traded Valverde away to Houston should be the 1st to be fired. Then, the guy who signed the low life Andruw Jones. I would think it's obvious that if you pay a guy 15-17 mil a year, and he hits a buck 50, then you have got to lose your job. Joe told that fatboy he couldn't help them. In September, a guy making 15-17 mil is not good enough to play. How bad a decision was that(to sign him?)
Jones was the worst thing they've done in a long time!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
Jones was the worst thing they've done in a long time!
Paying Schmidt 30 mil for 3 games of bad pitching wasn't much better. This is 2 years in a row Nickle Confetti has fkd up.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Thistley Downs

r2d2 can be had
Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Paying Schmidt 30 mil for 3 games of bad pitching wasn't much better. This is 2 years in a row Nickle Confetti has fkd up.
I don't think anyone forsaw Schmidt going down, but the writng was on the wall about Jones.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
I don't think anyone forsaw Schmidt going down, but the writng was on the wall about Jones.
Hits, home runs, runs scored against him were all highest they had been in Frisco. He was only 11-9 in 2006. I knew he wasn't as good as he had been. He had from 40-70 less strike-outs than 2-3 years earlier(for the same amount of innings.) His earned runs against wasn't that bad, but he was giving up more unearned runs(he was losing arm strength...had to pitch more to contact.) I agree it wasn't as bad as the Jones signing, but the results are the same(money pissed away.) Confettiboy should stay the hell away from Vegas.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Sha Tin

Juan Pierre, 5 years.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
The best thing Minaya did this year was NOT trade away his prospects for some journeymen that might have helped them win one or two extra games this year. With the corner OFs and the bullpen this is not a championship team and I'm thrilled they didn't mortgage the future just to slightly increase the chance of making the playoffs this year and yet they are still in a position where they could make it anyways.
There arent many prospects left