Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Steve Byk

Default New avatar available!

Figure many here might enjoy the latest Avatar added to the system... It's a classic!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Santa Anita

I can't believe you haven't added my current avatar yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Figure many here might enjoy the latest Avatar added to the system... It's a classic!

i take it you are not a yankee fan?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 AM
The Curragh

But even as a life long Red Sox fan born and brought up in Boston I have always had respect for Torre. One of the best managers to step between the lines in my life time. It's kinda like Jeter ......I hate the bastard but you have to respect the talent. Joe should walk before Big Stein does the Green Mile thing with him. Torre has always been class....I mean how many players have you seen win a batting title as a third baseman and then calmly pick up the catchers gear and step behind the plate as competently as they come. And then the guy just makes the payoffs the last 12 years in a row. Joe gets a pass from me.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
i take it you are not a yankee fan?
Not a fan and not a Yank hater per se... And I like Torre. But the look on his face is priceless. Sums it up for Yankee backers who were so quick to ridicule Mets fans for their demise. And now they fall victim to the rampaging horde of the Cuyahoga!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
Not a fan of him either..
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Not a fan of him either..
I laughed.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
But even as a life long Red Sox fan born and brought up in Boston I have always had respect for Torre. One of the best managers to step between the lines in my life time. It's kinda like Jeter ......I hate the bastard but you have to respect the talent. Joe should walk before Big Stein does the Green Mile thing with him. Torre has always been class....I mean how many players have you seen win a batting title as a third baseman and then calmly pick up the catchers gear and step behind the plate as competently as they come. And then the guy just makes the payoffs the last 12 years in a row. Joe gets a pass from me.
how i was about landry. never liked the guy, hate the cowboys, but could NOT believe that jerry jones would just unceremoniously fire the guy when he walks in the door.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Monmouth Park

I love to see the Yankee demise as much as the next, especially in light of the Yanks fans (you know the ones with the false sense of entitlement) roaring about the Mets collapse and the alleged always impending Red Sox collapse.

But, as much as I hate them, I like Joe Torre. He's a classy guy, and has had quite a run. It's kind of sad to see him treated as such the last few days, he deserves a better ending.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Coach Pants

Oh quit it with the nice guy comments. Nice guys get fired everyday.

The guy is getting 7 million dollars a year for what? I have no sympathy whatsoever. Let him cry while rolling around in his pile of money in the bank vault. Boo hoo.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:

He's got one foot in the photo bucket.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles

Too bad none of your horseys ever finish.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Flemington

7 mil/year ???? A ten year old could manage that bunch well enough to get into the playoffs.Maybe George paid him that because he is telling guys making 20 mil/year what to do.I guess it's a lil odd to make 2 million a year,and tell 20 mil/year guys what to do.

He has done a good job with managing all the huge egos there.I have no clue whatsoever why the owner thinks the teams unacceptable results are due to Torres managing.Let me give you a specific example of a manager(Grady Lil') who should be fired.

Pitcher (DERRICK LOWE) goes from pitching great to pitching awful.No rhyme or reason.There is no doubt in my mind that somebody else can get a lot better milk from this cow.Although PENNY doesn't quit as badly,he has the stuff to be a 20 game winner.These 2 have talent,and there is no doubt in my mind that they would be doing much better for other managers and pitching coaches(HONEYCUTT is not a pitching coach.) Is a dog who stepped in paint called an artist? If so,then I guess you could call Honeycutt a pitching coach.There is talent here that is wasted,because it is managed improperly.Then you have the case of Jonathon Broxton.Now,if you think a guy like that(with that much talent) can't be better managed,then you are simply on dope.The guy can throw 98-100 mph,but throws 3 straight breaking balls(and hangs the 3rd one badly.) I mean,when a guy can throw that hard? Has an 0-2 count on a guy,why throw a hanging breaking ball(wrong in every way) right over the plate? UH....gee how much communication do you think is going on between pitcher and management??? DUHH...His arm is either dead,or the stuff between his ears is dead(one of the 2.) He is not throwing his fastball.His breaking ball is supposed to be there to complement his fastball.He can't control his breaking ball well enough to use it 3 straight times.Who is managing this? Nobody is...........O.K.,NOW ON THE OTHER HAND,you have Joe TORRE being blamed for pitchers(like Wang) who can't handle pitching in the post.It's not like he is inconsistent in the post.He can't pitch in the post.The pitching is simply not there.If you gave TORRE Lowe,Penny,and Broxton,I think the Yanks would be just fine right now.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 10-09-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:

***this just in... MAD mag. has just hired Joe to replace Alfred E. New.***

What Me Worry !
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i read some things in todays paper about torre.

the yanks hadn't won the world series in nearly two decades, had been to the playoffs only ONCE in 14 seasons, and then torre was hired.

with him:

four world championships
10 division titles
into the postseason 12 consecutive years

where were the yanks just a couple months ago? and just how much did they improve to make it to post season this year? yet torre will lose his job? amazing.

i'm not a ball fan, not a yanks fan, but i don't mind getting involved in this particular discussion, as i think steinbrenners attitude towards a dammed good manager is a disgrace.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Thistley Downs

Dannie....geez you can be a doorknob when you want to.

What is a BB manager supposed to do? Manage...right?

He managed well when he won the WS things...he got rewarded for that.

Now he hasn't managed so well...for a while.

So he may well get canned...it's the Yankees..they expect a lot more so they pay a lot more.

Are you with me?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
7 mil/year ???? A ten year old could manage that bunch well enough to get into the playoffs.Maybe George paid him that because he is telling guys making 20 mil/year what to do.I guess it's a lil odd to make 2 million a year,and tell 20 mil/year guys what to do.

He has done a good job with managing all the huge egos there.I have no clue whatsoever why the owner thinks the teams unacceptable results are due to Torres managing.Let me give you a specific example of a manager(Grady Lil') who should be fired.

Pitcher (DERRICK LOWE) goes from pitching great to pitching awful.No rhyme or reason.There is no doubt in my mind that somebody else can get a lot better milk from this cow.Although PENNY doesn't quit as badly,he has the stuff to be a 20 game winner.These 2 have talent,and there is no doubt in my mind that they would be doing much better for other managers and pitching coaches(HONEYCUTT is not a pitching coach.) Is a dog who stepped in paint called an artist? If so,then I guess you could call Honeycutt a pitching coach.There is talent here that is wasted,because it is managed improperly.Then you have the case of Jonathon Broxton.Now,if you think a guy like that(with that much talent) can't be better managed,then you are simply on dope.The guy can throw 98-100 mph,but throws 3 straight breaking balls(and hangs the 3rd one badly.) I mean,when a guy can throw that hard? Has an 0-2 count on a guy,why throw a hanging breaking ball(wrong in every way) right over the plate? UH....gee how much communication do you think is going on between pitcher and management??? DUHH...His arm is either dead,or the stuff between his ears is dead(one of the 2.) He is not throwing his fastball.His breaking ball is supposed to be there to complement his fastball.He can't control his breaking ball well enough to use it 3 straight times.Who is managing this? Nobody is...........O.K.,NOW ON THE OTHER HAND,you have Joe TORRE being blamed for pitchers(like Wong) who can't handle pitching in the post.It's not like he is inconsistent in the post.He can't pitch in the post.The pitching is simply not there.If you gave TORRE Lowe,Penny,and Broxton,I think the Yanks would be just fine right now.

agree - yanks won with pitching in the late 90's - key , pettite , cone , clemens , wells, el duque - vs wang, pettite , clemenes on 1 leg , mussina , hughes (pitched well) - all in all when you look at that even the 27 yankees would have a hard time winnig with this pitching

the guy on the hot seat s/b cashman - kevin brown, pavano, igawa, irabu , farnsworth .... some of these moves have just been plain awful -
Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Dannie....geez you can be a doorknob when you want to.

What is a BB manager supposed to do? Manage...right?

He managed well when he won the WS things...he got rewarded for that.

Now he hasn't managed so well...for a while.

So he may well get canned...it's the Yankees..they expect a lot more so they pay a lot more.

Are you with me?
four world series' in fourteen years, and playoffs for how many years running, and it's not enough? setting the bar pretty high there imo.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Not a fan and not a Yank hater per se... And I like Torre. But the look on his face is priceless. Sums it up for Yankee backers who were so quick to ridicule Mets fans for their demise. And now they fall victim to the rampaging horde of the Cuyahoga!
His facial expression says to me, oh well.....I am a rich man with multiple rings so who cares. I am off to Penny's to buy a new trench coat.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
four world series' in fourteen years, and playoffs for how many years running, and it's not enough? setting the bar pretty high there imo.

Dannie...you're beginning to upset me.

I said before every YankeeSwine knows coming in they are expected to win the ws every year...and are even more overpaid than othe MLB players are.

Torree has not won a ws for too long for them....not even gotten to the alcs for too many years running.

Any bb manager has a short life expectancy....whether you deserve it or not you get accolades for winning and the boot for losing.

Do you REALLY think the guy is getting 7 million a year and furnished with a player payroll of over 200 million a year to keep bowing out in the division round??