Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickhorse
Settle down, I'm not criticizing teams for trying to win. I'm criticizing teams for being too impatient and sacrificing their future for a quick fix. Better to be a contender year after year than to sell out for an unsuccessful title run.

The better franchises have it figured out. Build your team for the long haul. Beat your opponents in the draft. I will concede that once in awhile you might have to pick up a free agent during the season. The Dodgers picking up Manny midseason was not a a typical move for them.

The Red Sox are a great example of building a solid team via the draft.

Patience is still important in building a successful sports franchise just as it is in managing a stable.
But they get 2 draft picks when the players fail to resign with them so I fail to see how that is not beneficial to building a team via the draft. The Red Sox added Ortiz, Beckett, Lowell, Varitek, Drew, Schilling, Damon, Manny, Dice K, etc were all added via trade or free agency so the thought that the Red Sox have built mainly through the draft is fiction though they have done much better in player development than the Yankees. Milwaukee hardly sold out in trading LaPorta for Sabathia. He was the only player of signifigance they gave up and wasnt a great fit on the current roster in the immediate future as his only 2 positions are all blocked by superior players. Milwaukee made an attempt to win when they had the chance, they did what every team in that position should do.