Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 03:07 AM
Del Mar

Default Golf's Newest Bad Boy

I knew that some people thought Patrick Reed was a little cocky when he said he thought he was one of the top 5 players in the world. But I didn't know that Reed had such a tumultuous college career and that he was so unpopular with not only his competitors, but also his teammates. I was also surprised to learn that Reed does not speak to either of his parents.

Like him or hate him, he looks like another one of golf's rising young stars. He has made over $7 million the last 2 years.

http://deadspin.com/how-patrick-reed...ian-1682766305
Old 02-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Jerome Park

Sounds like a real prick, but "meh".... Very curious to know what happened at Georgia though.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
Sounds like a real prick, but "meh".... Very curious to know what happened at Georgia though.
I had no idea that he got kicked off the team at Georgia until I read this article.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Hialeah Park

Who caught Reed's near impossible up and down from being buried in the bunker on the second hole of yesterday's playoff? Unbelievable shot!

Speaking of bunker/near green shots and unbelievable -- how about the young gun Jordan Spieth. Love how he approaches the game. Rarely ever gets rattled to the point of collapse. Best on tour from just off the green, imo.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Randwyck

I tried to like Reed, even after his sophomoric "Best 5" comment. I liked his fire and his Lanny Wadkin's inspired steam. I love a player who wants to take on everyone mano-a-mano and has the game to do it.
Now I'm beginning to doubt whether he is an honest true golfer or some hungry kid with underlying issues.
I play the University of Georgia Golf Course several times a year and know enough people to get some inside scoop on his time there.
I will report back to DT with my findings and share the scoop from down here in Dixie. For his sake I hope none of this is true, but now that he's out there winning, it may not matter.
But if it is true he'll have a hard time joining anyone for dinner beyond his wife. They don't "cotton" to that stuff on tour.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Who caught Reed's near impossible up and down from being buried in the bunker on the second hole of yesterday's playoff? Unbelievable shot!

Speaking of bunker/near green shots and unbelievable -- how about the young gun Jordan Spieth. Love how he approaches the game. Rarely ever gets rattled to the point of collapse. Best on tour from just off the green, imo.
Those guys hit so many great clutch chips and putts. That was one of the most exciting tournaments of the year. I think Spieth will be #1 in the world very soon. He may not have quite as much talent as Rory, but he is so focused and he has so much poise. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up surpassing Rory as the best player in the world. They are both great. I'm a big fan of both.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnSkinny View Post
I tried to like Reed, even after his sophomoric "Best 5" comment. I liked his fire and his Lanny Wadkin's inspired steam. I love a player who wants to take on everyone mano-a-mano and has the game to do it.
Now I'm beginning to doubt whether he is an honest true golfer or some hungry kid with underlying issues.
I play the University of Georgia Golf Course several times a year and know enough people to get some inside scoop on his time there.
I will report back to DT with my findings and share the scoop from down here in Dixie. For his sake I hope none of this is true, but now that he's out there winning, it may not matter.
But if it is true he'll have a hard time joining anyone for dinner beyond his wife. They don't "cotton" to that stuff on tour.
Even if all that stuff is true, the guy was only 19 years old when most of that stuff happened. Plenty of guys do stupid stuff when they are young. Hopefully the guy is starting to grow up. He's got a wife and a kid now. Sometimes that forces people to grow up. He seems like he's behaving himself pretty well out there right now. He appeared to be very gracious in defeat yesterday. Hopefully he has learned from his past mistakes.

Anyway, let us know what you hear. I will be curious to hear what everyone down there has to say about him.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Even if all that stuff is true, the guy was only 19 years old when most of that stuff happened. Plenty of guys do stupid stuff when they are young. Hopefully the guy is starting to grow up. He's got a wife and a kid now. Sometimes that forces people to grow up. He seems like he's behaving himself pretty well out there right now. He appeared to be very gracious in defeat yesterday. Hopefully he has learned from his past mistakes.

Anyway, let us know what you hear. I will be curious to hear what everyone down there has to say about him.
And the contrary to that is sometimes an ******* with a few bucks in his pocket becomes a bigger *******. His comment about being top 5 with basically no track record would be enough for me to bet this is the case.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
And the contrary to that is sometimes an ******* with a few bucks in his pocket becomes a bigger *******. His comment about being top 5 with basically no track record would be enough for me to bet this is the case.
He's top 15 right now. Absolutely nothing wrong with having confidence.

And really at the top level most of them are assholes. Some are just media savvy.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
When he made that comment, he had won two tournaments in a 7 week period. He was probably in the top 2 or 3 hottest players in the world at that time, if not the hottest. I understand there is obviously a difference between being in the top 5 "hottest" players in the world versus the top 5 "best" players in the world. To get into the top 5 "best" in the world, you need to play well for at least a year or two, not just a month or two. Anyway, he probably shouldn't have made the comment but I don't think it was a big deal. As Coach was saying, I think that most players that are 23 years old (his age when he made the comment) that have already won a couple of times are extremely confident, if not a little cocky. But most of them are smart enough to at least pretend to be humble.

He hasn't made any really cocky comments since then, so he may have learned his lesson. Time will tell.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Hialeah Park

Whether he cheated or not in college, I'm pumped to have him represent USA in the Ryder/President's Cup's for years to come. His play last year at Gleneagles was by far the best that the Americans had to offer that weekend. He, along with Spieth, hopefully taught Tom Watson (for the remainder of his tenure as captain) a valuable lesson moving forward about riding the hot hand.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel