Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Oriental Park

Default Going to Lone Star Park Saturday

For Father's Day and Patty's birthday. Daughter treating us to reserved seats. Haven't been in a couple of years. Any one have any thoughts on wagers? Thanks,
DG
Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Havre de Grace

It would be cool if they moved Breeders Cup there this year.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Oriental Park

Patty and I where there for the B.C. in 2004 They had to add a ton of temporary seats. It was OK but nowhere near as special as Santa Anita, Churchill, Belmont, etc. Nice track but second tier at best.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
It would be cool if they moved Breeders Cup there this year.
Do you live in the DFW area? We're about 20-30 mins away.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Oriental Park

What a great Father's Day and Birthday present. Hope that you have a great time and a successful day at the windows.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Oriental Park

So I hit a couple of wagers with a trifecta key and a Pick 3. Problem is the bigger odds horses I included didn't come in so the payouts were minimal. I had all 3 horses in race 7 but in the wrong order of course. If I would boxed the tri it would have paid $171.65 for a 50 cent bet.

WOULDA COULDA SHOULDA!!!

But it was a fun day with Patty on her birthday, daughter and husband at Lone Star. No crowds, nice box seats inside (away from the humidity an heat)and I managed to only end up $16 dollars in hole, after covering food, drinks, parking, etc. Not great but pretty darn good.

We went to the movies the night before and even with senior tickets it totaled $40 bucks or so. Which is the better deal? And we saw some real speed with two track records set.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Havre de Grace

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I know people that hate the idea of gambling, but then pursue other recreational activities that are probably far more expensive. A lot of people in my part of the world like water sports and that is only natural since we have easy access to 3 or 4 lakes, but buying boats and other water craft can be super expensive and just buying a boat is not the end of the expense. Then you have to have something to tow it with which generally means a large SUV or truck and then, if you fish, fishing tackle, baits, rods and reels, etc.

I have contemplated buying a boat and may end up doing it. I have two grandsons that love fishing and I have no doubt I might see more of them, if I had a boat. I went to a Bass Pro shop the other day and looked at some. One like I wanted was $23K. All this makes racing seem like an absolute bargain.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
I guess it's all in how you look at it. I know people that hate the idea of gambling, but then pursue other recreational activities that are probably far more expensive. A lot of people in my part of the world like water sports and that is only natural since we have easy access to 3 or 4 lakes, but buying boats and other water craft can be super expensive and just buying a boat is not the end of the expense. Then you have to have something to tow it with which generally means a large SUV or truck and then, if you fish, fishing tackle, baits, rods and reels, etc.

I have contemplated buying a boat and may end up doing it. I have two grandsons that love fishing and I have no doubt I might see more of them, if I had a boat. I went to a Bass Pro shop the other day and looked at some. One like I wanted was $23K. All this makes racing seem like an absolute bargain.
Some wag once defined a boat as a hole in the water into which you pour large sums of money.

Might still be a relative bargain if you compare it to, say, investing in racehorses.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Havre de Grace

What I heard was with a boat, the best day is when you buy it and the second best day is when you sell it or maybe vice versa.