Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Steve Byk

Default 3/10 (SA): Big Cap, Kilroe, Triple Bend (G1's), San Felipe (G2), China Doll

Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Longchamps

San Felipe is a great looking race!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Hey all, trying to show my friend the video of Justify's maiden win, as he's a big Baffert guy. Not as big a Baffert guy as RHT , but big nonetheless. Anybody know where i can acquire the link to the race other than calracing.com? I've scoured youtube with zero luck.

Much appreciated if so.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Hialeah Park

Nevermind -- I found it on twitter.

This weekend looks to be shaping up nicely! Action from coast to coast!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM
The Curragh

Remember when the Big Cap was a race that mattered?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Remember when the Big Cap was a race that mattered?
Remember the Marlboro Cup
Old 03-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
San Felipe is a great looking race!
all button
Old 03-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Cahokia Downs

Can the people in New York please talk to the people out here in California and explain to them how they are able to put their stake races on big days back to back to back and not break up the big races with a $16K claimer and another claimer dressed up as an allowance race. Would be great!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITF View Post
Can the people in New York please talk to the people out here in California and explain to them how they are able to put their stake races on big days back to back to back and not break up the big races with a $16K claimer and another claimer dressed up as an allowance race. Would be great!
Frank is the boss, It's Frank's world and if the computer algo guys call he will listen until then take a seat you are second fiddle
Old 03-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Steve Byk

Giant Expectations will SCR from the Triple Bend to run in the Big Cap..
Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Flemington

Smith came out on the turn (he and Baffert, of course, pretending he didn't.) My favorite part is Baffert thinking his horse could get away with coming out late (because of what happened on the turn.) Like anything goes, after that.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
Smith came out on the turn (he and Baffert, of course, pretending he didn't.) My favorite part is Baffert thinking his horse could get away with coming out late (because of what happened on the turn.) Like anything goes, after that.
Worst dq ever. Horse was never going past.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
So true.
Very rarely do you see them take a hoss down for having the nerve to outrun a competitor down the stretch who dropped right over on him on the turn. Those stewards are the worst to ever lace em up. They should be drowned in the infield.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Probably not even in the top 1000 of bad DQs. I wouldn't have taken him down but it wasn't outrageous. The "he was never going by" excuse is utter BS.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Probably not even in the top 1000 of bad DQs. I wouldn't have taken him down but it wasn't outrageous. The "he was never going by" excuse is utter BS.
He’s clearly sticking up for his man crush Baffert. Lol .. and the other guy agreeing with him makes me CERTAIN now the right call was made haha

Personally, I think it was the right call considering the margin of victory. Head OB has Bafferts horse coming out, what, 2 paths??

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
He’s clearly sticking up for his man crush Baffert. Lol .. and the other guy agreeing with him makes me CERTAIN now the right call was made haha

Personally, I think it was the right call considering the margin of victory. Head OB has Bafferts horse coming out, what, 2 paths??

I think the only argument against the DQ is if you firmly believe Bolt D'Oro fouled McKinzie as they were coming into the stretch. The late foul was clear.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I think the only argument against the DQ is if you firmly believe Bolt D'Oro fouled McKinzie as they were coming into the stretch. The late foul was clear.
Agreed.

I’d hate to try to hop into the minds of the stews even for a second bc I’m not even sure that THEY know what they’re doing half the time (in mostly all jurisdictions coast to coast), but they most likely viewed the earlier infraction as very minor and had an entire stretch run to let it play out on even terms. And as you said, the late foul was clear, which had a more direct effect on the placings.

Great race though, and sets up a highly anticipated SA Derby.

Kanthaka broke like poop, but ranged up nicely on the backstretch and into the turn before leveling out. I was hoping that he found more in the stretch, as he looked strong powering home last time out.

I, as recently as the past week or so, was underwhelmed with this group of 3 year olds, but that’s certainly changed. Caught the Derby Fever and looking to make a sizable wager on Pool 3 Future tomorrow. Things are shaping up nicely, if you ask me, which you didn’t.

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Cahokia Downs

While I wish they would've have left the result alone, it's hard for me to be too upset. Finally, we have a true Derby prep with two serious horses. Here's to hoping they both come out of this race in good order and move forward off of this effort. Could be an excellent Santa Anita Derby, if Bob decides to stay. These two are clearly the head of their class. Great race. Just what we needed.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Ellis Park

Default Best Srew Call Ever

Better lucky and good than just lucky!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Cahokia Downs

Now if only that could've been backed up by the Big Cap, as awful a race as it was this year, it still would've been awesome to go Kilroe-San Felipe-Big Cap. But I guess that's too much to ask.

Seriously, can we please work on this? It's so f#$%&$*$ stupid that we in So Cal can't figure this out on our biggest days of the year. I know there is a lot of fixing that needs to happen here in So Cal but I do believe the racing, when done right, is exceptional. This day could've been great. Even with the rain. But a 16K claimer and some whack ass allowance race! Come on. Let me play the big horses back to back and I'll wager much more. I promise.

Add it to the list Mr. Ritvo.