Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default NHL realignment

i'm not liking what i'm seeing so far, with det and columbus both supposedly moving to the east.
this leaves 14 teams in the west, 16 in the east (jets move to the west obviously).
why not do two 15 team conferences, with three five team divisions? seems like that would make more sense for so many reasons.

thoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i'm not liking what i'm seeing so far, with det and columbus both supposedly moving to the east.
this leaves 14 teams in the west, 16 in the east (jets move to the west obviously).
why not do two 15 team conferences, with three five team divisions? seems like that would make more sense for so many reasons.

thoughts?
Detroit pushing hard for the move...Hawks travel 25,000 air miles a year, NJ travels 12,000 a year..Interesting difference.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Detroit pushing hard for the move...Hawks travel 25,000 air miles a year, NJ travels 12,000 a year..Interesting difference.
yeah, i know detroit wants to move badly. but until they get to 32 in the league, i just think they should move the one team to keep it even in each conference. maybe they can realign in the division to help out on travel, i already know in one suggestion that the east changes dramatically division-wise.
hell, kep det and col in the west, and move nashville. that way neither the wings or bjackets get what they want.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Oriental Park

How about 3 ten team divisions(East, Midwest and West)? It would give them more flexibility with future relocation and expansion.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Bowie

what about the time zones and the fan base. If I want to watch the jackets on the west coast the damn game does not start until 10:30pm and gets over 1-1:30am. It makes it hard to get up for work the next day. Maybe I need to schedule off days or call in sick!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
How about 3 ten team divisions(East, Midwest and West)? It would give them more flexibility with future relocation and expansion.
i was thinking that...but what about two sc finalists? if anything, they need to split in four.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Do you have any data on how many miles each team travels per year ? I always thought Winnipeg was the team that traveled the most. they seem so isolated.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

The eastern teams have the life of riley, especially this season. Lots of short jaunts ! How about those Habs this year ?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
what about the time zones and the fan base. If I want to watch the jackets on the west coast the damn game does not start until 10:30pm and gets over 1-1:30am. It makes it hard to get up for work the next day. Maybe I need to schedule off days or call in sick!
why would you want to watch the 'jackets??
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Flemington

They can't break up that old Norris division. Too many good rivalries there to only play once/twice a year. Move Columbus to the East so you have 15 & 15 and be done with it.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Flemington

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...ue-4-divisions
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
hey, they listened to me!

that's a far better solution than the one i saw the other day.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
why would you want to watch the 'jackets??
I knew a response like that was coming I just did not expect it from you.

That is where I live and on occasion(?) they play decent hockey
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
They can't break up that old Norris division. Too many good rivalries there to only play once/twice a year. Move Columbus to the East so you have 15 & 15 and be done with it.
Um...didn't they break up the old Norris division in like 1992? For that matter, the only original Norris division member still playing in the current Central division is the Red Wings. The "old" Norris division that you're remembering from the late 80's/early 90's included the Stars (not in the same division as the Wings since 1992), the Lightning (!!!), the Blues (a quasi-rival), the Blackhawks (a rival) and the Maple Leafs (a long-time Red Wings rival dating back to the 20's and 30's).

It's a travesty that the Leafs and Wings - two of the oldest rivals in the NHL and a scant four hour drive from each other - have, in some years, not played each other even once in a given season. Likewise the Wings and the Bruins, Canadiens, and Rangers. Not playing the Blackhawks more than twice per season would stink, but I'm sure most Wings fans (and players) would take the thousands miles less traveled and actual, normal playoff start times over playing Chicago more often (the only real Red Wings rivalry in the Western Conference with all due respect to Nashville and Columbus).
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I knew a response like that was coming I just did not expect it from you.

That is where I live and on occasion(?) they play decent hockey
lol yeah, us caps fans can't really bash anyone else this year!! just teasing....that's why i put the .

but i think they're getting it figured out. played a good game last night and blanked carolina. tonite vs philly.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Bowie

too many prescription drugs