Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2019, 01:49 PM
The Curragh

Default Call To Post @ Derby Trail Recap

Just some odds and ends listed in this thread from a player with too much time on his hands. A lot of this mish mash is from when we arrived here at the Derby Trail around 2014. I joined this group in the 2009 season and I know The Call To Post predates me maybe as the Final Turn. Our first listed Points winner here at Derby Trail was Criminal Type a player I'll never forget. Dapplehorse was our first ROI winner. The reason I started looking back was when Joly went for a four peat this year and I wondered if anyone else did it. The answer is no but JB has gone for 4 four peats over the years and if not for Cruzan edging him out by 4 points Joly would have had a five peat.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Oriental Park

Thanks for the back date report. I bet you have kept records as long as you've been with us. Were you a statistician, a bank examiner, a legal investigator or actuary before retirement???
Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM
The Curragh

None of the above. Just a number cruncher with the tbreds. As for "before retirement" if I retired where would I find the time to handicap?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 PM
The Curragh

The highest points score I have seen was registered by Joly B on 2/27/16 at Gulfstream. JB had 231 on that afternoon. Joly B also had 204 to win at Oaklawn in 2018. No other player has won a points contest with over 200 points. The oddity is that on the day Joly put up 231 points 3 other players scored over 200 and couldn't sniff out a win.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
The highest points score I have seen was registered by Joly B on 2/27/16 at Gulfstream. JB had 231 on that afternoon. Joly B also had 204 to win at Oaklawn in 2018. No other player has won a points contest with over 200 points. The oddity is that on the day Joly put up 231 points 3 other players scored over 200 and couldn't sniff out a win.
It seems so far this year we are all having a hard time breaking the century mark. What the heck is wrong with those horses???
Old 02-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

It means that this crop had designated 2 year olds for their 2 year old races, and the 3 year olds are still waiting in the wings as races for them come up. The older horses retired, got hurt, or the trainers found out in time that the usual meds (and I use that term loosely) were now tested for. New York tightened their testing up considerably and at least one trainer did not win a race worth anything at the spa last year because his whole humongous stable got a summer cold and took a vacation. He's at least entering some this year, but the usual championship run did not happen. It did show up approximately 30 seconds after the testing was boosted, though.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM
The Curragh

As noted earlier Joly B is the master of three peats and has four. No one else has won three in a row. With that being said there is a barn burner side contest going on between JB and Don Guido. Since 2014 when we moved here to the Derby Trail Don Guido has won 48 points contests to Joly's 47. Ruffian is in third with 33 points wins.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
As noted earlier Joly B is the master of three peats and has four. No one else has won three in a row. With that being said there is a barn burner side contest going on between JB and Don Guido. Since 2014 when we moved here to the Derby Trail Don Guido has won 48 points contests to Joly's 47. Ruffian is in third with 33 points wins.
Are you sure I never had a Three-Peat in all those years . . . Ya goota be kiddin me . . . since I'm kiddin you. Check your figures Mr. . . . well maybe not hard to believe but I'll take your word fo it.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 AM
The Curragh

With all those wins Don it is hard to believe that you haven't nailed a three peat. 8 times you had a shot at it but Arletta (2), Ruffian (2), Plenilune, RYonker (2) and Real Quiet derailed you. Thats 5 times a filly took you down. Diud you ever do anything to incur their wrath?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
With all those wins Don it is hard to believe that you haven't nailed a three peat. 8 times you had a shot at it but Arletta (2), Ruffian (2), Plenilune, RYonker (2) and Real Quiet derailed you. Thats 5 times a filly took you down. Dude you ever do anything to incur their wrath?
Yes like this year if I'm correct, Roamin nailed me due to a bunch of scratches keeping me from a 3 peat and I won the next week that coulda given me a freekin 4 peat. Hey, such is life and we all move on, especially in the wonderful cyber world of ours. I'm not complaining just well lamenting a bit. :} And for the fillies here, I've always loved the fillies but I guess they don't "love" me?

Thanks RQ as always for the tidbits of our game!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Yes like this year if I'm correct, Roamin nailed me due to a bunch of scratches keeping me from a 3 peat and I won the next week that coulda given me a freekin 4 peat. Hey, such is life and we all move on, especially in the wonderful cyber world of ours. I'm not complaining just well lamenting a bit. :} And for the fillies here, I've always loved the fillies but I guess they don't "love" me?

Thanks RQ as always for the tidbits of our game!!!
This one's for you, Don:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hbUqhKM38
Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenilune View Post
Thanks Jane, I knows ya luvs me . . . no matter what. Back at'cha!!! Then it went into Don Rickles Shtick at roasts and Carson on and on and . . . I had to stop and get a dose of The Who, Led Zeppelin and some Pink Floyd before bed.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:05 PM
The Curragh

We all know who our offensive players are. The ones that score the big points. But often overlooked is the defensive end of our contest. Who is the player who can reject a Lebron slam dunk. Who makes the Willie Mays basket catch with his back to home plate. Who is our Gump Worsley and can turn away 63 shots in a game. Not a big player by most standards but who came up big on January 14th, 2017 @ Oaklawn. That defensive dynamo is Ruffian who on that day turned away all challengers and put up 51 points for the win. A few have tried but in these days of 100 point scores Ruff's defensive effort stands shoulders above the rest. With Oaklawn coming up this Saturday if points are hard to come by I would place a shekel or two on the Ruff Won to win it all.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:30 PM
The Curragh

"Good for Roamin. I'm glad to see him win after running second so many times. Problem is, he is probably so far ahead now that none of the rest of us can catch him."

Cal posted this after the Belmont Stakes and it got me wondering. After this week Roamin is the only player to show a profit on the year. Indian Hemp was up most of the year but has slipped back to the rest of the field. After that monster $3320 week Tom is up $1680 on the year with an ROI of 64%. Still he needs a winner or two to guarantee a profitable year. It's a tough game in the long haul. Still in the hunt after 29 weeks are Indian Hemp down $172, Cal828 down $360 and Ruffian down $602 despite two big wins in a row. 5 players have finished the year up over $2000 in the past. It must take a lot out of you to be so good for so long cause only one is still active and doesn't seem to be slowing down. From 5th to 1st we have Little Watermelon up $2040, Myrtle up $2063, NJ Stinks up $2339 (must have been the Kamloops year <grin>), Digger up $2780 (if you guys remember how Digger wagered I can't remember how he did it) and our all time leader Little Watermelon up $3010. All played more than half the seasons they posted these numbers in.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Havre de Grace

I guess it's possible to catch up, but we've got a little less time to do it. What is it, 20-21 weeks until the contest ends? Took me half the contest just to figure out which bets might be best for me. Nothing seemed to work for awhile. I doubt that anyone has to worry about me winning. My play is very streaky. Good play for awhile and then it all goes to a bad place and I never have a clue what I'm doing different than I did when I was winning.

I seem to be on a small winning streak now. Maybe, it will last for awhile, but I seriously doubt it.