Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Goodwood

Update: I just received a text from Dan requesting PPs for Belmont, Keeneland and Del Mar.

A sure sign he’s feeling better!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:43 AM
Hollywood Park

Default big ups to dan

take urself 4 wide and come storming down the lane and beat this ailment we are here for you talk read let us be ur saddle
Old 07-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Glad to hear he’s feeling better. Give him my best Mike.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 AM
Goodwood

Update from Dan’s wife: Dan is definitely feeling and doing better. It looks like he has turned the corner. He still has a long road ahead of him but there is much optimism.

I’m know he appreciates all of your well wishes.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:43 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Update from Dan’s wife: Dan is definitely feeling and doing better. It looks like he has turned the corner. He still has a long road ahead of him but there is much optimism.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Keeneland

Great news!
Old 07-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Oriental Park

Good to hear!
Old 07-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Saratoga

great news!!!
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post

Chatted with him Friday. Seemed upbeat and said he was losing all his money at Spa. Gilead drug seems to be helping and hopefully he’ll get home soon
Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM
Belmont Park

Hi All,
Just a quick note to thank each and everyone for your prayers and well wishes.

You all have no idea how much that means to me, and when I see you at the Spa next season (or Tampa Bay Downs 2020-2021) the beer is on me! Ok - wait a minute... one beer

I was traveling back and forth to Tucson AZ on business when, as it turns out, all of Pima county was a Covid-19 hotspot and sure enough, contracted it.

When I got home, I had most of the symptoms, though wasn't really feeling too bad. Got tested and sure enough, was positive.

That's when things began to unravel at a pretty rapid pace. Was admitted to the hospital about 3 days later because I could not catch my breath any longer.

Long story short - 26 days total in ICU, one step away from an induced coma and ventilator before I started to turn the corner.

I'm home now, 2 weeks isolation before they can start Physical Therapy (I've lost about 40 lbs of muscle mass and get winded just standing up, though that is getting better). Still on 02 though minimal amount until I can build the strength in my lungs back up.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Steve for the forum and Andy for the tremendous coverage of the Spa - one positive in all of this is I haven't missed a race this meet (though my bank acct. would disagree on this being a positive ) The NYRA team covering the meet has been nothing short of outstanding - I can't imagine how eerie and difficult it must be to show up each day without the fans. Hats off to all of them!

Lastly, and I hope by now we've all figured this out - If you are in the south or anyplace where this is prevalent - This virus does discriminate. In fact, it seems to be gunning for us middle-age fatties.

Please be careful, wear a mask, yada, yada, yada.... I'm fortunate - the only thing I've lost a good portion of the summer.

I know too many who never made it out of the hospital - many younger than me.

Thanks again everyone, let's hit some winners!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Steve Byk

Dan..

Yikes, but what a relief. I think we all figured it was a Covid bout and hearing the details should be sobering for everyone who feels invincible about it.

Take your time.. Get your strength back and be in shape for TBD '20-21!
Old 07-30-2020, 02:27 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Hi All,
Just a quick note to thank each and everyone for your prayers and well wishes.

You all have no idea how much that means to me, and when I see you at the Spa next season (or Tampa Bay Downs 2020-2021) the beer is on me! Ok - wait a minute... one beer

I was traveling back and forth to Tucson AZ on business when, as it turns out, all of Pima county was a Covid-19 hotspot and sure enough, contracted it.

When I got home, I had most of the symptoms, though wasn't really feeling too bad. Got tested and sure enough, was positive.

That's when things began to unravel at a pretty rapid pace. Was admitted to the hospital about 3 days later because I could not catch my breath any longer.

Long story short - 26 days total in ICU, one step away from an induced coma and ventilator before I started to turn the corner.

I'm home now, 2 weeks isolation before they can start Physical Therapy (I've lost about 40 lbs of muscle mass and get winded just standing up, though that is getting better). Still on 02 though minimal amount until I can build the strength in my lungs back up.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Steve for the forum and Andy for the tremendous coverage of the Spa - one positive in all of this is I haven't missed a race this meet (though my bank acct. would disagree on this being a positive ) The NYRA team covering the meet has been nothing short of outstanding - I can't imagine how eerie and difficult it must be to show up each day without the fans. Hats off to all of them!

Lastly, and I hope by now we've all figured this out - If you are in the south or anyplace where this is prevalent - This virus does discriminate. In fact, it seems to be gunning for us middle-age fatties.

Please be careful, wear a mask, yada, yada, yada.... I'm fortunate - the only thing I've lost a good portion of the summer.

I know too many who never made it out of the hospital - many younger than me.

Thanks again everyone, let's hit some winners!
Wow. Great to hear you are feeling better. I echo Steve's sentiments I hope your story wakes up anyone that still think it is a "Hoax".
Old 07-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Longchamps

I’ve been waiting for this post Dan and happy to see you back home. This stuff is no joke and wish more people would take it serious. Now on a lighter note I bet your most happy you have your tablet back so let’s start posting some winners!! Talk to you soon and hoping Tampa can be real for us in 2021.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:00 PM
Oriental Park

Great news Dan! Looking forward to our next group get together. Keep battling and get to 100% soon. If you need something, please reach out.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:47 PM
Morris Park

Great to hear you are on the mend. Now you have to have a few big days at the Spa!! Good Luck moving forward. Kenny P
Old 07-30-2020, 07:59 PM
Hollywood Park

Default dan

i kind of knoq what you went through,,i didnt have covid,,, i ended up with sepsis,,,13 days in saratoga hospital 105 temp for 97 hours,,,,,it ended up not attacking my lungs like you but it attacked my heart,,,2 prosedures so far albany med aug 3rd for 3rd procedure,,,,,,im so glad ur ok god bless