Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Hollywood Park

Default let me ask a question about m, franco

and please if im stupid for asking this please say so,,,,im not a smart as most on here,, but i was just thinking about this while driving

ok right now through 4 weeks many has 1.4 million in purses won so
lets take the travers out of there which i beleive he won 600 gand

so it get manny down to 800 in purses
he get 10% so hes made 80 grand in first 4 weeks so
if i read it right all jocks have to be at churchill by the 24th
so it gives manny 2 more weeks to ride at toga
using the avg hes made for himself 20 grand a week with out the travers in there
so when he goes to churchill he wont be able to ride 4 2 weks because of quarentine
if he stayd in toga and hit his avg those last 2 weeks
hed make another 20 grand,,,,hes basicly giving up 2 weeks of riding to quarentine to ride in derby,,,will anyone reimburse him for money lost while quarenting @ churchull? im sure ill get people shaking there head,, just a thought that popped in my mind thank you
Old 08-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Hollywood Park

Default im speaking of

maybe owners of horse,,, or smeone else
Old 08-11-2020, 07:06 PM
Delaware Park

With the Derby purse at 3 mil, and a win would be worth about 180k to him, 2nd would be about 60k
I have no idea of what mounts he usually has other than Tiz, but Fri and Sat at Churchill they have a little over 9 mil in stakes races

I'd go if was him
Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Keeneland

I’m not being a smart ass but who would or should reimburse him?

He’s on the prohibitive favorite for the Derby. Most if not all the riders in the country would like to be him right now.

I wonder if Churchill doesn’t rescind this or at least alter it a bit. It’s a lot to ask for riders to give up weeks, but we will see.

I’ll be shocked if they still let fans in.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:37 PM
Hollywood Park

Default dahoss i think your post was wat i was trying to say

franco is a bad example the post above you i didnt even think of he is on fav hes looking at 180,, maybe i should have said the guy who will be riding the 50 to 1 shot who has no chance to win you go down theree on the 24th cant do anything for 14 days,, no money earned and no chance to win on 50 to 1 shot,, i was just wondering other then riding in derby,, why would you do it,, and lose out on money earned if you stayed and rode thosee two weeks,,, i was thinking maybe owners of the horses they would be riding would compinsate some
Old 08-12-2020, 03:30 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I’m not being a smart ass but who would or should reimburse him?

He’s on the prohibitive favorite for the Derby. Most if not all the riders in the country would like to be him right now.

I wonder if Churchill doesn’t rescind this or at least alter it a bit. It’s a lot to ask for riders to give up weeks, but we will see.

I’ll be shocked if they still let fans in.
Churchill didn't announce ANYTHING about the jock protocols. Ron Flatter reported a discussion Churchill had with stakeholders as if floated ideas were a policy. That was preposterously premature.

They'll release the actual details of the jocks attending Derby Week in coming days.

In addition, Gov. Beshear addressed some of the Derby details in a press conference Monday and Tim Layden actually let some elements slip out yesterday on ATR including no infield and a patron limit of about 20,000.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:09 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post
franco is a bad example the post above you i didnt even think of he is on fav hes looking at 180,, maybe i should have said the guy who will be riding the 50 to 1 shot who has no chance to win you go down theree on the 24th cant do anything for 14 days,, no money earned and no chance to win on 50 to 1 shot,, i was just wondering other then riding in derby,, why would you do it,, and lose out on money earned if you stayed and rode thosee two weeks,,, i was thinking maybe owners of the horses they would be riding would compinsate some
My thoughts are this:

The longshots will likely have local jockeys riding them if it’s true that jockeys have to arrive 14 days ahead of time.

Any jockey that sits out two weeks at Saratoga would be doing it by choice. No one is forcing them to ride in the Kentucky Derby.

For any of the top jockeys, I really can’t feel bad. You broke it down that Manny Franco has made over $80,000 at Saratoga and that doesn’t include the Travers win. Losing out on two weeks of races is a big chunk of money, but they make a lot of money and it’s ultimately their decision if they want to take that risk.

But as Steve said above, we’ll see what the official protocols are soon enough.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 AM
Hollywood Park

Default thanks steve

im just not sure right now if crowds are a good idea
im just looking at that video of the kids in georgia walking in hallway and 11 of those students tested positive 1st day they estimated 103 people in tht photo and 11 tested positive,,, i wouldnt want to be in that derby crowd this year
Old 08-12-2020, 06:12 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post
im just not sure right now if crowds are a good idea
im just looking at that video of the kids in georgia walking in hallway and 11 of those students tested positive 1st day they estimated 103 people in tht photo and 11 tested positive,,, i wouldnt want to be in that derby crowd this year
Agreed. I think I’d be more surprised if fans are allowed than I would be if they go completely without fans.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:31 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Churchill didn't announce ANYTHING about the jock protocols. Ron Flatter reported a discussion Churchill had with stakeholders as if floated ideas were a policy. That was preposterously premature.

They'll release the actual details of the jocks attending Derby Week in coming days.

In addition, Gov. Beshear addressed some of the Derby details in a press conference Monday and Tim Layden actually let some elements slip out yesterday on ATR including no infield and a patron limit of about 20,000.
Letting 20,000 people in, in the middle of a pandemic seems dangerous to me. But it is Churchill soooooo....
Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Cahokia Downs

Default Franco

Its a fair question but as others said he's not likely to sit out a KY derby on a legit favorite. If he did to make more money for a few weeks (assuming that is fact ) he might also cost himself a Preakness & BC Classic ride ... lots of earning potential in near term