Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Santa Anita

A "rallying cry" based on a myth. What a load.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...up-113254.html

How many individuals with their hands in the air in surrender have been shot by police?

Meanwhile tax-cheat and White House consultant Sharpton cries out for "justice." I'm waiting for an explanation of exactly what that means...
Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
A "rallying cry" based on a myth. What a load.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...up-113254.html

How many individuals with their hands in the air in surrender have been shot by police?

Meanwhile tax-cheat and White House consultant Sharpton cries out for "justice." I'm waiting for an explanation of exactly what that means...
Juctice means donating more money to his cause.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Juctice means donating more money to his cause.
hey, gotta look out for number one...
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
hey, gotta look out for number one...
And he is no different than the Joel Osteen types that live a life of luxury at the expense of the poor in his flock that he has fleeced via brainwashing. If there was a Hell, I hope these types have a hot corner.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
And he is no different than the Joel Osteen types that live a life of luxury at the expense of the poor in his flock that he has fleeced via brainwashing. If there was a Hell, I hope these types have a hot corner.

charlatans, all of them.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Excuse me, didn't think it was an insult to say those ladies should be in Playboy..haven't seen a copy in years but recall all the ladies were beauties.
Oh, and i've said that a couple times in the past...but i will try to be more sensitive in the future..
Quote:
Hey, its the same thing as when you hear women say so and so should be in playgirl...its something I hear or see quite often....well
, if quite often means never. Its just a compliment!
Maybe it's me.

I don't know... a compliment would be to say a Victoria's Secret model or something like that. To me anyway...
Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Maybe it's me.

I don't know... a compliment would be to say a Victoria's Secret model or something like that. To me anyway...
Because the perception of a Playboy model objectifies women, and a Victoria's Secret model doesn't?

In reality, and to follow your logic, to pay any sort of a complement to any woman based solely on their looks should be considered "Sexist"

I love when people want tell others how to think, feel, and act based on what their perceptions are - because they are the ones that make complete sense.

Don't patronize him because he is old, he has every right to say that some of the women on Fox News are attractive enough to be in Playboy, and should not feel intimidated by the PC police to do so.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Because the perception of a Playboy model objectifies women, and a Victoria's Secret model doesn't?

In reality, and to follow your logic, to pay any sort of a complement to any woman based solely on their looks should be considered "Sexist"

I love when people want tell others how to think, feel, and act based on what their perceptions are - because they are the ones that make complete sense.

Don't patronize him because he is old, he has every right to say that some of the women on Fox News are attractive enough to be in Playboy, and should not feel intimidated by the PC police to do so.
I wasn't patronizing him and if he took it as such (Big Run if you took it that way) I am sorry.

Seems to me that older men think it's somehow cute.

I am not the PC police.

There IS a difference to me... one is done in very good taste and leaves much to the imagination. The other? Not so much but then honestly I have not seen an issue of Playboy in quite some time.

Really Rudeboy I keep my mouth shut so much of the time because I know whatever I say will be twisted around somehow...

I am pretty sure that Big Run knows exactly how I meant my comment to be taken. Sorry to disappoint if you're looking for an argument... I'm going back to the nice safe horsie threads.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I wasn't patronizing him and if he took it as such (Big Run if you took it that way) I am sorry.

I am not the PC police.

There IS a difference to me... one is done in very good taste and leaves much to the imagination. The other? Not so much but then honestly I have not seen an issue of Playboy in quite some time.

Really Rudeboy I keep my mouth shut so much of the time because I know whatever I say will be twisted around somehow...

I am pretty sure that Big Run knows exactly how I meant my comment to be taken. Sorry to disappoint if you're looking for an argument... I'm going back to the nice safe horsie threads.
No argument seeking from me - I was merely pointing out the nonsense of your irascible response to him over some ridiculous hyper-sensitivity you seem to have towards *words*, to the degree that you felt inclined to "school him" on the proper use of which words you find acceptable within that particular confine.

You are more than welcome to disagree.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I don't know about Christiane Amanpour but CNN's coverage of Ferguson was horrible, as that article stated. It couldn't have been any more slanted and biased. By default, Fox's coverage had to have been more professional. How could it possibly have been worse than CNN, whose reporters were just saying what they wanted to happen instead of reporting what was actually happening.
Haven't watched CNN since the first Gulf War and their coverage was great then, downhill since..any other news reporting had to be better..
Amanpour and Raddatz report the facts along with their input..both good at their jobs.
On another note, Stewart's opening last nite 'Instagate' featured the major players and their views including Fox news "reporters"..spotlight on Hannity
and their black and white views..His guest Judge-Napolitano gave him a zinger.

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Del Mar

Quote:

I am not the PC police.

No harm no foul...i am not thin skinned, a little wrinkled but thick

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
How fun would it be to see the faces of Joel Osteen's parishioners if he preached
Quote:
“we’ll tear this goddamn country apart!” “We going to die anyway. Let’s die for something,” and “Teach your baby how to throw the bottle if they can. Fight,” adding violence was justified by the “law of retaliation” in the Bible?
Thankfully, there are differences among religious leaders and in many cases; huge differences!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Del Mar

Even Lady Justice surrendered

Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Santa Anita

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Columbia Law School agreed to postpone exams for “traumatized” students in response to, in effect, a demand by “The Coalition of Affinity Group Student Leaders and Students of Color” at Columbia. Here is the full text of the Coalition’s statement:

Dear Columbia Law School Faculty and Administrators,

We are writing to you as students who have been deeply affected by the recent events in Ferguson, in New York, and across the country. As people of color, we have always had to maintain an awareness of the ways in which our bodies are policed by the state, are under constant threat of violence, and the ways in which we make sacrifices within the institutions of which we are a part in hopes of making the passage through this world, of our bodies and bodies like ours, easier. Recent events have severely impacted us and the need to respond has never felt more urgent.

We have been traumatized over and again by the devaluation of Black and Brown lives. We are falling apart.

In the midst of our trauma, we are, of course, still formally members of the Columbia Law School community. As student leaders of color at Columbia, we have been asked to bear the burden of educating the broader community about issues that have wreaked havoc on our psyches and lives, with some support and some dehumanizing moments of dismissal by our peers and faculty. Nonetheless, we have borne the burden and done so with unfailing grace.

We will not continue to be asked to make sacrifices in the name of informing the broader school community of our struggles without, in turn, demanding that the community care for us too.

Recent events have unsettled our lives as students. We have struggled to compartmentalize our trauma as we sit and make fruitless attempts to focus on exam preparation. We sit to study with the knowledge that our brothers and sisters are regularly killed with impunity on borders and streets; we sit to study with the understanding that our brothers and sisters are marching to have our humanity recognized and valued by a system that has continually failed us. We join marches with the looming anxiety that spending our time organizing events and attending rallies could put our studies and positions in the law school community in jeopardy.

Our trauma will be present with us on exam day, our trauma is inhibiting us from sleeping at night, and our trauma is ever-present among the words in our textbooks. Moreover, the violence that the law has done to Mike Brown and now Eric Garner is a legal violence that affects and implicates us all. We are now asked to use the same legal maneuvers and language on our exams this Monday that was used to deny justice to so many Black and Brown bodies. In being asked to prepare for and take our exams in this moment, we are being asked to perform incredible acts of disassociation that have led us to question our place in this school community and the legal community at large.

We write to you not only from a place of love and concern for ourselves, but also from a place of care and concern for our institution. We maintain some semblance of hope that our institution can be better; indeed, if we did not, we would not be so invested as community leaders. However, we know that Columbia Law School will not be better until its faculty and administration centralize the needs of its students of color. Accepting and matriculating students of color is not enough; we must also adopt and continue to reinvent strategies to make us feel at home here.

We feel that the institution we have worked hard to improve is failing us. Administrators at our peer institutions have reached out, unprompted, to students of color to acknowledge the hurt that many of their students are currently experiencing. We have yet to see that sort of response from our school community and it has left us feeling further devalued and isolated. Instead, Columbia’s Midnight Pancakes event took place as scheduled while students of color sat in tears and despair in the floor below or marched in the streets of New York City. The strategies currently in place to attract and retain students of color are in dire need of repair.

We need time to process and breathe. We need your support. We need it now.

We expect the following:

· 1. That faculty and administration recognize our trauma as legitimate and worthy of a response
· 2. That students who have been deeply affected by recent events be allowed to postpone exams
· 3. That an emergency event occur on Monday, December 8, 2015 for the administration, faculty, and students to discuss the concerns of students of color in the wake of recent events

We look forward to working with you to continue to make Columbia Law School a more welcoming place for students of color.

Signed,

The Coalition of Affinity Group Student Leaders and Students of Color
Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Hialeah Park

^^^^^

The Greatest Generation just puked
Old 12-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
^^^^^

The Greatest Generation just puked
that's ironic, since during ww2, the greatest generation in the military were still segregated.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
that's ironic, since during ww2, the greatest generation in the military were still segregated.
Ironic that segregated units of color, like the Tuskegee Airman and the 761st Tank Battalion showed so much fortitude and success under the segregated conditions they were subjected to while today, law students of color at Columbia are so distraught they are unfit for duty.

Guess that's why they were the greatest generation.