Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2020, 06:05 AM
The Curragh

Default New Jersey to Ban Riding Crop Use Except for Safety

From Bloodhorse:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ept-for-safety
Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Saratoga

I cant wait to see how consistent the stewards will be with this ridiculous "regulation"
Old 09-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Saratoga

"The new regulation states that stewards in New Jersey will be in charge of determining whether a jockey used the crop for a safety reason and will be able to fine or suspend a rider if they determine it was simply used to achieve a better finish"

I do believe I have wagered my last dollar in New Jersey....smh
Old 09-18-2020, 04:54 PM
Ellis Park

Default Very Dumb!😣

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
"The new regulation states that stewards in New Jersey will be in charge of determining whether a jockey used the crop for a safety reason and will be able to fine or suspend a rider if they determine it was simply used to achieve a better finish"

I do believe I have wagered my last dollar in New Jersey....smh
The New Crops are completely safe physically but I did not know the Stewards
were protecting them from fear!
Simple solution Ban them totaly or not but for someone to opine on the intent of a jockey using a whip during a stretch drive is ludacris and absurd.
Hopefully they are all trying to win or improve there position!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:07 PM
Oriental Park

I’m glad that they finally addressed the most important issue facing the sport.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I’m glad that they finally addressed the most important issue facing the sport.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:41 AM
The Curragh

Would anyone disagree that at least 95% of using the crop is to make the horse run faster? Is it really that hard to tell in a stretch drive when a horse is being hit to straighten out and when the horse is already running straight and being whipped to run faster?

As longtime fans and bettors, we forget that to a casual observer, our "sport" looks like a bunch of guys beating the crap out of horses to make them run faster. Maybe, with education, we can convince newbies that the whipping doesn't hurt that much. Okay, then our sport will look like a bunch of guys scaring the crap out of horses to make them run faster.

Meanwhile, we're telling people that these horses naturally love to run. Apparently they don't love to run fast enough.

The bottom line is that whipping horses to make them run faster looks cruel. It's always going to be hard to increase interest in a sport that has something that looks like animal cruelty. If you took away the whipping, you'd still have a level playing field.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Would anyone disagree that at least 95% of using the crop is to make the horse run faster? Is it really that hard to tell in a stretch drive when a horse is being hit to straighten out and when the horse is already running straight and being whipped to run faster?

As longtime fans and bettors, we forget that to a casual observer, our "sport" looks like a bunch of guys beating the crap out of horses to make them run faster. Maybe, with education, we can convince newbies that the whipping doesn't hurt that much. Okay, then our sport will look like a bunch of guys scaring the crap out of horses to make them run faster.

Meanwhile, we're telling people that these horses naturally love to run. Apparently they don't love to run fast enough.

The bottom line is that whipping horses to make them run faster looks cruel. It's always going to be hard to increase interest in a sport that has something that looks like animal cruelty. If you took away the whipping, you'd still have a level playing field.
Then they should ban the crops altogether....instead of giving the stewards the jurisdiction of judgement along with consistent rulings. Imagine your 20/1 speed on the lead hangs on to the wire by a head only to be taken down because a judge(s) determined the crop was used two times too many to better the finish....i will hold on to my betting dollars as far as New Jersey is concerned until I see consistency with the calls.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post

To the casual observer, golf looks like people hitting a ball and then walking after it and football looks like men running really fast into each other and giving themselves brain injuries and “ultimate fighting” can look barbaric.

Now, not all of those are the same and there are changes being made to some sports but I don’t believe any of those sports are changing to appease the casual observer. I know they aren’t perfect comparisons but there is always a balance between trying to draw in new fans while trying to keep existing fans happy.