Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Goodwood

I'm shocked and saddened... Dell was a great guy and we always had a blast together... I'll never forget taking over Ruth's Chris in Hollywood after the BC '09 with the Chicago boys. RIP Steve
Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
I'm shocked and saddened... Dell was a great guy and we always had a blast together... I'll never forget taking over Ruth's Chris in Hollywood after the BC '09 with the Chicago boys. RIP Steve
Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Oaklawn

Wow, such sad news. Many thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Saratoga

I'm painfully sorry for his family, his friends and for all who knew him.

Completely shocking.

I didn't know Dell at all save a few pm's of late but he added much to this forum and will so obviously be missed...just deeply sorry for him and for all those who loved him.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Jerome Park

Wow, that's very sad. The few times I was fortunate enough to see him it was always clear what a nice person he was.

My deepest sympathies to his many friends here.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Hialeah Park

Dell? OMG no....so so sorry....so so sorry
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 PM
Louisiana Downs

It's too soon to grasp this completely. The guy was a character. He worked for me for more than 25 years. There were so many trips, so many laughs, so much fun.

We shared a perserve, jaded sense of humor. Steve didnt have a malicious bone in his body yet nothing gave him more fun than to needle the hell out of people just to see the rise he could get out of them. He posted the dumbest, most outlandish opinions he could imagine here just to see what came back to him. He knew just about every burr under the saddle of every poster here. Once he knew where you parked your goat, he loved to take it for a walk. The recaps of some of these threads over beers at Arlington on Saturdays were always a highlight of the week. But in all honesty, he thought of you all as his friends......well, maybe not Revolt.

Mr. Byk, you had no bigger fan or more loyal follower than Steve Dellinger. He loved your shows, your DT forum and your friendship. When you mentioned him by name on your shows, he beamed for a week. He copied your daily selections and distributed them at the track and the OTB's. He swore by your bar-b-q and swore at your critics because he belived in you from day one. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you did for our dear friend.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post
It's too soon to grasp this completely. The guy was a character. He worked for me for more than 25 years. There were so many trips, so many laughs, so much fun.

We shared a perserve, jaded sense of humor. Steve didnt have a malicious bone in his body yet nothing gave him more fun than to needle the hell out of people just to see the rise he could get out of them. He posted the dumbest, most outlandish opinions he could imagine here just to see what came back to him. He knew just about every burr under the saddle of every poster here. Once he knew where you parked your goat, he loved to take it for a walk. The recaps of some of these threads over beers at Arlington on Saturdays were always a highlight of the week. But in all honesty, he thought of you all as his friends......well, maybe not Revolt.

Mr. Byk, you had no bigger fan or more loyal follower than Steve Dellinger. He loved your shows, your DT forum and your friendship. When you mentioned him by name on your shows, he beamed for a week. He copied your daily selections and distributed them at the track and the OTB's. He swore by your bar-b-q and swore at your critics because he belived in you from day one. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you did for our dear friend.
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and everyone else who knew dell can give each other the strength to get thru this terribly difficult time. I hope all the great memories you all have of him will help ease the pain and sadness.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:51 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post

Barney - very sorry for the loss of your friend. I will be in Saratoga later this week and will have a toast thinking of you all and in Steve's honor.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 AM
Saratoga

Sad news to wake up to. Dell could rip you to shreds in the politcs forum yet be the first to congratulate you in the selections thread. Im sorry I will never have that drink with him.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

RIP Dell.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Del Mar

He was my friend and like many of you, I never met him.

Still, that was my friend.

I will miss him. My heart goes out to all of you who knew him better.

Scott
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Hollywood Park

Our prayers go out to his family and friends.....
Old 06-23-2015, 05:30 AM
Bowie

another family member lost
Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Flemington

Wow, I'm stunned. don't know what to say. A huge loss for the DT community.
My heart goes out to his close friends and family.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Santa Anita

This is just utterly devastating news to hear, my condolences go to his family and many friends - I was so privileged to spend many a day / night with Steve (and was often his roommate on our trips) and he was such a ridiculously fun guy to be around win lose or draw - there are countless amazing memories to treasure! Future jaunts to the racetrack won't be the same without you

#Grand
Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 AM
Del Mar

Sad news, my condolences to his family and friends.

RIP
Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

dt has lost one of the best guys ive ever met.I just spoke to him sat from gulfstream.we were going over the cards from around the country.He sounded upbeat as usual.He was a great friend ,racetracker,and 'stand up' guy We had some great times over the years.breeders cups ,travers weekends,and just hanging at arlington.I as many who knew him,wont look at the drf again without thinking of him a bit. He will be missed by many.my deepest condolences to his family,and barney.

matt
Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 AM
Santa Anita

Such sad news... He was sharp and witty and that's just from what I saw of him here. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Dell.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:35 AM
5'8".. but all man!

This just sucks on so many levels. He was such a great dude. Had some great conversations with him back in the day about family, kids, etc.. The pic from Saratoga that Byk posted brought back so many great memories from that opening weekend in '07.

My heart goes out to his family, Barney, Bob, Hooves and the rest of the Chitown crew.