Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Saratoga

Treasury Bill to win, Super 99 off the board. (Using Carve and Den's Legacy underneath).

Oxbow is very pretty (oh be quiet I had to say that) but today won't be his day (now watch him win).
Old 03-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It's not normal to regularly have fields of 8+ where there's no superfecta. They only have supers on the 4th, 6th, and 9th on a regular weekday card. On a day like today, they have no super on the 1st (9 horses), 2nd (11 horses), 3rd (12 horses), 5th (11 horses), 7th (12 horses), and 8th (12 horses). That's lunacy.

They have only one Pick 4 and limited Pick 3s, as you referenced. The two daily doubles per day are well behind the times.

Oaklawn's biggest problem is they cater FAR too much to the local customers. That's nice of them, but it ignores racing in the modern day and goes a long way towards why 1/3rd of their handle on weekends is on-track.

They regularly handle less than Fair Grounds and Tampa Bay on Saturdays because they do a HORRIBLE job of managing their post times and have limited wagering options.

I like Oaklawn, but is a grossly mis-managed racetrack.
I agree with this completely. I enjoy playing Oaklawn when I am on track which is about once a year, but really find it hard to play it otherwise. Would it kill them to have rolling doubles? How about just having a double between the Azeri and the Rebel? Seems to me that modernizing their wagering options would go a long way to increasing handle.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Treasury Bill to win, Super 99 off the board. (Using Carve and Den's Legacy underneath).

Oxbow is very pretty (oh be quiet I had to say that) but today won't be his day (now watch him win).
Hopefully, Treasury Bill will only run good enough to get a big-day money jock put up on him. Pity the connections that have this jock on a huge day.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Just two. Oxbow and Will Take Charge.

"I felt pretty good 100 yards from the wire" Lukas said.

Last edited by herkhorse : 03-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM
The Curragh

The form of the Remsen horses doesn't seem to match the solid speed figure they earned.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:
Just two. Oxbow and Will Take Charge.
Nice pick
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloWishingwell View Post
Nice pick
Funny, I was only answering Herk's question about how many Lukas entrants were in the race. If only it were that easy!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Gulfstream Park

Virtually identical final times in the Azeri and Rebel yet a giant difference in the fractional times. Once again, Oxbow didn't win, but ran a superior race to the winner. As for the Azeri, how could a closer overcome the 1:14 1/5 pace and run down the two heavy chalks? My Miss Aurelia just isn't as good as many thought.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Funny, I was only answering Herk's question about how many Lukas entrants were in the race. If only it were that easy!
And this has been today's example of why context is important. If only the media could grasp this.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
As for the Azeri, how could a closer overcome the 1:14 1/5 pace and run down the two heavy chalks? My Miss Aurelia just isn't as good as many thought.
Tiz Miz Sue's performance was quite alarming. Hard to believe she was able to circle around the two favorites and win, both of them laid way off of the very slow early pace.

I wonder what kind of odds she would have traded at with four furlongs to go if we had In-Race Exchange betting.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
The form of the Remsen horses doesn't seem to match the solid speed figure they earned.
Technically speaking, that figure is solid ... the top three just haven't handled the long layoffs.

The Remsen figure was very fast the year To Honor and Serve beat Mucho Macho Man.

To Honor And Serve was a soundly beaten 3rd in each of his next two starts in Derby preps at Gulfstream. He was sixth in the Amsterdam in his next start after that. Ended up winning a pair of Grade 1 races later on, but was certainly no superstar.

Mucho Macho Man was 4th in the Holy Bull as a beaten favorite in his comeback. He was 2nd in last years BC Classic and has proven a very good horse on his day.

In more recent history, there are a lot of form reversals both ways with early season 3-year-olds. We've already had a 100/1 longshot win a major prep at FG. Will Take Charge was beaten 18 lengths by Super Ninety Nine a few weeks ago under a lot of very different circumstances -- It'smyluckyday was nowhere with a clear wide trip in the Delta Jackpot, he's blitzing them in Florida now.

Form can get pretty fickle with these delicate young horses.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.drf.com/sites/default/fil...nd%20Serve.pdf

http://www1.drf.com/tc/kentuckyderby...MachoManPP.pdf

Mountain Town, who finished 3rd in that Remsen, never ran another race.