Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 AM
The Curragh

Default Residence Inn Arcadia

I wasn't sure which topic section to post this in, so feel free to move it.

I'm just asking for some advice. Back in March I decided that I'd make a quick visit to CA for the Breeders' Cup in November. I knew that hotels within walking distance from Santa Anita would fill up very quickly, so I searched and found a two bed suite at the Residence Inn was available. I booked it there and then, received my booking confirmation as well as the confirmation that the hotel has received the one nights deposit to secure the room. I have saved all of that information.

Today I receive an email from the hotel to contact them about my reservation. After phoning several times to speak to "Breezy" who was never available I got through to a normal worker and said I wasn't getting off the phone until I was told what the problem was.

This lady told me that because of "long term guests extending their stay, and due to law they couldn't be relocated, my reservation was going to be transferred to their hotel in Burbank"........ that's 20miles away!!!!! I specifically booked this hotel to be close, in walking distance and not get caught up in the BC traffic!

Do I have a leg to stand on if I refuse to switch hotels? Do they have a right to do this after the booking and deposit have been confirmed?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Oriental Park

Well for one they are lying to you. How do they know the people will be extending there stay in November. Ask what they are going to do for your inconvenience. This happened to me once and I negotiated free transportation back and forth. I hate to say this but they sent this out to everyone and the people that pitch the biggest fit will have the best result.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 AM
The Curragh

Are they legally allowed to do this though? After a booking has been confirmed and the deposit has been paid?

I quite think the real reason is that because a group of VIPs have come along and offered $$$$$$$$ for the room(s).

I wouldn't mind usually, but I made the booking that far in advance because I knew rooms would fill up quickly. I booked a hotel in Arcadia because I knew traffic would be horrendous on both BC days, and transportation would be expensive.

The fact that the nominated transfer would be to a hotel in Burbank will mean a 40 mile round trip both days by taxi........ that will be very expensive. My visit is planned purely for the Breeders' Cup and I booked this location for a reason.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Hialeah Park

I have 2 rooms at Arcadia RI which I booked Nov 2011. I just reconfirmed - no problem so far.

Did you book directly with the Hotel or thru a 3rd party?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Oriental Park

I just googled your question. It appears that since you paid for one night that they have to provide that room for you. By paying you have a guaranteed reservation. I would call them and say since you paid for one night you will be staying there that night. Get the manager on the phone and tell him that. You may have no case for the unpaid night.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Ellis Park

I think they are legally ok to do this, but they should put you in a hotel at THEIR expense, and within the area......