Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Washington Park

Default Del Mar recommendations?

I'll be making a quick and casual visit to Del Mar for the August 12, 13 races.

I'm very excited. I'm a jaded traveler who has been to 50 states and 20+ countries, mostly via creative and cost-efficient travel, and business.

I've made it to Saratoga, and know well why it is revered. I'm attended all the Triple Crown races multiple times, and was there the days Seattle Slew won the Preakness, and then the Belmont.

But, I have never made it to Bing Crosby's Del Mar.

However, my wife just told me that for my August birthday she has purchased two tickets for us to fly to San Diego on Friday the 11th, then stay in Del Mar about two miles from the track.

Honestly, I'm about as excited over this birthday present as I was when I got my "Stingray" bike with the angel handle bars and banana seat when I was 8 years old (which pretty much gives away my age....to anyone my age!).

I'm thinking pretty much beach and horse activities for the weekend. Drinks and food at the beach, easy travel (taxi, shuttle?) to the race course, and two wonderful racing days of roaming the track and Del Mar grounds.

Brainless and effortless stuff.

(other than some fun handicapping).

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.....
Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

you can take a taxi /limo from the airport 30 min..its nice ..at least one day go to the san paulo club suit and tie ..hang out with robbin leach and eat shrimp..great buffet...view is nice...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Washington Park

Default hooves, thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
you can take a taxi /limo from the airport 30 min..its nice ..at least one day go to the san paulo club suit and tie ..hang out with robbin leach and eat shrimp..great buffet...view is nice...
hooves,

thanks! I'll be sure to pack a jacket and tie......!

I think we'll have a rental car from the San Diego airport to drive to the Del Mar hotel. I'll likely be looking to taxi/shuttle from the hotel to the race course. I understand our hotel is oceanview, and about two miles from the track.

Can't wait!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead

Hooves,

I'm copying up empty on the internet search for "san paulo club." Is that at the track? Or in the community of Del Mar?

Thanks, in advance!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Miller

Not sure as Restaurants lose their popularity quickly but when we ran horses at Del Mar afew years back we found Jakes as a horseman's spot.

http://www.jakesdelmar.com/
Old 07-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Miller

Don't know your prefences but if you are not one to wander all the time I would suggest ordering Reserved seating fom their website as things get hectic and especially on weekend it is nice to at least to park yourself part of the day.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Washington Park

Miller, thanks.

I normally am a wanderer at the track, but my wife is not.....so I'll take your advice on checking out a reserved seat.

For me, I can go almost an entire day at the track without sitting down.....maybe just leaning on a fence or wall somewhere.

I'm sure there are many here similar to me. I wander from the paddock, to the winner's circle, to the gate when it sets up in front of the stands, and then I like to view races from a handful of different viewpoints in the track. Throw in the trips to get beer and bet, and it's a pretty good day of exercise!

The restaurant sounds good, too. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:47 AM

sorry its a high end top o delmar rester....when you enter go to the left and ask its like 50bucks or so to get in..then dinner drinks but the view is unreal..and thats makes for a nice day.hope this helps..
Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM

its like a million room place...elevator up to a nicer life..at least temp..lol if you walk out of the club your on the second floor ..go right across the roof to look down on the paddock...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Washington Park

Hooves,

I get your drift, and I wanna go up to see what it's all about and I'm sure I'll appreciate the splendor and the view.

But that said, I know I'm darned happy roaming the paddock and the trackside fences, too.

:-)
Old 07-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default Dinner plans

Make reservations in LaJolla up the road a bit at THE BEACH HOUSE right on the Pacific Ocean at sunset.

When I was trainer for USA Basketball in 1992, we stayed at the Torrey Pines Hilton and this was a favorite of all the Dream Team players and coaches...great seafood and steaks.

Nothing like it!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Washington Park

Default del mar

As A Long Time San Diego Resident I Would Suggest Hanging Around The Blacktop Area Of The Track With The Locals. Im Headed There Next Week Myself And Cant Wait To Hit Robertos Tacos About 10 Min Up The 5 Freeway. Good Food Cheap And Good Hot Sauce. The Track Food Is Not Cheap So Bring A Wad And Hope The Longshots Are Hitting On That Day. Great Track To Check Out Babes So Bring Your Sunglasses With Your Wife Along! Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Washington Park

Storm Cadet,

Last time I was in La Jolla I climbed down the rickety steps and cliff to Black's Beach. It was either go down the steps, or walk in half a mile with the cooler.

I was touted to go there.

Nude beach, I was told.

It was 95% guys, when I arrived.

("not that there's anything wrong with that.....".......with a nod to "Seinfeld.")

But, if we make it back to La Jolla on this trip, I promise to check out your recommendation!

True story, walking back from Black's Beach on my first trip we didn't go back up the stairs, but walked the 1/2 mile to the State Park parking lot..

....and encountered a really nasty, angry and colorful SNAKE on the beach under the steps up to the paved parking lot.....

I used to raise snakes when I was a kid, so I wasn't too alarmed. I went in and got a ranger to handle the situation appropriately, and was thanked because the snake was poisonous.

That day made me a bit leary about going to La Jolla beaches in the future!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Washington Park

Default la jolla

If You Like Snobs Then Stay In Del Mar And La Jolla And Yes Blacks Beach Is Full Of Dudes. Used To Be Good About 20 Years Ago. Now The Locals Stay Away! I Think The Fish Market Is A Great Seafood Place Right Near The Track And Very Inexpensive. Check It Out.