Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Bricks and Uni

Scintillating performances by both Champions today. They are really a joy to watch. It’s so cool how they both “want at em”. I love when you see a smart hoss understanding what he or she needs to do and then doing it. Congratulations and also a good job by Brown having them ready to fire those shots today.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Washington Park

Agree. I think he has just taken the time and did whatever to let these be the best they could be. Just a tremendous training job with both of these. Good horses make good trainers, it's true. But good trainers can help good horses become great horses.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:13 AM
Sunshine Park

They put the screws to Bricks for about the first mile and an 1/8th and Irad still found a way to let the horse roll. Great to see.

Uni could be the most underrated turf horse around. What a late kick. Got Stormy ran great in defeat.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Ellis Park

Uni is the best
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why all the immediate bestowing of Horse of the Year upon Bricks and Mortar? Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding horse who did everything asked of him this year, but he is the best of a weak male turf division in this country. And in neither the Arlington Million nor BC Turf did he defeat any top class invaders. The best horse he beat all year might have been Robert Bruce.

If history is any guide, a turf horse will be named Horse of the Year only in the absence of a truly deserving dirt horse. From my perspective, the best horse in America in 2019, and the horse deserving of Horse of the Year, is Mitole. There were two highly anticipated "races of the year" in 2019: the Met Mile and the BC Sprint. Mitole won each of these impressively. He ran consistently faster, and against better competition. If we want to argue that people should not be afraid of having their horses lose races, then we should not hold his lone loss in the Vanderbilt, when caught in a vicious speed duel while on a dead rail, against him.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but why all the immediate bestowing of Horse of the Year upon Bricks and Mortar? Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding horse who did everything asked of him this year, but he is the best of a weak male turf division in this country. And in neither the Arlington Million nor BC Turf did he defeat any top class invaders. The best horse he beat all year might have been Robert Bruce.

If history is any guide, a turf horse will be named Horse of the Year only in the absence of a truly deserving dirt horse. From my perspective, the best horse in America in 2019, and the horse deserving of Horse of the Year, is Mitole. There were two highly anticipated "races of the year" in 2019: the Met Mile and the BC Sprint. Mitole won each of these impressively. He ran consistently faster, and against better competition. If we want to argue that people should not be afraid of having their horses lose races, then we should not hold his lone loss in the Vanderbilt, when caught in a vicious speed duel while on a dead rail, against him.
I agree with everything you said...BUT Klarman has been in the game for a long time and has run millions into the game forever without a morsel of acknowledgment or recognition. Save Steve and Andy and the people that know. If there was a time to be subjective, its with Bricks... Nobody can argue Mitole didn't have an unreal campaign and is a VERY deserving candidate for the award; I just think it's Klarman's time
Old 11-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I agree with everything you said...BUT Klarman has been in the game for a long time and has run millions into the game forever without a morsel of acknowledgment or recognition. Save Steve and Andy and the people that know. If there was a time to be subjective, its with Bricks... Nobody can argue Mitole didn't have an unreal campaign and is a VERY deserving candidate for the award; I just think it's Klarman's time
I agree that Klarman would be deserving of the award for outstanding owner; and Mitole winning Horse of the Year would do nothing to lessen that achievement.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 PM
The Curragh

Quote:

Could not agree more.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

Didn’t the sprint lose a lot of its luster when Imperial Hint scratched? Not sure I’d call it a race of the year.

I’m not sure I agree Mitole ran against better competition either. His Met was fantastic, but McKinzie probably wins with a clean trip. Aside from that he was beating up on Whitmore and Firenze Fire. Not exactly world beaters. He had excuses in the Vanderbilt but was soundly beaten.

Bricks going 6 for 6 and winning the race at Gulfstream, Turf Classic, Manhattan, Arlington Million and BC Turf is a pretty solid by today’s standards
Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Detroit Race Course

Running 6 times in a year is pretty good by today's standards.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Running 6 times in a year is pretty good by today's standards.
Is that what I said?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Is that what I said?
No, I was cracking wise based your comment about the races B&M won this year.

Sorry, I should have used instead.