Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Santa Anita

Default "PETA" by Donna Brothers; "Battuello" by Amy Hoffer

https://donnabrothers.com/2019/11/13/peta-is-a-bully/

I hope, as Jay Privman tweeted, that this ends up on a lot of desks, including politicians listening to the nuts. Donna's really got a gift for interweaving research with personal feelings and experiences. She lays out PETA's awfulness while humanizing horse racing.

Just when you think you've read everything, turns out I missed where PETA's head admitted taking a blind person's seeing eye dog away. I assume, given PETA's kill rates, that the dog was put down. Evil. If PETA's more exposed and on the defensive, it hurts their support and--what matters to them most, I'm sure--the donations that fund things like attacks on horse racing.

Last edited by Kasept : 11-15-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Churchill Downs

Yes PETA sucks, but I don't think a war with PETA is what horse racing needs. The less the words PETA and HORSE RACING are in the same article the better. Simply put, if you don't want them around, don't give them a reason to be around.

Last edited by Kasept : 11-15-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:54 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
Yes PETA sucks, but I don't think a war with PETA is what horse racing needs. The less the words PETA and HORSE RACING are in the same article the better. Simply put, if you don't want them around, don't give them a reason to be around.

btw....bad link.
You don’t get PETA. They would be around if we lost 0.0 horses. They exist for the sole purpose of lining the pockets of their directors under the Shield of protecting animals. There are many horse and animal rescues that truly care. Best Friends in Utah for instance. I was never at more peace than 2 years ago when I spent a couple days there shoveling horsesh*it and assisting in caring for-the animals before heading to Vegas for Breeders Cup. In summary PETA will always be there if they see an opportunity to solicit donations.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
You don’t get PETA. They would be around if we lost 0.0 horses. They exist for the sole purpose of lining the pockets of their directors under the Shield of protecting animals. There are many horse and animal rescues that truly care. Best Friends in Utah for instance. I was never at more peace than 2 years ago when I spent a couple days there shoveling horsesh*it and assisting in caring for-the animals before heading to Vegas for Breeders Cup. In summary PETA will always be there if they see an opportunity to solicit donations.
Ok, I guess...if thats what you think, it is what it is.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Ok, I guess...if thats what you think, it is what it is. To think that they get donations at a racetrack is out of the norm. The fans of racing know who the enemy is and I doubt they are going to get more than .50 cents. I also can say that out of the 1000's of races I have watched live at the racetrack I have never seen a PETA contingent there.
and yes, horse poop is wonderful. When I'm at the farm the air there is refreshing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_235711.JPG (72.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I have to disagree. PETA is waging war regardless so the industry may as well fight back. While I think this particular piece was a little too long winded, I think the general point of showing that PETA is a fraud and doesn’t actually care about horses is a good point to make.

I think we all know that some changes are coming. Do we want people who work with the horses every day and love them dearly steering the ship or do we want people full of mostly hot air leading the way? I think this is an important step to tell the general public - don’t listen to PETA. We know there are problems and we are going to do our best to fix them.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I have to disagree. PETA is waging war regardless so the industry may as well fight back. While I think this particular piece was a little too long winded, I think the general point of showing that PETA is a fraud and doesn’t actually care about horses is a good point to make.

I think we all know that some changes are coming. Do we want people who work with the horses every day and love them dearly steering the ship or do we want people full of mostly hot air leading the way? I think this is an important step to tell the general public - don’t listen to PETA. We know there are problems and we are going to do our best to fix them.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:01 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Precisely. This is an attempt to end racing but part of an overall constant attempt to get more money. Doing what we can to hamper their ability to solicit donations matters. The truth about their kill rate would affect their support with legislators and the willingness of the public to contribute to their supposed cause. People need to understand that if you have a pet, PETA stands against you. This isn't about being aghast at Santa Anita, and it never was.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Steve Byk

Superb follow up piece by Amy Hoffer who completely exposes the giant fraud that is Paul Battuello.

https://donnabrothers.com/2019/11/29...rofit-exposed/
Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Superb follow up piece by Amy Hoffer who completely exposes the giant fraud that is Paul Battuello.

Patrick, but he is a GIANT fraud. And his pizza sucks, which should be criminal in NY.

I’d love to see a protest in front of his pizza place. Certainly enough racing fans in the Capital District to make that happen.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Patrick, but he is a GIANT fraud. And his pizza sucks, which should be criminal in NY.

I’d love to see a protest in front of his pizza place. Certainly enough racing fans in the Capital District to make that happen.
I’m dying laughing here. I’ve never had his pizza but just checked the website and the fact that he charges uneven prices like $13.19 for a large pie with $1.62 per topping infuriates me for some totally irrational reason.

But anyway, I wouldn’t limit it to NY. Bad pizza anywhere is a crime, though perhaps with increased penalties in NY, NJ, and so on.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Churchill Downs

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

General observations...

I read the article and watched his sermon. He is obviously deeply convicted to his cause and I'm hoping that he is euthanized before all of the thoroughbreds. (IMO: One of the most beautiful animals that ever graced this earth) Any moron who says they want to make any animal extinct is not worthy of his own existence.However I wonder what made him such a hater to begin with. A traumatic experience maybe? Certainly He could use some psychological assistance.

Unfortunately this isn't the first wack-job to go off on a crusade to abolish things be it whales, immigrants, climate change, circuses, hunting, rodeos, etc... Pick a topic and there is likely someone who opposes it. So I had to do it and google it and I was right. However this is the best, a protest group that protects the right to protest!

https://www.proteusfund.org/piper/right-to-protest/

I'm not surprised at all because this is the world we live in now. Everything is online and everything is on camera, everybody has a picture, a story and a website.

I never even heard of that a-hole until I looked for some honest stats just a few days ago and now we are talking about him instead of solutions to problems. I find myself once or twice a year defending the sport and I will continue to do so.

I also hope horse racing also defends itself but because there is no single governing body I don't know how that can happen with any success.
If the haters use the internet and state legislature to attack the sport, racing should do the same to defend it and more. We can all agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to reduce fatalities but that answer still eludes the industry.

Who will be our defender(s) that is willing to fight for the sport? I don't know but we need a serious go to guy.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Who will be our defender(s) that is willing to fight for the sport?
Donna Brothers, Amy Hoffer, Steve, you, me....anyone who understands that while everything isn’t kosher all of the time, we are (hopefully) heading in the right direction.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Donna Brothers, Amy Hoffer, Steve, you, me....anyone who understands that while everything isn’t kosher all of the time, we are (hopefully) heading in the right direction.
Agreed. Its not any easy job and probably no one wants it. I do feel the sport needs a comprehensive overhaul from breeding to racing to retirement.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
...and Happy Holidays to you.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
General observations...

I read the article and watched his sermon. He is obviously deeply convicted to his cause and I'm hoping that he is euthanized before all of the thoroughbreds. (IMO: One of the most beautiful animals that ever graced this earth) Any moron who says they want to make any animal extinct is not worthy of his own existence.However I wonder what made him such a hater to begin with. A traumatic experience maybe? Certainly He could use some psychological assistance.

Unfortunately this isn't the first wack-job to go off on a crusade to abolish things be it whales, immigrants, climate change, circuses, hunting, rodeos, etc... Pick a topic and there is likely someone who opposes it. So I had to do it and google it and I was right. However this is the best, a protest group that protects the right to protest!

https://www.proteusfund.org/piper/right-to-protest/

I'm not surprised at all because this is the world we live in now. Everything is online and everything is on camera, everybody has a picture, a story and a website.

I never even heard of that a-hole until I looked for some honest stats just a few days ago and now we are talking about him instead of solutions to problems. I find myself once or twice a year defending the sport and I will continue to do so.

I also hope horse racing also defends itself but because there is no single governing body I don't know how that can happen with any success.
If the haters use the internet and state legislature to attack the sport, racing should do the same to defend it and more. We can all agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to reduce fatalities but that answer still eludes the industry.

Who will be our defender(s) that is willing to fight for the sport? I don't know but we need a serious go to guy.
Our new National pastime is no longer baseball or football. It is Gaslighting and the endorphin shot of outrage that ensues.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:47 PM
Saratoga

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/...653747714?s=21