Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
This country is still the number one manufacturer in the world, but the corresponding jobs aren't there.
Again why let facts get in the way?

Quote:
China became the largest manufacturing country in the world, overtaking the U.S. in 2010.

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_US/u...56f70aRCRD.htm
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
Sorry it's probably too abstract for you to understand.

Similar to asking the WalMart Greeter where the printer ink is.

But as long as Danzig says more people are going to college it's all good.

Even though we know over 50% of young African American males in Chicago drop out of high school.
Nah.. It's you Dell all that Private School learning and you have the reading comprehension of a sixth grader. When in doubt obfuscate the issue with a straw man. You counter Danzig fact with a statistic that may be true but has nothing whatsoever to do with disproving her statistic. The only fool you are fooling with this tactic is yourself.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
You counter Danzig fact with a statistic that may be true but has nothing whatsoever to do with disproving her statistic. The only fool you are fooling with this tactic is yourself.
Geez and I thought when Danzig wrote and I quote, "This country is still the number one manufacturer in the world" she meant the U.S.

Or in your mind is Danzig a better source than the world's largest accounting firm?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
Geez and I thought when Danzig wrote and I quote, "This country is still the number one manufacturer in the world" she meant the U.S.

Or in your mind is Danzig a better source than the world's largest accounting firm?
Wasn't addressing what you are commenting about but don't let that stop you
Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Jms, your quoting dell defeats the ignore feature.....

Google is useful. One would find stats indicating college now vs decades ago...including the fact that in the early 70s, 11% of americans had degrees. Its now 33% and rising, with 75% of hs grads now going to college.
One would also see that more and more people are now underemployed. But im sure its their own fault....
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Keeneland

How about the government distributing the $23.45 billion sales tax it takes in from WalMart sales every year?

Divided between WalMart's 525,000 hourly employees giving them each $44,666 or a $22.20 per hour raise.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Jms, your quoting dell defeats the ignore feature.....

Google is useful. One would find stats indicating college now vs decades ago...including the fact that in the early 70s, 11% of americans had degrees. Its now 33% and rising, with 75% of hs grads now going to college.
One would also see that more and more people are now underemployed. But im sure its their own fault....
People with Masters and PHD's are unemployed now too. That's what you get for leaving an H1B program in place to fix a problem 15 years longer than necessary.

This board is way too boring when I let you ignore Dell
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Keeneland

Then give them back the income tax the corporation pays, $8 billion a year.

Another $15,238 per employee or an additional $7.60 an hour
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Dee Tee Stables

and, should one ask google what country is the number one manufacturer...why, its the us.

A recent stat showed we were outpacing china by 40%.

But....much like some believe the earth is 6000 years old, one can choose to believe what they wish regarding jobs, college, and the changes regarding buying power, what is making us more productive with less employees, wages and the like.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
People with Masters and PHD's are unemployed now too. That's what you get for leaving an H1B program in place to fix a problem 15 years longer than necessary.

This board is way too boring when I let you ignore Dell
I loathe repeating myself to someone with their fingers in their ears yelling lalala. Swift is correct about reasoning with people who dont use reason. So i gave up

Underemployment is a huge issue....there are people with a lot of education who are questioning their decision to go to college, because they cant find a job...or cant find one that pays. So they take what they can get while hunting for better.....thus, they are lazy....right? Where my husband works, less jobs, more automation, same output. Less than half the jobs they once provided..with robots doing more and more work.
Then, as prices have risen, wages have not. Again, google and see the study of a car price in the 60s vs now, and the workers ability to buy that car vs now.

Or....one can just say thats all not so. But it is so
Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Keeneland

With an additional $12/hour average salary paid by WalMart we now have WalMart employees making $41.80/hour or $86,944/year.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I loathe repeating myself to someone with their fingers in their ears yelling lalala. Swift is correct about reasoning with people who dont use reason. So i gave up
Too bad it wasn't before the PETA thread.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Jms, i also wonder if people get their degree...cant find a job, so they go back to school and aork on masters, doctorates, thinking thatll help(and one hasnt got to pay student loans while in school) so now they have even more education...and still, one job for every three applicants.
We have made huge strides in technology, to keep up with demand, while hurting the very people our increasing technology is meant to help. I watch shows like modern marvels, tha5 show machines cranking out prudct at amazing rates...and wonder how many people used to do the jobs these machines do now. It used to be that if you needed to produce more, you hired more people or added shifts or built another factory. Now, you just install another machine.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Saratoga

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014...#disqus_thread

This will certainly help wages
Old 04-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Saratoga

Moved
Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Note that 40 years ago when CEO's were paid 10x Average employee rather than 10000 times we were not in this situation.
I think you just may have stumbled onto something..

Median US Household Income: $12,132
Minimum Wage: $2/hr.
Federal Poverty Threshold: $2,658 or 21% of Median Household Income
Mean Sat Scores 521 Verbal/505 Math 1026 total
Poverty Rate: 11.2%
Total Budget: $453.2 Billion
Total Welfare Spending: $40.1 Billion or 8.8% of Budget Spending

Median US Household Income: $51,017
Minimum Wage: $7.25/hr.
Federal Poverty Threshold: $11,670 or 23% of Median Household Income
Mean SAT Scores 496 Verbal/514 Math 1010 total
Poverty Rate: 15%
Total Budget: $3.5 Trillion
Total Welfare Spending: 500 Billion or 14.2% of Budget Spending

When comparisons are made I concede that while Median US Household Income has had a 420% increase minimum wage has increased 362% lagging behind. By raising minimum wage to $8.40 it then has kept up equally with Median Income.

In order to make today’s poverty threshold in line with 1974 we need to lower it from $11,670 to $10,713 (21% of $51,017)

SAT Scores variation of 16 points or 1.5% is not of great concern especially when you consider math scores going up.

Pretty sure when the new poverty threshold number is lowered to $10,713 that 15% will become close to 11.2%.

While the median household income increased 420% the Total Budget has increased by 772%. This likely the root cause of our current national debt predicament. By returning the budget to numbers in line with median household income levels rising (420%) we come up with a $2.1 Trillion budget saving $1.4 Trillion a year.

Lastly when adjusting total welfare spending to be in line with the 1974 rates we reduce spending from $500 Billion to $185 Billion or 8.8% of total revised $2.1 trillion budget.

By simply returning to 1974 standards we raise minimum wage by a $1.15/hr. and save $1.4 Trillion a year changing a $680 billion deficit into a $720 billion surplus.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/total_spending_2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT_Reasoning_Test
http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/17/news...overty-income/
http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Keeneland

Welfare Spending increase from 1974-2013

1,246 percent or four times the increase of Median Household Income

Take another bow America!!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Belmont Park

yeah but Dell you didn't get the memo that paying people a ridiculously high minimum wage is going to fix 'Merica cuz a biased study subsidized by organized labor said so.
Oh, and the federal tax subsidies will automatically stop too because if they pay out more money then they won't need to raise prices or won't need as many tax breaks which in turn will be voluntarily given back to the tax payers ...or something.....Wait... maybe it was that they would need to raise prices and spur hyper-inflation AND need more tax subsidies because they have less dollars coming in....but that's all ok, because then the minimum wage workers would get a few dollars less back on their 1040EZ which makes us all winners...or something.

I'm sorry...Removing common sense gets confusing. My apologies.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
yeah but Dell you didn't get the memo that paying people a ridiculously high minimum wage is going to fix 'Merica cuz a biased study subsidized by organized labor said so.
Oh, and the federal tax subsidies will automatically stop too because if they pay out more money then they won't need to raise prices or won't need as many tax breaks which in turn will be voluntarily given back to the tax payers ...or something.....Wait... maybe it was that they would need to raise prices and spur hyper-inflation AND need more tax subsidies because they have less dollars coming in....but that's all ok, because then the minimum wage workers would get a few dollars less back on their 1040EZ which makes us all winners...or something.

I'm sorry...Removing common sense gets confusing. My apologies.
Sucks when numbers and facts get in the way of a perfectly good movement.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:58 AM
Saratoga

Hyper inflation ? Pretty funny stuff. Raise your prices and see how many people line up to buy what you are selling. I am going to see you raising your prices and not raise mine and crush you. The Hyper Inflation scare tactic against raising the minimum wage is quite tired. You need to seriously worry about DEFLATION like during the Great Depression. We have wealth concentraion that is approaching the level it was prior to the start of the great depression. All we need now is a triggering event for the middle class to shut down spending on everything but the bare necessities of life.

Having said this I am in the camp of raising the minimum wage similiar to what Dell suggested not some absurd doubling.

Last edited by jms62 : 04-19-2014 at 05:11 AM.