Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2023, 12:02 PM
The Curragh

Default ROI Results 1/28 @ Gulfstream

Pegasus had wings and he could fly to the finish line. Our group soared like the WKRP
turkeys (season 1, episode 7). Need I say more other than to age myself further. The
highlights of the Pegasus card were Cruzan coming close and Zippy hitting an exacta
which I thought was a little on the light side. As Cal pointed out we are not really setting
the bar very high this season so far. Hopefully the best is yet to come. Following are
the unofficial results pending the "Official" sign. Better luck next week wherever we wind
up. And in my best Car 54 voice......"Eclipse where are you?"

Cruzan -$2.50 R4. # 7 $25 Win $7.80 X 12.5... $97.50

Zippy -$35.00 R7 $2exbx 2-5-7-10... $65.00

DonGuido -$96.00

Cal828 -$96.00

Real Quiet -$100.00

Indian Hemp -$100.00

NJ Stinks -$100.00

Ruffian -$100.00

Digger -$100.00

Joly B -$100.00
Old 01-31-2023, 01:21 PM
Oriental Park

Another tough day at the office.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:24 PM
Havre de Grace

The Pegasus card, especially those last 2 races, was pretty tough so maybe we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. On a more positive note, should the points winner, decide to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak, the Gulfstream card for this Saturday doesn't seem nearly as difficult. Famous last words, possibly.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:31 PM
The Curragh

Almost Ironic Synchronicity

My Home Is Filled With Pegasus Items
~~~~ Every Room And Wall
Statues And Paintings

Cant Stand Unicorns

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 01-31-2023, 02:49 PM
Havre de Grace

Don't know what happened to Eclipse. I think she said something about selling her house. Maybe she's been busy finding a new one. I thought about enticing her back by offering some pointers on how to play, but lately I probably need someone to give me some of the same. Hope she wasn't embarrassed by her play. No need to be. This is a game that takes eons to learn to play and even then, as we all well know, it can be humbling. Hope she returns. Also, where is Roamin? Am I the only one who doesn't know? Hope he is ok.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:50 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
The Pegasus card, especially those last 2 races, was pretty tough so maybe we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. On a more positive note, should the points winner, decide to return to the scene of the crime, so to speak, the Gulfstream card for this Saturday doesn't seem nearly as difficult. Famous last words, possibly.
Since the feature at GP this Saturday is the Holy Bull, and there are a number of other graded stakes with decent sized fields, there is a reasonably good chance that we would not have to check out of our hotels but remain in sunny South Florida. (Given the cold snap headed my way, I'm all for warmth.) That will give us an opportunity to test your theory. Usually when I say that about a race card, I'm headed for the ATM by about the 6th race.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:52 PM
Havre de Grace

I agree with you Joly on that warmth thing as Hot Springs is not so hot today. Actually we’re in the middle of an ice storm which doesn’t seem as bad as I thought it might be, but might get worse later on as the sleet tends to freeze overnight making roads more treacherous the following day than when it originally fell. Sorry for anyone that has to be out in it, but happy that I don’t have to be. I will be cozily in my little house enjoying a copy of John Grisham’s latest novel.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:58 PM
Oriental Park

And I'll triple that suggestion!!!
Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 AM
The Curragh

Feb. 1st and this morning we got our first snow of the season. It's been a weird winter here in NJ.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:50 AM
The Curragh

RQ
1st SNOW

TO HELP PHIL SEE HIS SHADOW TOMORROW

Old 02-01-2023, 11:49 AM
Lincoln Fields

Nice try everyone!!! Better days are ahead! Thanks for scoring Pete!!!
Old 02-01-2023, 05:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN View Post
RQ
1st SNOW

TO HELP PHIL SEE HIS SHADOW TOMORROW
I've never placed much stock in the prognostications of either Punxsutawney Phil or Chuckles XI (who is the current Connecticut official ground hog - yup, Ground Hog Day is big business in lots of places). The logic of his seeing his shadow on a bright sunny day meaning 6 more weeks of winter, but if it is cloudy or snowy or sleeting, then he won't see his shadow and spring will arrive early seems wrongheaded to me.

On the other hand, being a lifelong baseball fan, I use as a sure sign of spring the fact that Pitchers and Catchers Report on Feb 13 and position players report on Feb 16. With spring training beginning, can spring be far behind?
Old 02-01-2023, 10:14 PM
Oriental Park

JB, I'm right there with ya on having this ground hog shadow thingy backwords but hey, "when you'fre up you're up and when you're down you're down but when you're only half way up your neither up nor down."

The above is credited to an old English Nursery rhyme ans song. Not many things ake this much sense anymore . . . and I must say one of my 7th grade educated father's favorite sayings to me when i was young . . . Another was "ya don't want to be dumb unless ya show it". Each presented in light of the basis of Grounhog Day!
Old 02-02-2023, 10:26 AM
The Curragh

RQ
“ It's been a weird winter here in NJ.“

I’LL SEE YOUR “ WEIRD “
AND RAISE YA WITH BIZARRE

ONE DAY SNOW ⛄️
2 DAYS LATER 60°

COLORADO HAS AVERAGE 300 DAYS OF SUNSHINE 🌞
AS FLORIDA HAS OVER 100 DAYS OF RAIN ☔️

SO WHO REALLY IS
THE SUNSHINE 🌞 STATE 🤫🙄😼

Old 02-02-2023, 10:29 AM
Havre de Grace

Wow, my Dad was down right educated compared to yours. Mine made it to the 8th grade then went to work in the oil fields at 14. I'm not sure that would even be legal today. I wonder whether that falls under laws that prohibit child labor. At any rate, it was good for my Dad as he was employed and even prosperous right through the Depression and when World War two came along, he didn't have to go to the military because the production of oil was an essential industry.

As for early signs of Spring, I think of it as vegetable and not animal. First signs of Spring in the South are some sort of blooming white trees. I've always wondered what they really are. It occured to me that they might be some sort of wild apple or plum, but internet says they are called Serviceberry trees which I have never heard before. Learn something new every day even when you're an old curmudgeon like me.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:35 AM
The Curragh

CAL
Serviceberry ( Amelanchier spp.) are large shrubs or single- or multi-stemmed small trees. They are used as specimen and key plants in landscapes as well as in group plantings as borders, backdrops and screens. Serviceberry provides year-round interest in white spring flowers, yellow to red fall foliage, smooth gray bark, and edible purple fruit.
Serviceberry | UMN Extension

MY DAD WAS A PRIVATE DETECTIVE 🕵️*♂️

KILLED BY MAN RUNNING STOP SIGN 🛑 💔

Old 02-02-2023, 11:26 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN View Post
CAL
Serviceberry ( Amelanchier spp.) are large shrubs or single- or multi-stemmed small trees. They are used as specimen and key plants in landscapes as well as in group plantings as borders, backdrops and screens. Serviceberry provides year-round interest in white spring flowers, yellow to red fall foliage, smooth gray bark, and edible purple fruit.
Serviceberry | UMN Extension

MY DAD WAS A PRIVATE DETECTIVE ��️*♂️

KILLED BY MAN RUNNING STOP SIGN �� ��
Yes ma'am, I read about a paragraph about the Serviceberry plants. I've never seen so many words in one paragraph that I had no clue of the meaning. Obviously, meant for persons far more acquainted with Botany than I, but I did find it interesting that Serviceberry plants had about a half a dozen other names and among them Saskatoon. I knew that to be the name of a town in either Alaska or Canada and sounded like it might be Native American in origin which led to another internet search which revealed it to be in Alberta and to have come from a Cree word for the Serviceberry plant.

I have entirely too much time on my hands.

Sorry, about your Dad. I was once T-boned by an old guy running a stop sign. I wasn't hurt. I was driving a used Cadillac which was a very heavy almost tank like car. Probably saved me from serious injury. Force of the impact which struck my car in the rear side panel turned my car in the opposite direction to that I had been travelling and broke the rear axle of my car.

Last edited by cal828 : 02-02-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:55 AM
Oriental Park

The papers are full of news about bad weather in Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma. I'm hoping that the snow, sleet, freezing rain and ice storms haven't affected our friends who live in that area, although the number of power outages has been alarming. Hope all of you stay warm and safe through this spell of bad weather.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:30 AM
Oriental Park

Just like the great song in "Annie" . . . "The sun'll come out tomorrow", it's tomorrow today and the beautiful warmimg sun is out in all its glory!!! YEA!!!!!!! I hope the deep freezze looming in the north and northeast does not cause any discomfort or harm to anyone.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:05 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
Wow, my Dad was down right educated compared to yours. Mine made it to the 8th grade then went to work in the oil fields at 14. I'm not sure that would even be legal today. I wonder whether that falls under laws that prohibit child labor. At any rate, it was good for my Dad as he was employed and even prosperous right through the Depression and when World War two came along, he didn't have to go to the military because the production of oil was an essential industry.

As for early signs of Spring, I think of it as vegetable and not animal. First signs of Spring in the South are some sort of blooming white trees. I've always wondered what they really are. It occured to me that they might be some sort of wild apple or plum, but internet says they are called Serviceberry trees which I have never heard before. Learn something new every day even when you're an old curmudgeon like me.
My dad went to work in his father's barbershop and later had his own shop, making enough to provide but not much more. He served in the Navy in WWII and the Korean War as the ships barber and was a "dfamage Control" team leader. He cut hair for just over 50 years, that's a lot of standing on your feet and talking and he loved to talk to his customers. He used to brag about my baseball playing years growing up to the point of annoyance I'm sure. After he quit, age 65, he moved from Endicott, NY to Clemson to be near us. I was happy thay he lived long enouhg to see me graduate from Clemson and go on to Rice University for my Masters. He passed away halfway through my second year at Rice, smoking all his life and cancer finally got him. My mother died when I was 10. Most importantly everyone that new Al the barber loved him. That in itself is special and something for me to be proud of.