Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2022, 10:10 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITF View Post
Thank you. I enjoyed it.

Great Breeders Cup.
Glad you enjoyed it because you sounded like a moron.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
It sucks he raced by appointment; he should never be confused with all-time great racehorses because he never ran enough to be considered for that company. His 12 minutes on the track identified him as unique a talent as I have ever seen.
This is well said. He’s incredibly talented.

I think he sets a bad example going forward because I imagine we would have seen similar brilliance from more than a few horses over the last 25 years if they only ran 3 times a year.

That and GrEaTeSt HoRsE eVeR nonsense by people who should know better is over the top. He ran a 121 today. Very similar to Ghostzapper, et al. I read someone say he would have beaten Secretariat by 5 lengths in Secretariat’s Belmont. We’ve reached the point where logic is out the window.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:33 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
This is well said. He’s incredibly talented.

I think he sets a bad example going forward because I imagine we would have seen similar brilliance from more than a few horses over the last 25 years if they only ran 3 times a year.

That and GrEaTeSt HoRsE eVeR nonsense by people who should know better is over the top. He ran a 121 today. Very similar to Ghostzapper, et al. I read someone say he would have beaten Secretariat by 5 lengths in Secretariat’s Belmont. We’ve reached the point where logic is out the window.
On NBC, the stat guy, I don't remember his name, but he said somebody did figures on Secretariat's Belmont and his beyer would have been around 139.
I knew Flightline was a nice horse but didn't expect the dominance he showed today.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:40 AM
The Curragh

Did literally everyone in the world forget Ghostzapper? He raced after Secretariat, didn’t he?
Old 11-06-2022, 05:01 AM
Saratoga

We are in the age of Nano-Second attention span. We need a "Greatest Ever" on a weekly basis.Ole Rockhard (RIP)was famous for crowning "Greatest Evah's"

Damar Hamlin
Old 11-06-2022, 05:30 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
It sucks he raced by appointment; he should never be confused with all-time great racehorses because he never ran enough to be considered for that company. His 12 minutes on the track identified him as unique a talent as I have ever seen.

Horse is a freak, but you're a great when you're challenged to do it consistently and not once every four months. He's won as many G1 races in his career as Anamoe has won in the past 2.5 months alone (it's clear who's the "better" horse, but that's not the point)
Old 11-06-2022, 06:14 AM
Belmont Park

After the race yesterday, I thought about AP's BCC. Everyone, including me, was bummed Liam and Beholder didn't challenge him and used that to add perspective to his 120 front-running gallop. If Liam's Map had busted a gut for 3Qs as Life is Good, it is very possible AP would have done exactly what Flight Risk did. Is it likely that Beholder was better than Olympiad or Taiba and ran down AP? Both races are comparable, except one horse campaigned, another was spotted, and the a significant age difference. So for me, Flight Risk may be the greatest horse to never be campaigned, now take into account he is sound as a tack and you wonder why the heck it had to be this way.

Just my two cents. Glad I saw him run
Old 11-06-2022, 01:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Some people need to see things and some want to see things. I definitely would have wanted to see him run more but I don't need to see it to know what I'm watching. Each subsequent race would have been more for the purpose of confirmation/validation than it would have been for proof. Let's say he didn't retire and came back next year with six races. Say he won all six but none of them were as brilliant as his first six races. How does that make him better? That's the part I don't get. He is what he is. I judge them based on how good I think they are at their best. If you want to talk about best career, that's a completely different argument. But most talented? I think we can determine that in just six starts. Maybe less.

There was a horse in Europe in the mid 1990s named Lammtarra. He broke his maiden in August of his 2yo season. Didn't run again for 302 days until the Epsom Derby. Won that race in course record time. Then won the King George and the Arc (over Freedom Cry and Swain). He retired with four starts, four wins.

Imagine what we would be saying about an American horse that breaks his maiden in August then doesn't race again until the Kentucky Derby. Wins that then comes back to win the Whitney in his next start then finishes with a win in the BC Classic.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-06-2022, 01:45 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Some people need to see things and some want to see things. I definitely would have wanted to see him run more but I don't need to see it to know what I'm watching. Each subsequent race would have been more for the purpose of confirmation/validation than it would have been for proof. Let's say he didn't retire and came back next year with six races. Say he won all six but none of them were as brilliant as his first six races. How does that make him better? That's the part I don't get. He is what he is. I judge them based on how good I think they are at their best. If you want to talk about best career, that's a completely different argument. But most talented? I think we can determine that in just six starts. Maybe less.

There was a horse in Europe in the mid 1990s named Lammtarra. He broke his maiden in August of his 2yo season. Didn't run again for 302 days until the Epsom Derby. Won that race in course record time. Then won the King George and the Arc (over Freedom Cry and Swain). He retired with four starts, four wins.

Imagine what we would be saying about an American horse that breaks his maiden in August then doesn't race again until the Kentucky Derby. Wins that then comes back to win the Whitney in his next start then finishes with a win in the BC Classic.
Remind me...how many people in Europe (or anywhere) consider Lammtarra to be the best horse ever?

Whether you like it or not, there is a lot to be said for showing up more than 3 times a year. Obviously the game is way different now, but if a horse like Skip Away ran today, what would his career look like? How about Spectacular Bid? Cigar?

I could keep going but you get the point. Flightline is an amazing horse. One of the most talented in recent times and had the potential to be an all timer. I just can't put him in any all time category because he didn't run enough.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:05 PM
Keeneland

https://twitter.com/RacingDFS/status...63749088964609
Old 11-06-2022, 02:17 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Remind me...how many people in Europe (or anywhere) consider Lammtarra to be the best horse ever?

Whether you like it or not, there is a lot to be said for showing up more than 3 times a year. Obviously the game is way different now, but if a horse like Skip Away ran today, what would his career look like? How about Spectacular Bid? Cigar?

I could keep going but you get the point. Flightline is an amazing horse. One of the most talented in recent times and had the potential to be an all timer. I just can't put him in any all time category because he didn't run enough.
I'm proud to have heckled the Sheik at the 1995 BC at Belmont for not bringing Lammtarra.

I used to have some balls.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

We would be saying he was a fast laimo
Old 11-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I really hope people watched and enjoyed that. Flightline is a hell of a horse. The 6f fraction popped up at 1:07 and change. That can't be right.
At least myracehorse didn’t have a piece of him. The commercials would have been unbearable. “The greatest horse since Secretariat is a horse of the common man. For a paltry sum you too can join in the fun”
Old 11-09-2022, 02:41 PM

Mr Serling, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind, can you give your opinion of Life is Good's race in the Classic and although I know it's only speculation, how do you think he would have done if Flightline wasn't in the race?

Thank you in advance.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-09-2022, 05:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Mr Serling, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind, can you give your opinion of Life is Good's race in the Classic and although I know it's only speculation, how do you think he would have done if Flightline wasn't in the race?

Thank you in advance.
He ran a terrific race and probably would have won without Flightline in there. Close but I think he ran the second best race.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
He ran a terrific race and probably would have won without Flightline in there. Close but I think he ran the second best race.
I agree with you. Those fractions were strong and I thought he did well to hold as long as he did. I heard a few say afterwards that it further confirmed that he can’t get 10f. I don’t agree with that. It’s obvious beyond his best distance but I don’t think that’s what got him beat.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited by King Glorious : 11-10-2022 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 11-11-2022, 07:09 AM
Jerome Park

People said Medaglia d'Oro couldn't get 10F despite him running his best races at that distance.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:07 PM
v j stauffer

I don't think we should allow FLIGHTLINE'S obvious unsoundness take away from what he's capable of doing.

What we saw in the six races was ability that is comparable to any dirt horse ever who is not named SECRETARIAT.

Saying FLIGHTLINE would have won SECRETARIAT'S Belmont nonsense.

Problem is in this day and age when we get one like this it's very hard to know what he's capable of. There's no competition to make him do his best.

His win in the Pacific Classic using whatever criteria you choose was either the best race ever run on dirt or more likely second best to Big Red.

MARGIN: 19 1/2 lengths

TIME: 1:59.28

COMPANY: COUNTRY GRAMMER a very serious, highly accomplished multiple Grade 1 winner.

SPEED FIGURE: A THOROGRAPH negative 8 1/2. A number Jerry Brown said he was extremely conservative with. Quoted as saying it could and may still become as fast as a negative 11. Could still get changed to that.

EYE TEST: The move leaving the 3/8th's pole was breathtaking.

It's sounds like most are willing to anoint him. But the 6 starts stands in the way.

I get that as it relates to accomplishments.

But what I saw with my own two eyes and felt with my heart.

This is either the best race horse or second best race horse ever to stand on this planet.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I don't think we should allow FLIGHTLINE'S obvious unsoundness take away from what he's capable of doing.

What we saw in the six races was ability that is comparable to any dirt horse ever who is not named SECRETARIAT.

Saying FLIGHTLINE would have won SECRETARIAT'S Belmont nonsense.

Problem is in this day and age when we get one like this it's very hard to know what he's capable of. There's no competition to make him do his best.

His win in the Pacific Classic using whatever criteria you choose was either the best race ever run on dirt or more likely second best to Big Red.

MARGIN: 19 1/2 lengths

TIME: 1:59.28

COMPANY: COUNTRY GRAMMER a very serious, highly accomplished multiple Grade 1 winner.

SPEED FIGURE: A THOROGRAPH negative 8 1/2. A number Jerry Brown said he was extremely conservative with. Quoted as saying it could and may still become as fast as a negative 11. Could still get changed to that.

EYE TEST: The move leaving the 3/8th's pole was breathtaking.

It's sounds like most are willing to anoint him. But the 6 starts stands in the way.

I get that as it relates to accomplishments.

But what I saw with my own two eyes and felt with my heart.

This is either the best race horse or second best race horse ever to stand on this planet.

Country Grammer is a serious racehorse? What does that mean he can seriously beat grade 2 and 3 stock comfortably when the pace is fast, and he trips out? I get the Flightline is awesome but Country Grammer I don't get. BTW Vic your eyes fooled you into believing Secret Oath was all that and a bag of chips. They are horses they make fools of players every day. In other compelling news, Jack Christopher has done enough. I was hoping to see him in the Cigar
Old 11-11-2022, 01:49 PM
Keeneland

Is Country Grammer really a serious racehorse?

Someone has to win these races. His first grade 1 win was over the mighty Royal Ship and Express Train. The best horse he ever beat was probably Hot Rod Charlie, who is okay, but no one considers him a serious horse.

Horses like Skip Away, Holy Bull, Cigar, etc. would have lapped these horses.

I get being dramatic is an effective way to present your argument, but lets at least be realistic about these horses.